• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rutland23

Oakham Brooke crossing box disappeared many years ago, along with the crossing itself some time later (after a fatality, I believe.)

The remaining boxes along the line are :

Frisby
Melton Mowbray
Whissendine
Ashwell
Langham Junction
Oakham
Manton Junction
Ketton
Uffington & Barnack

along with two staffed level crossings at

Wyfordby
and Wymondham.

Apart from the two manned level crossings, which have no control over trains,

Only one of the above signal boxes can be switched out.

Which one, and why?

Regards

Ian

Gloster

Established Member
Having looked at the track diagrams, I will rule myself out. However, there is an obvious reason why most of the boxes can’t switch out: this leaves two and I can make an educated guess as to which one can switch out.

Rutland23

All the 'Boxes along the line are manned 24/7, and currently there seems to be enough reliefs to cover holiday or sickness.

How long that lasts, I don't know.

But there have been times when the shift at Melton has not been able to be covered, or he has been redeployed to cover a short term shortage at another box.

It is still the only box which can be switched out along the line.

Why?

Regards

Ian

Rutland23

Because it's the only box without a level crossing?

Correct.

All the other boxes control 1 or more level crossings on public roads.

Melton has control of 4 user worked/accommodation crossings as well as the Barrow Crossing at the station (for disabed access to the down platform), which can all be switched through to Frisby if it needs to close.

@D6130, you have the floor.

Regards

Ian

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm certain that it was before Mussolini allegedly sorted these general matters out ...

Edited to add -- Embarrassing confession: something just stirred in my memory -- looked back via the "search" facility; and yes, roughly two and a half years ago I set a question on "Railway General Knowledge", about the dates (year) of rail nationalisation in a bunch of different European countries -- including Italy ! Date thereof, I had looked up for the purpose; and subsequently forgotten :oops:. Obviously in these circumstances, I can't submit as an answer here, this which I now know. Senile dementia looms ...

Last edited:

martinsh

Established Member
Would you like to guess the exact date for the bonus glass of prosecco before setting the next question?
I haven't a clue !

So on to the next question

What operational feature is shared by the following stations

Chester
Derby
Exeter St Davids
Redhill
Leeds

NB this isn't a complete list, but there aren't many others in this category

RDP

I know my previous answer is wrong as i have now worked out the correct one.

These are all through stations where trains reverse en route. Birmingham-Holyhead at Chester, Cardiff-Nottingham at Derby, Exmouth-Paignton at Exeter St. Davids, Reading Gatwick at Redhill and Kings Cross-Bradford at Leeds. One could also add Shrewsbury (Birmingham-Aberystwyth), Birmingham New Street (Reading Newcastle) and Reading (Manchester-Bournemouth) to the list.

martinsh

Established Member
These are all through stations where trains reverse en route. Birmingham-Holyhead at Chester, Cardiff-Nottingham at Derby, Exmouth-Paignton at Exeter St. Davids, Reading Gatwick at Redhill and Kings Cross-Bradford at Leeds. One could also add Shrewsbury (Birmingham-Aberystwyth), Birmingham New Street (Reading Newcastle) and Reading (Manchester-Bournemouth) to the list.
That's correct - well done !

I also came up with Ely, Bristol Temple Meads, Castleford, Gloucester and Sheffield

Your turn to change driving cabs

RDP

Try this one.

It is possible to get to London in both directions from Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate and Dover Priory stations but which is the odd one out and why?