• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig1122

I'm in SWR land and they're terrible. Inaccurate information both in general tweets and replies to people. They're now using jargon which I thought had been widely agreed isn't suitable for customer facing Comms, 'Track circuit failure' being one. And my absolute bugbear 'We have been informed of...' as if a problem isn't really any of their concern, it's a phrase which implies absolutely no ownership.

Last weekend there was a signal failure at Barnes, they tweeted that everything was fixed at about 2000 with just residual delays. Diversions were still in place with the failure still ongoing over 4 hours later. Just embarrassing and no way to get customers back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperNova

I'm in SWR land and they're terrible. Inaccurate information both in general tweets and replies to people. They're now using jargon which I thought had been widely agreed isn't suitable for customer facing Comms, 'Track circuit failure' being one. And my absolute bugbear 'We have been informed of...' as if a problem isn't really any of their concern, it's a phrase which implies absolutely no ownership.

Last weekend there was a signal failure at Barnes, they tweeted that everything was fixed at about 2000 with just residual delays. Diversions were still in place with the failure still ongoing over 4 hours later. Just embarrassing and no way to get customers back.
That's because they rely on control messages. If the information they're getting isn't correct, it's via control. And if control is busy and they are not physically in a ROC, then they're subject to similar messages that front line staff receive.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That's because they rely on control messages. If the information they're getting isn't correct, it's via control. And if control is busy and they are not physically in a ROC, then they're subject to similar messages that front line staff receive.
Are SWR’s social media team not based in Control? That’s where every SM team ought to be.

Craig1122

SM does highlight that passengers at the scene may have the most up to date information, or information that those managing the situation would rather was not publicly shared. Pre internet it was easier to have an official line that didn't quite match the truth.

I can recall one where a train had caught fire. SM team were quite vehemently insisting this wasn't the case until passengers on scene started replying with pictures!

Howardh

Established Member
I suppose in that respect the rail accounts do take a degree of owwnership, the one I use most is Northern who seem to be on-the-ball most of the time, but wish they would stay active until the last train has arrived, I think they shut down at ten so not much use if you are stranded afterwards.

But on the other hand....Manchester Airport have their own twitter account, but if someone writes in "my baggage is delayed" the answer is "contact the handler" (but provide no link) or "I've been in the passport queue for two hours" "Contact the home office (ditto)" or "I've been trying to check in for two hours" "Not our problem mate, contact your airline (ditto)" so having a twitter conversation with them gets you nowhere!

I also note that some individual stations such as Euston have their own twitter account, which I used when it looked like there were cancellations in the early evening, so always worth typing the station name into search.

But I reckon the best source of up-to-date information is, er, here!

dosxuk

Established Member
The premise holds across all fields trains compete with bus , planes , ferries and on some routes other train companies, That interaction online might be the first interaction a customer has with a company , and if forms the base line of the reletionship going forward
Apart from a handful of journeys in the entire country, rail doesn't compete with the other modes - the other modes offer alternatives to those unwilling or unable to use the train. I doubt anyone in the entire country has chosen to fly between London and Glasgow simply because they had a bad experience with Virgin's social media team.

And does anyone really have their first interaction with a transport operator by social media? For most people it will be trying to navigate the chaos of trying to purchase a ticket.

jon0844

Veteran Member
An engaging, witty , instresting social media presence is a near free way to boost customer perceptions and improve sales

As I'm sure you've seen (or maybe not as you can't find the accounts), a lot of people are not interested in humour when things go wrong. Indeed, anyone seemingly making light of a situation when there's major disruption that causes people to miss flights, theatre evenings or whatever can very quickly find themselves under fire and bringing threats to boycott said company.

Maybe it's a bit different in a retail environment.

People want information, empathy and support. It's also good when the social media accounts stamp down on people throwing abuse at them or other staff, as many have done (and you'll usually see TOCs uniting in solidarity against said persons). Having some lighthearted fun is best reserved for when no TOC is in CSL2!

GTR's social media team is based at the ROC, so they have access to the necessary information but must presumably be mindful of what info they post in a developing situation, as people often get upset if they read a Tweet that says one thing and a few minutes later, something else happens (the way Twitter can show Tweets can confuse matters, if it's not chronological but based on the Tweets with the most engagement).

Likewise, large TOCs will have the possibility of loads of individual questions coming all at once. Messages from people at different stations wanting to know relevant information to them, and possibly multiple incidents taking place at once.

Last edited:

SuperNova

Are SWR’s social media team not based in Control? That’s where every SM team ought to be.
Not sure about SWR, but AFAIK social media were based in control until Covid hit, but were WFH thereafter. AT my TOC, I heard they've not gone back into the ROC as yet...

Dr Hoo

Established Member
There is no training at GTR. They just make it up as they go along, and get it wrong a lot of the time
Quiet a claim to make.
Can you provide substantial evidence of this ?
or it just an accusation because they don’t give you a reply you agree with ?

I have no connection with GTR but am interested in how you come to this conclusion
I can verify this users claim.
How does this fit with GTR's Passenger Licence (issued by the ORR)?

"Condition 4: Information for Passengers
Purpose
1. The purpose is to secure the provision of appropriate, accurate and timely information to enable railway passengers and prospective passengers to plan and make their journeys with a reasonable degree of assurance, including when there is disruption."

As I read it, this would seem to embrace 'social media'/Twitter.

Worm

First Group’s Twitter pages (local bus divisions included) are always more the dreariest, Stagecoach Twitter pages are quite good with public engagement.

Whoever runs the Stagecoach Manchester Twitter page always retweets and compliments photos from enthusiasts for example.

Davester50

First Group’s Twitter pages (local bus divisions included) are always more the dreariest, Stagecoach Twitter pages are quite good with public engagement.

Whoever runs the Stagecoach Manchester Twitter page always retweets and compliments photos from enthusiasts for example.
That's the problem though. You're not wanting to scroll past inane chat from "fanbois" to get to the information section.
Sure have a fan site, but don't confuse that engagement with a (close to) real time source of information.

Frothy_B

Why is it? Plenty of people manage perfectly well without it.
I would assume it's a way of connecting with the younger generations and more specifically their target demographics within that generation.

I'm in my 30's and social media doesn't do alot for me, but I am in a very small minority for my age group. I also don't particularly care about a companies values, or engagement with them beyond the service or product I want from them, yet its becoming more and more important to people.

I just accept I'm a dinosaur before my time and let them all get on with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.