• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Suicide, Is it becoming more of an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

Basically, as it says above, It seems more and more people are turing to the railway in a desperate plea to end their lives. Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more incidents like this recently?

I recall just over the last 48 hours there have been 4 attempts in the Great Western network, and now reports or a "one under" at West Hampstead

If this is becoming more of a problem, what do you think should be done to at least try and tackle it?, I don't really think these "Samaritan" Signs help much.

I know that station staff undergo special training from The Samaritans to help deal with people who are standing on the platform edge about to do this kinda thing, apparently this course teaches them what to say to the person and gives them tools to handle the situation properly.

Would it not be a good idea to make this kind of course available to everybody?
after all I truly believe that simple skills saves lives.

Anyway, what's your thought's and suggestions ? (:

Ps. my thoughts are really with the train crew involved in these incidents, it really can not be easy witnessing something like that.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
Short of putting Jubilee line style barriers up on the platforms at high-risk stations (which wouldn't be very practical), I don't think there's a lot which can be done. I think a lot of it has been brought on by the ongoing financial problems in this country, with some people sadly feel like there's only one way out. It's a bad situation all around, really. :(

TheEdge

Established Member
Basically, as it says above, It seems more and more people are turing to the railway in a desperate plea to end their lives. Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more incidents like this recently?

Frankly I doubt its a problem limited to the railways. Given the last few years we have had with people losing job/houses and generally being recession hit I would probably guess suicide rates generally have gone up, not just on the railway.

Antman

Established Member
Yes suicides generally have increased for various reasons, its hard to see what more the rail industry can reasonably do, apparently the GWR lines out of Paddington have the highest rate in the UK.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
According to the Samaritans, it is estimated that 4% of suicides in the UK take place on the railway - when you consider they estimate that there were 5608 suicides in the whole country last year, that would be approximately 225 railway suicides. That's quite a number, hence the poster campaign, especially aimed at men between 30-55 as they are deemed the highest risk group (80% of railway suicides are men).

I've attended the Managing Suicidal Contacts course earlier this year, and found it to be interesting. It certainly makes the prospect of approaching a vulnerable person less daunting, though as the trainer himself acknowledged, it can still be an intimidating situation. The aim is to try to lead them to a place of safety and ensure that they are put in touch with the right people to provide them with help and support (via Samaritans).

Every time I hear of one of these awful incidents my thoughts go out to not just the train crew, but also the BTP officers, paramedics and Network Rail staff who are responsible for the clean up after the incident. It must be a truly awful job.

quarella

There is a lot of pressure in work, financially etc and a lot of people are looking for a way out. Could it be considered that the demands for information and the instant medium such as the internet may have caused some to consider the railway as the means. Not many years ago you would not be aware of someone committing suicide on the railway unless it was local to you and reported in the local paper or it affected your journey. Publicly the railway industry advised of "delays and cancellations due to an incident."
Now "person hit by train" or "fatality" are on the National Rail website for all to see along with news from around the country and, indeed reports on this forum. If someone has reached the point of deciding they can't go on then is it not conceivable that the reports of the "successes" are going to register. Of course other methods are available but they don't get the publicity as proved by a family friend who got a few lines in his local paper.

Antman

Established Member
According to the Samaritans, it is estimated that 4% of suicides in the UK take place on the railway - when you consider they estimate that there were 5608 suicides in the whole country last year, that would be approximately 225 railway suicides. That's quite a number, hence the poster campaign, especially aimed at men between 30-55 as they are deemed the highest risk group (80% of railway suicides are men).

I've attended the Managing Suicidal Contacts course earlier this year, and found it to be interesting. It certainly makes the prospect of approaching a vulnerable person less daunting, though as the trainer himself acknowledged, it can still be an intimidating situation. The aim is to try to lead them to a place of safety and ensure that they are put in touch with the right people to provide them with help and support (via Samaritans).

