• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

SteveM70

Established Member
Is the final link in this related to the signalman’s actions, given you say it’s “one of the causes”?

Is there a 5-5 bell code he should have given but didn’t?

A rule 55 that he broke?

Or am I miles out?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
A rule 55 that he broke?

Now you are talking - but it wasn't the signalman that broke it (although it was his actions that led directly the accident).

What didn't happen that should have done, given that the two light engines were waiting for 20 minutes on the down main line for a signal to clear?

341o2

Established Member
One crew member of the two light engines should have gone to the box and stayed to remind the signalman that they were there. After a wait of 3 minutes in clear weather, or immediately in the case of darkness, fog or snow
The signal box register should have noted that a member of the train crew attended under rule 55
Rule 55 was introduced after several incidents in the pre TCB era, where a signalman could forget there was already a train in section, and admit another.
One safety feature was the use of collars to lock certain levers to prevent conflicting movements

Edited to remove ambiguity re collars

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Spot on, @341o2. I quote from the LMS Rulebook of 1936 (I don't have a 1910 Midland version but I doubt if it was very different):

.. When a train has been brought to a stand owing to a stop signal being at Danger, the Driver must sound the engine whistle and, if the signal is not immediately lowered, the Guard, Shunter or Fireman must ... at once go to the signal box and remind the Signalman of the position of the train and .... remain in the box until permission is obtained for the train to proceed

I think the floor should belong to @GRALISTAIR for solving two parts of the puzzle.

Last edited:

Nick_C

Which European country has the highest proportion of preserved steam locomotives (relative to the number that worked in that country)?

Nick_C

It's not Austria, the UK, or Luxembourg, but it is a smaller country - not one well known for it's railways.

Calthrop

Established Member
Czech Republic? -- not terrifically well-known for its railways, compared to some...

Nick_C

Iceland ?
It is indeed Iceland, with 100% - two 900mm gauge steam locomotives were sent over for the Reykjavík Harbour Railway, both of which survive today, one in the Icelandic Folk Museum and the other plinthed in Reykjavik.

Your obscure and long-closed line...

On the Class 430 4REP units carried names behind the counter in the buffets - can you name them all please ?

Bonus points for the unit and name together

As nobody has made a guess yet --- here is a clue to the answers

They all begin with word THE --- 3 involved bodies of water --- 8 locations north of Woking --- 4 locations south of Woking

Hope that helps you get guessing the answers

Maybe other national parks then?

The Lake District
The Yorkshire Dales
The Peak District
Sorry there are no other national parks other than the New Forest - try rivers in the South or towns in the south on the Wessex route will help

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
The Isle of Wight
The Solent
The City of Southampton
The Weymouth Harbour
The Isle of Portland
The River Thames
The City of Winchester

(Wrong end of the country for me!)

The Isle of Wight