• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

DerekC

Established Member
Still on the theme of named trains - the Lorelei Express was a well-known train from Hook of Holland, one of the first international services to start up in the chaos after WWII. Initially in 1946 it ran to Basel and later to Chiasso in Italy. Less well known is that BR tagged on to the name (very late in the day) and ran a short-lived "connecting service" called the Loreley from Harwich. Where did the UK service run to, what route did it follow and what kind of stock was used?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I recall seeing class 156 units with window labels carrying that name, and if they went beyond Manchester I would have to guess at Liverpool.

Marton

I was going to guess LIVERPOOL too

Not sure whether to guess Holyhead or Blackpool.

I’ll go for Blackpool.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thank you.

I'll make this one ridiculously easy - and slightly corny for the amusement factor - as nobody wants a convulted one lasting several days over Xmas / New Year do they?

What links a Mk1 carriage with a Mk2 carriage?

xotGD

Established Member
Thank you.

I'll make this one ridiculously easy - and slightly corny for the amusement factor - as nobody wants a convulted one lasting several days over Xmas / New Year do they?

What links a Mk1 carriage with a Mk2 carriage?
Coupling, brake pipe, ETH cable, etc.

AndrewE

Established Member
Thank you.
I'll make this one ridiculously easy - and slightly corny for the amusement factor - as nobody wants a convulted one lasting several days over Xmas / New Year do they? What links a Mk1 carriage with a Mk2 carriage?
How about the buckeye couplings? First universal application (in UK) was on Mk 1s , whereas RCH lighting connectors and gangways were all in use earlier?
Or (on second thoughts) could it be the standardisation on Pullman gangways for all stock?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
"A coupling" was the bit I had in mind. The clue was the word "links".

Looks like xotGD got there first.... although strictly speaking I should have asked both of you "which one?" as you both gave multiple answers - but like I said, nobody wants convulted long questions over Xmas do they? :)

xotGD

Established Member
Thanks.

Which Class 37 was painted into a Police livery for a TV commercial?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks.

Which Class 37 was painted into a Police livery for a TV commercial?
Ah that’ll be 37093. Painted in supposedly ‘water soluble paint’, which turned out not to be, and required a full repaint into BR blue...

xotGD

Established Member
Ah that’ll be 37093. Painted in supposedly ‘water soluble paint’, which turned out not to be, and required a full repaint into BR blue...
Correct! It certainly gave me a surprise the first time I saw it in those colours. Over to you, and Merry Christmas.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Correct! It certainly gave me a surprise the first time I saw it in those colours. Over to you, and Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas to you too sir!
I think I’d better say open floor, otherwise I’ll probably get in trouble with the family...

SteveyBee131

Order might be wrong but, Junctions between York and Doncaster, possibly?
1. Colton
2. Hambleton North
3. Hambleton South
4. Temple Hirst
5. Joan Croft
6. Shaftholme

7. Marshgate

SteveyBee131

Only 1 of the ECML power cars was named after a depot (certainly of the GNER ones anyway), it was of course 43100 (which became 43300) Craigentinny.

So another clue, one of the pair that became the celebrities was named after a town with a long railway history. The other, after a county which you could be forgiven for thinking has delusions of grandeur.

SteveyBee131

@Marton is right with Doncaster, which was the name carried by 43112/312 while it was with GNER.

So what did GNER name 43006 when it came to the ECML? After a county, which if given it's full title sounds quite grand.