• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Nym is thinking on the right lines [if you'll pardon the metaphor!].
But it was nothing to do with open or leaky windows.

Welshman

Established Member
I think the scoop would break or buckle before that would have happened, but the front windows were the cause of concern.

GazK

Because the water would come in through the roof vents?

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

deltic1989

Established Member
Because the water would tend to engulf the tender and the first carrige of the train. in engulfing the tender the water could knock bits of coal out of the tender into the windscreen of the DMU?

Welshman

Established Member
Yes.
Deltic 1989 has got it!

If the fireman miscalculated and left it too late to wind the scoop out of the trough, the tender tank would overfill, causing water to gush out of the vents on the top, with the danger that lumps of coal could also be disturbed off the tender and into the path of the passing dmu.

Think of the wide expanse of glass at the front of some of the first gen dmus - particularly the early Derby Lightweights, or the Cl 104s, 108s etc, and you can imagine the disasterous results of hitting a lump of coal at 65-70 mph.

deltic1989

Established Member
Yes.
Deltic 1989 has got it!

If the fireman miscalculated and left it too late to wind the scoop out of the trough, the tender tank would overfill, causing water to gush out of the vents on the top, with the danger that lumps of coal could also be disturbed off the tender and into the path of the passing dmu.

Think of the wide expanse of glass at the front of some of the first gen dmus - particularly the early Derby Lightweights, or the Cl 104s, 108s etc, and you can imagine the disasterous results of hitting a lump of coal at 65-70 mph.

Really?!?! That was a total guess :D.

heres my question.

Apart from the stations, what connects the game of Monopoly with the railways?

Welshman

Established Member
i] One of the metal tokens used to mark your progress round the board is a railway locomotive.

ii] The game was thought to have been originally introduced to illustrate the tax theories of Henry George, a 19c American writer, politician and political economist. George did not support the buiding of new railroads, claiming they only benefitted the lucky few who invested in them. This gained him the enmity of the Central Pacific Railroad executives, who plotted to ensure his defeat in the elections to the Californian State Assembly.

deltic1989

Established Member
The colours are the same as tube line colours...

I had'nt noticed that, but now you come to mention it. but not the answer I'm looking for.

i] One of the metal tokens used to mark your progress round the board is a railway locomotive.

ii] The game was thought to have been originally introduced to illustrate the tax theories of Henry George, a 19c American writer, politician and political economist. George did not support the buiding of new railroads, claiming they only benefitted the lucky few who invested in them. This gained him the enmity of the Central Pacific Railroad executives, who plotted to ensure his defeat in the elections to the Californian State Assembly.
#

There isn't a loco in my set, but there may be in others.

All good answers but not what I'm looking for.

Nym

Established Member
Sovereign-pound-monopoly.jpg

The cash has pictures of trains on?

deltic1989

Established Member
It does, but the particular game of monopoly I am thinking of the cash that was exchanged didnt have pictures of trains on it.
Think of an event on the railways that would have involved a large amount of money, going missing.

Last edited:

dzug2

A monopoly set was found at Leatherslade Farm where the train robbers sorted the loot.

dzug2

Maybe a bit obscure but I'll try it:

What town (well village) has a Station Road but has never had a station?

clagmonster

Established Member
I know that Dartmouth had a station but no trains (it was for the ferry service to Kingswear), is this where we are heading with this?

dzug2

I know that Dartmouth had a station but no trains (it was for the ferry service to Kingswear), is this where we are heading with this?

I don't think Dartmouth has a Station Road - can't see one on Streetmap or its index anyway

If it has it's not the one I was thinking of.

I would imagine there are a few

One I am aware of is Station Road Mosborough in South Yorkshire

Never had a station and the one referred to in the road name was Killamarsh station some 3 miles away

dzug2

I would imagine there are a few

One I am aware of is Station Road Mosborough in South Yorkshire

Never had a station and the one referred to in the road name was Killamarsh station some 3 miles away

You may be right that there could be a few - but the Mosborough one does go all the way to the station.

The one I have in mind changes its name at the edge of town and even then it's a few miles before reaching the next town and 'a' station.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think this will go nowhere fast so it's time to call an end to it.

Chobham Surrey was the place I had in mind.

So it's Meridian Richard's if he wants it (as he had 'a' correct answer) and open floor if he doesn't

Welshman

Established Member
As Meridian Richard has not responded in the couple of days this game has been open, I'll post the following, but will happily withdraw it should he wish to take up his turn.

Another one from the days of steam lore!

What, allegedly [and I stress "allegedly"], did some steam crews used to do if they were slogging uphill with a heavy load, and were approaching a tunnel, and suspected the banker crew in the rear were not making a good enough effort?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Welshman;987880 What said:
, did some steam crews used to do if they were slogging uphill with a heavy load, and were approaching a tunnel, and suspected the banker crew in the rear were not making a good enough effort?

Something to do with relieving oneself in the fire in order to create foul smoke (or something along those lines).

Welshman

Established Member
Gosh - well done! That must be the record!

You're absolutely right - they would sometimes urinate into a bucket and pour the contents on to the fire just as they were entering the tunnel. Then they'd shut the firebox doors tightly, leaving behind them a stench in the tunnel from their exhuast so bad the banking crew couldn't get through there quickly enough!!

You turn, I assume, as Meridian Richard has not got back to us.