• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
So it's not the Buggleskelly Express, then?

(Sorry … three weeks of confinement is obviously having a bad effect on me!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
I'm guessing around 1955 with diesel traction after OVS Bulleid became CME of the CIE, resigning from the Southern in disagreement regarding nationalisation

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm guessing around 1955 with diesel traction after OVS Bulleid became CME of the CIE, resigning from the Southern in disagreement regarding nationalisation

Later than 1955, but you've got the correct traction - diesel

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A complete guess, a 201 class on The Enterprise?

Not The Enterprise I'm afraid; 90mph running on The Enterprise came in in September 1997 and IÉ had already been running at 100mph officially on the Cork line since May 1995.

So we have some point 1955-1995...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
One final clue, then I'll give the answer - the stock was an 071 and a rake of Mk3s that gives us a 10-years period now: 1984-1994.

xotGD

Established Member
Which class of diesel locomotive received the nickname "Bucket"?

Bonus points if you know why.

xotGD

Established Member
Class 40 isn’t it and they’re also called Whistlers? Assuming due to the noises they made?
Yes - Class 40. I believe that the Bucket name came from the size of the pistons/cylinders (upside down piston resembling a bucket?).

Whistler does of course come from the audio entertainment. Although it is more of a throaty roar when they are at full whack.

Over to you Mr M...

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Yes - Class 40. I believe that the Bucket name came from the size of the pistons/cylinders (upside down piston resembling a bucket?).

Whistler does of course come from the audio entertainment. Although it is more of a throaty roar when they are at full whack.

Over to you Mr M...

OPEN FLOOR

Calthrop

Established Member
My floor, I take it --

This question is to do with a country which was a participant in the First World War for the whole length of that conflict. Shortly before WWI, two different railway companies built and opened main lines across a part of that country, in rough and difficult terrain, aiming for broadly similar destinations. In a situation of what many might regard as "commercial competition gone berserk": over a distance of 160-odd km., the two lines were laid out and built absurdly closely parallel to each other -- pretty much, within sight of each other the whole way. In 1917, by government decree, this stretch of route(s) was made over into one single track, the use of which the two rivals were obliged to share -- the recovered rails etc., were sent off for use at or near the battlefront. (A few years later, both companies were merged within one overall undertaking.)

Please identify the country concerned; and, as accurately as possible ("marking" is planned not to be too ferocious) -- the area of the country / rail route(s) where this took place, and the two railway companies.

341o2

Established Member
Would that refer to British East Africa, German East Africa, and lake Tanganykia. The British line would be the Uganda Railway

Bedpan

Established Member
Canadian National and Canadian Pacific had parallel running along the Fraser Canyon in BC, in the area of Boston Bar to Hope, with one's line on one side of the river and the other's on the other. Both lines are still there and as far as I know are now unidirectional. So I suppose that it is reasonable to assume that the same thing happened elsewhere and that in some places the two stretches of track were combined into a single line. So my answer is a complete guess, since even if this did happen, I have no idea if it would havbe been as early as 1917.

Calthrop

Established Member
@Bedpan : your guess is sufficiently near-correct, that -- I said I wouldn't be over-strict or -exacting re the judging of answers -- I feel that you rate the OK. The portion of line(s) concerned, was indeed in the westerly parts of Canada, though well north-east of the Fraser Canyon: was in the west of Alberta, between, approximately, Edson, west of Edmonton; and Red Pass Junction, near Yellowhead Pass and the Alberta / BC border. The two stretches of track were indeed combined into a single line. The railways involved were two of the constituents of the Canadian National before it was the Canadian National: the Grand Trunk Pacific heading to Prince Rupert, and the Canadian Northern to Vancouver -- running further along its route, in the Fraser Canyon parallel to the CP as described by you. The Canadian National Railway was fully and finally incorporated in 1923, merging a number of Canadian rail undertakings including the GTP and the CNo.

It's over to you, for launching daring project to link east and west or whatever else takes your fancy...

Last edited:

Bedpan

Established Member
I’m not entirely sure that I deserv to be credited with a correct answer bearing in mind I had never heard of the Grand Trunk Pacific! I’m glad I put forward a guess though, it was worth it just for the extremely interesting information.

The answer to my question is far more mundane: the question being:-

What do Great Missenden, Bentley, Wilton South and Netley have in common?

Graham H

Well the line closed in 1970 and was DMU territory by then so I assume the "which loco" means something ran later than that and as freight somewhat unusually had ended before passenger service I can only assume perhaps it was some last railtour, inspection or track recovery train. No idea of loco type and like most of the participants here I am trying not to cheat by using the internet although I take it that rooting through old railway magazines is permissible as this quiz isnt just a test of memory especially as I was still at school back then.