• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
OK - try this while Schnellzug's thinking:-

In the days of steam, what was one unauthorised use for the bucket while the crew of a steam-hauled freight train were held in a loop? [No - not as a WC!]

dzug2

To leave a bucket of coal at the lineside for onesself or one's mates to pick up later?

Welshman

Established Member
Interesting thoughts, both of you. But No!

Clue - this would not work with colour-light signalling.

Last edited:

dzug2

Pour hot water over the signal cables so that they would expand and.....

Not really sure what the result of that would be.

Welshman

Established Member
The signalman wouldn't be able to pull anything off until he'd tightened-up the wires. Then, when they'd cooled-down and contracted, the wire would break the next time he tried pulling it, throwing him across the floor of his box. I guess he would not be a happy man!

{the answer is "No" by the way!}

Welshman

Established Member
Perhaps! :)

I'm aware Schnellzug may want his turn now, so I'll give the answer I was looking-for.

If they were likely to be held in the loop for some time, I gather the crew would hang the empty bucket on the balance lever of the signal, and then settle down for a snooze. When the signalman eventually pulled the signal off, the extra clattering noise of the bucket falling on to the ballast would wake the crew!

So it was a useful alarm, although doing nothing for the shape of the bucket

Now, over to Schnellzug.

Zoe

Established Member
A fairly easy one now: Two BR succesive BR chairmen had the same name, what is this name?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Bob Reid, wasn't it? Chosen, of course, because their initials were BR.

True or false: Sir Peter Parker was the alter ego of Spiderman.

:roll:

:oops:

ole man

Easy one this to keep it going

Sitting in a railway station with a ticket for my destination? is a line from which Simon and Garfunkel song?

Welshman

Established Member
OK -

Where would it have been possible to approach a colour-light signal with the aspects red, yellow, yellow, red, showing vertically and simultaneously?

deltic1989

Established Member
I want to say some veriety of SPAD indicator. But if memory serves, they are 3 vertical reds flashing with STOP written on the middle one.

Welshman

Established Member
Sorry, no.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A clue is in the question:-

Where would it have been....

These signals are no longer found on the network, but they were.....