• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
As I recall, the non-failsafe version was invented in Britain in the mid 1870s, with the failsafe version being developed in the USA a little later. I am going to guess 1879.

Calthrop

Established Member
Open floor, and no action for a fair few days -- I'll weigh in, if I may; hoping for folks' indulgence re my love of "gauge" stuff.

The railways of "British East Africa" as was -- Kenya / Uganda / Tanzania -- were for long (superseding by standard gauge, is now well "in train") metre-gauge: rather anomalous for that side of Africa, and especially for African territories whose railways were inaugurated under British rule. How did this come to be? -- especially re Kenya and Uganda? -- Tanzania, German until 1918/19, was "a different kettle of fish".

Calthrop

Established Member
This one doesn't seem to be going anywhere -- best put it out of its misery, I think. (Inspiration for setting questions, in short supply for me nowadays: breadth of my railway interest is not all that great -- no good on matters technical, little interest in or knowledge of "modern stuff".)

Kenya / Uganda came to be metre-gauge, because of being equipped as at the system's inception, turn of 19th / 20th centuries, from the resources of the metre-gauge "secondary main-lines" network of British India -- just "across the pond", so to speak. Britain's using the metre gauge on such a scale, in any capacity, at that time in history, seems a bit surprising (and it was just the gauge -- everything else conducted in Imperial measurements). Have seen it suggested that this was political finagling: a sop (which would cause least possible potential bother) to the then quite vociferous lobby in Britain, for our switching to the metric system.

I'd ask -- once again, open floor.

DerekC

Established Member
Well - I'll take a risk here because although I have done a bit of research, somebody else may know better than me!

What was or is the heaviest locomotive ever to enter service in the UK? (If a steam locomotive, without the tender).

SteveM70

Established Member
I will have a guess at the 16 wheel peaks (class 44) with steam boilers fitted. I am sure they were 130+ tons

The use of the singular "locomotive" makes me think this is going to be wrong, but the 46s were heavier than the 44s and 45s

DerekC

Established Member
The use of the singular "locomotive" makes me think this is going to be wrong, but the 46s were heavier than the 44s and 45s
The 46s were certainly the heavyweights amongst diesel locos at 138 tons (the 45s a little bit less at 133 tons)
I would guess the LNER Garrett.
But the LNER Class U1 2-8-0+0-8-2 weighed in at a huge 170 tons - so @Peterthegreat - the floor is yours.

However before handing over I thought Microsoft Copilot AI's response to the question might amuse - although in a way it's quite worrying! Here's a screenshot and I will transcribe below per the Forum requirements:

1712181406917.png

"The heaviest railway locomotive ever to operate in the UK was the GWR (Great Western Railway) 4073 Class, also known as the "Castle Class". These powerful steam locomotives were designed by the legendary engineer Sir Nigel Gresley and were renowned for their impressive performance."
Oh - and the piece ends with a nice picture of a "Dean Single".

Perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised - the sources quoted include the Daily Mail!

Last edited:

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Apologies for the delay I've been having Internet issues.
Following it's takeover by the military the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Rail was formally reopened to the public in 1947.
Who performed the opening ceremony?

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you.

What is, at the present day, the second-northernmost operational railway in the UK? (Not part of the national network; and a decidedly unusual specimen.) Just the name, would be an acceptable answer -- a "thumbnail" description would be welcome.