• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
That's it ! Full name, the Broadmoor [unfortunate connotations for Britishers !] Pike's Peak Cog Railway -- standard-gauge rack line, Manitou Springs to the Peak's summit at 14,110 feet above sea level. Has long been worked, essentially, by rack diesel railcars: the change from steam to diesel traction began in the late 1930s.

Yore floor, pardner.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'd vaguely heard the name of one -- knew nothing re the other. Ended up Googling, and so disqualifying self -- had the right continent for the one I had (peripherally) heard of; but that was all.

DerekC

Established Member
Ok - time for clues. The first Connaught Tunnel is under water but was built by cut and cover. The second is about 13 times longer than the first and goes under Sir Donald.

341o2

Established Member
Would the London one be the East London railway Shoreditch - New Cross?

DerekC

Established Member
This question obviously didn't capture interest so I will give the answer and declare open floor:

Connaught Tunnel (UK) - 600m long - under the entrance to the Albert Dock in East London. Built by the Great Eastern Railway in 1878. Closed in 2006. Now reconstructed and ready for use as part of the Crossrail branch to Abbey Wood.

Connaught Tunnel (Canada) - 8082m long - under Rogers Pass through the Selkirk Mountains. Built by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1914-16. Still in use on one of the CPR's key East-West freight routes. (It is now single track, but duplicated by the Mount Macdonald Tunnel).

Open Floor

Calthrop

Established Member
I was interested, all right -- just, it caused me to Google prematurely and thus blow myself all over the map.

An affectionate kind-of-parody of a question about a year ago -- that one, concerning the Great Orme.

What rail-type tourist attraction long ago, had as its main competition for passengers: toboggans sliding downhill?

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm guessing that it's a Cliff Railway of some kind, so let's start with the Great Orme Tramway.

No -- the Great Orme line featured in the question posed last year, which inspired my question now.

A rail line of an adapted-for-steeply-climbing kind, is involved.

krus_aragon

Established Member
No -- the Great Orme line featured in the question posed last year, which inspired my question now.

A rail line of an adapted-for-steeply-climbing kind, is involved.
That would suggest a rack railway to me, but I've never heard of toboggans competing with the Snowdon Mountain Railway!

The only other rack railway that springs to mind is the Culdee Fell Railway, but that's a bit too fictional. If we're looking outside the UK, then I'm at a loss.

Glenmutchkin

Madeira?

EDIT To be more precise a line up the mountain from Funchal to Monte whose name I cannot recall. The toboganists are still in business.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Is the Isle of Man outside the British isles for the purposes of this question? If so, is the Snaefell Mountain Railway?

Calthrop

Established Member
Man no, Madeira yes: winner's laurels to @Glenmutchkin . Line was the Caminho do Ferro do Monte: metre-gauge steam rack railway, 1893 -- 1943. The toboggan "gig" was indeed going long before the railway's inception, and continues to flourish long after its closure.

@Glenmutchkin, your precipitous descent into the city.

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
no, 19th centuary and it was a scam.

Edit - Right continent though

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
Investment scam for which a prototype locomotive was built
Then another company appeared 10 years later with the same idea

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
The Holman train (or locomotive) was a scam investment "opportunity" in the USA, this prototype was built and claimed it could travel faster than a conventional locomotive. A few trial runs were made, on plain straight track, of course, as this contraption would probably derail at the first curve it encountered

There also was something similar, the Fontaine locomotives, where the driving wheels were on top of the boiler, examples were put into service, but, not surprisingly, proved to be inferior to compatible locomotives. Again, the claim was made that the Fontaine could travel faster (and was not a scam)

baldwinholman1b.jpg

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/holman/holman.htm

Image from Google, open floor declared

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Ah. I've come across that "idea" before (transferring motive power to multiple wheels to reduce wheelslip at the rail interface), but didn't know/remember that it was associated with the the name Holman.

Here's another question in the meantime, on a favourite subject of mine, the Britannia Tubular Bridge (see avatar <-):

When interviewed by a Commons Select Committee in 1845 about his plans to build a railway bridge across the Menai Straits, what reason did Robert Stephenson give for using two tubes?

krus_aragon

Established Member
was one to be used by foot/horsedrawn traffic?
No.

For the sake of clarity, the bridge was built with two tubes (as was the Conwy bridge), one for each running line. I'm looking for the reason that Stephenson decided it was necessary.