• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Ivo

Established Member
That Thailand one was easy ;) Seen as the floor is open, another one from my home area:

Of all the current stations on the LTS and southern GE (Southend/Southminster/Metro) that were built pre-nationalisation, which is the youngest?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
Of all the current stations on the LTS and southern GE (Southend/Southminster/Metro) that were built pre-nationalisation, which is the youngest?
Dagenham Dock? It could be argued that West Ham is as it was built before nationalization but was later closed and didn't reopen until 1998/1999.

Ivo

Established Member
West Ham is most certainly not what I am looking for. I mean a station that has been open continuously with LTS/GE operation. (But you knew that ;))

Dagenham Dock is one of the better answers, and having said this I expect this to be answered all too quickly. The station in question is on the Tilbury Loop, but is not Dagenham Dock.

Ivo

Established Member
That is correct. It was initially a Halt only for a local company, built in 1936 - three years after several stations in Southend.

Zoe

Established Member
On my journey from Paddington I lost my way from Great Western Main Line and ended up having to cross an entire desert. Where do I finally leave the desert and get back on the GWML?

Last edited:

deltic1989

Established Member
That Thailand one was easy ;)

I used wikipedia to formulate the question. I should really have known that someone would have the idea of looking up class 158 on wiki and finding it at the bottom of the page. :D

Ivo

Established Member
I used wikipedia to formulate the question. I should really have known that someone would have the idea of looking up class 158 on wiki and finding it at the bottom of the page. :D

You shouldn't even need Wiki for that! It's just plain easy. Isn't it Metre Gauge as well?

On my journey from Paddington I lost my way from Great Western Main Line and ended up having to cross an entire desert. Where do I finally leave the desert and get back on the GWML?

I haven't got the faintest idea what you mean by this :(

LE Greys

Established Member
Cogload Junction? I think the Berks & Hants is sometimes called 'the Desert', not sure why, and this is where you rejoin the Great Way Round.

:open floor if correct, I have an assignment to finish

Last edited:

Zoe

Established Member
Cogload Junction? I think the Berks & Hants is sometimes called 'the Desert', not sure why, and this is where you rejoin the Great Way Round.
Correct, it may well be the Great Way Round but it's still designated the Main Line. Only one down train and two up trains use the entire GWML from Paddington to Penzance via Bath each weekday. The Berks and Hants is known as the desert I believe as it passes through large sections of open countryside with not much interesting to see.

Last edited:

dzug2

Try this one - not 100% sure of the answer but I'm sure I will get corrected if wrong.

Where are the nearest lower quadrant semaphore signals still in operational use to central London?

Ivo

Established Member
Deleted; not paying attention and reading the next page :roll:

I did get Greenford though :)

P.S.: What is meant by "Lower Quadrant"?

Zoe

Established Member
What is meant by "Lower Quadrant"?
Where the semaphore arm moves downwards when the signal is pulled off. Some railway companies however did things the *wrong way and had the semaphore arm move upwards.

*There are two ways to run the railway: The GWR way and the wrong way.

Welshman

Established Member
Where the semaphore arm moves downwards when the signal is pulled off. Some railway companies however did things the *wrong way and had the semaphore arm move upwards.

*There are two ways to run the railway: The GWR way and the wrong way.

I know you won't believe this, but I hear there were also some railways companies which adopted the 4ft 8.5" gauge instead of the proper 7ft 1" one!
:) :)

Ivo

Established Member
One for all you station buffs out there...

The first station alphabetically, Abbey Wood, has eight different characters in its name, including the space (ABEY WOD). Using this template, how many different characters are used across the entire National Rail network, and what they?

LE Greys

Established Member
At least 29, if you include the entire alphabet plus Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3, plus Terminal 4 and Terminal 5.

clagmonster

Established Member
At least 25 letters of the alphabet are used (I can't think of a use of the letter 'z' off hand, though I wouldn't be surprised if somebody came up with one. Special characters are the apostrophe, arpesand, space and hyphen. That gives 29.
Are the Heathrow Stations on the National Rail network? I think beyond Airport Junction it is essentially a private railway.