• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Stations Without Tracks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gsnedders

Established Member
Nor are the first three I thought of - Kelvinbridge, Botanic Gardens and Kirklee. All in Glasgow as are many more.

Unless I'm very blind, Kelvinbridge doesn't have any platforms remaining and the station building was demolished following arson in the 1970s (IIRC!).

Harbornite

Established Member
Did I mention Wombourn, Tettenhall, Gornal, Compton and Himley? The first two stations are very well preserved and still have goods sheds and offices.

Mr Fizz

Did I mention Wombourn, Tettenhall, Gornal, Compton and Himley? The first two stations are very well preserved and still have goods sheds and offices.

I mentioned Wombourne and Tettenhall in post #89. I haven't seen the other three so dont know how well preserved they are. Is Wombourne still a cafe?

Harbornite

Established Member
I mentioned Wombourne and Tettenhall in post #89. I haven't seen the other three so dont know how well preserved they are. Is Wombourne still a cafe?

Ah, I searched for Wombourn but it didn't come up, presumably because you spelled it incorrectly? Anyway, I'm not sure if it still a cafe and the other stations on the line were halts and all that remains are platforms.

LowLevel

Established Member
Wombourne is still a cafe on the footpath over the railway trackbed and is spelt interchangeably without or with an 'e'.

Harbornite

Established Member
Wombourne is still a cafe on the footpath over the railway trackbed and is spelt interchangeably without or with an 'e'.

The GWR always spelled the station without the e to avoid confusion with another station, but the town has the e in the name.

Harbornite

Established Member
Has Ashley Heath been mentioned?

265px-Ashley_Heath_Station.jpg

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
There’s some fascinating surviving stations on the Lincoln to Woodhall Jn cycle path (now known as the Water Rail Way).

Bardney
2456408_93fe5eec.jpg

Southrey
2654500_f106b7f8.jpg

Stixwould
523846_bf016481.jpg

Woodhall Junction
woodhall_junction5.jpg

Julia

The platform at New Bradwell (Newport Pagnell branch) still exists as part of a cycle route along the branch.

duffield

Established Member
Aysgarth Falls.

Worth a mention because I hope the tracks will return before I snuff it!

(The Wensleydale Railway hope to extend from Redmire to Aysgarth Falls at some point. Aysgarth Falls station cottage is currently a holiday let).

infobleep

Veteran Member
Although not complete as such, I believe part of the platform at Chelsea and Fulham still exist. That's on the west London Line.

If I remember correctly, part of the platform at Swadlincote still exists. It's part of a housing estate now.

RichJF

Baynards, Bramley & Wonersh: Both on the Cranleigh line & you can cycle through the middle.

Hartfield, (has a nursery/house in the old station building & platform intact), Withyham down in 'Winnie the Pooh country'. They're both on the old T Bridges - T Wells line.

As said in the thread, quite a few in the SE that still exist.

brompton rail

There's one or 2 on the Monsal Trail that was once the railway from Matlock to Buxton, Millers Dale springs to mind

Bakewell being another - platforms and buildings still there.

Hassop station is, of course, a very popular restaurant, book shop and cycle hire centre. You can sit at tables on the down platform and see loads of .... walkers and cyclists 'steam' past!

Similarly the Tissington Trail in Derbyshire (Ashbourne to Parsley Hay) has a number, including Tissington and Hartington. Both have toilets and other facilities to cater for tourists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.