• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
A lighthearted one to keep the show on the road. Who were the railway staff immortalised in Ivor the Engine? And for a bonus point, what was the name of the diesel that appeared briefly in the series?

DerekC

Established Member
The Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited certainly employed Jones the Steam (Ivor's driver, although Ivor had fullt autonomous capabilities too) and Dai Station (stationmaster at Llaniog and keeper of The Rulebook).

There is one other essential function on railway operational staff lists, which seems to have been needed in the top left hand corner of Wales as much as anywhere else.

SteveM70

Established Member
There was a signalman but I’ve no idea what his name was. Presumably something from the big book of Welsh stereotypes. Trevor?

DerekC

Established Member

It was indeed Owen the Signal who performed this important function. The M&LRTCo must have been an early investor in Centralised Train Control, because it had only one signabox despite having four triangular junctions distributed at different points on the system. (This according to Quail - the map in my 1978 "Ivor the Engine Annual")

Now we have a tie - so to have the points set back to the main line at Tewyn or Llangubbin so that you can return to the world of reality, please name the other self-propelled rail mounted vehicle which featured briefly in the series. I did find a picture of it to help you along.

1689433351706.jpeg

Ashley Hill

Established Member
It was indeed Owen the Signal who performed this important function. The M&LRTCo must have been an early investor in Centralised Train Control, because it had only one signabox despite having four triangular junctions distributed at different points on the system. (This according to Quail - the map in my 1978 "Ivor the Engine Annual")

Now we have a tie - so to have the points set back to the main line at Tewyn or Llangubbin so that you can return to the world of reality, please name the other self-propelled rail mounted vehicle which featured briefly in the series. I did find a picture of it to help you along.

View attachment 139129
That pictures worth a caption competition all of its own :lol:.
“And this is Ivor’s replacement boyo. It’s government funded and built by Hitatchi so it must be good!.”

DerekC

Established Member
The diesel was a replacement for Ivor when he ran away to join the circus - but it wasn't a success as it broke down on its first trip and had to be recovered under donkey power - so I suppose you could call it a bi-mode. Its name came, I think, from the fact that Bynon Smith, who made it, forgot to include any brakes.

Calthrop

Established Member
I sometimes get taken to task on this particular quiz, for a perceived obsession with Irish railways, especially narrow-gauge ones. However -- emboldened by the just-above question from you, @Gloster -- here's mine.

There have been, running outward from termini in the city of Dublin -- in different respective directions -- two different-and-distinct roadside steam tramways with identities as such (both ceased to be, in different ways, a very long time ago vis-a-vis now). Please identify both -- any additional info, "welcome but not obligatory".

Gloster

Established Member
Sticking to Wales. For much of its existence the Neath & Brecon did not operate trains over the northern part of its line. Which company did?