Every time I hear of one of these awful incidents my thoughts go out to not just the train crew, but also the BTP officers, paramedics and Network Rail staff who are responsible for the clean up after the incident. It must be a truly awful job.

I'm suprised actually I'd have thought it would be more than 4% although obviously one is one too many.

A few years back I was filming HST's passing through Ivor at the end of the platform when I was approached by two plain clothed BTP officers, when I explained what I was doing they were fine but said about the high number of suicides on that line and a report of somebody standing at the end of the platform clearly not waiting for a train raised concerns.

As you say it must be an awful job for everybody concerned.

trainophile

Established Member
There is a lot of pressure in work, financially etc and a lot of people are looking for a way out. Could it be considered that the demands for information and the instant medium such as the internet may have caused some to consider the railway as the means. Not many years ago you would not be aware of someone committing suicide on the railway unless it was local to you and reported in the local paper or it affected your journey. Publicly the railway industry advised of "delays and cancellations due to an incident."
Now "person hit by train" or "fatality" are on the National Rail website for all to see along with news from around the country and, indeed reports on this forum. If someone has reached the point of deciding they can't go on then is it not conceivable that the reports of the "successes" are going to register. Of course other methods are available but they don't get the publicity as proved by a family friend who got a few lines in his local paper.

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head there. Only the other day, we were watching a programme about dementia, and my husband said "I'll throw myself under a train before I get to that stage". To say I was fuming with him is an understatement! I subjected him to a ten minute lecture about how totally selfish and inconsiderate that would be for everyone involved, and ended up telling him to chuck himself off Beachy Head instead! That way it's only the poor s0ds who have to pick up the pieces, and they must get used to it.

I'm sure he didn't really mean it, but it was his first thought, and I'm sure he's not the only one nowadays :(.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm trying to dig out the stats- I can find Network Rail documents from a couple of years ago saying that suicides were on a downward trend. I'm convinced they publish quarterly figures showing monthly numbers, but I can't find them at the moment.

TDK

Established Member
Short of putting Jubilee line style barriers up on the platforms at high-risk stations (which wouldn't be very practical), I don't think there's a lot which can be done. I think a lot of it has been brought on by the ongoing financial problems in this country, with some people sadly feel like there's only one way out. It's a bad situation all around, really. :(

If they are going to do it the barriers will mean they just have to pick somewhere else! Suicide on the railways is seasonal believe it or not with January generally being the highest risk month.

When you look at the stats many suicides are people with mental health issues so the only improvement I can see is to address the problems that these people are facing and in turn this may lower the figures.

To be honest to jump in front of a train you must be rock bottom. No matter what happened to me I could never have the courage to do it!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Short of putting Jubilee line style barriers up on the platforms at high-risk stations (which wouldn't be very practical)...(

There are no practical access prevention solutions on the wider railway anyway, including at the thousands of overbridges and level crossings. Not to mention ordinary wire fencing alongside thousands of miles of fields...

tbtc

Veteran Member
It's hard to answer the OP's question because there's so much more information nowadays about such fatalities - the internet has given us all access to these stories that would have "slipped under the radar" a few years ago

another smith

I'm trying to dig out the stats- I can find Network Rail documents from a couple of years ago saying that suicides were on a downward trend. I'm convinced they publish quarterly figures showing monthly numbers, but I can't find them at the moment.

I would've thought they don't publish those numbers in order to discourage copycat attempts.

ModernRailways

Established Member

I doubt those draught prevention barriers would work, you have to factor in platform ends, also installing barriers means trains have to line up perfectly and have to follow a uniform door layout and train layout. The Jubilee line barriers are in the Underground stations because they are easy to install there - they were installed as draught prevention to help stop draught from the train as they arrive.

The problem is, is there are still so many places that you could it at, like mentioned there are level crossings, bridges, in fields, in tunnels.

I don't understand how people can bring themselves to do it, my only guess is that people go with the intention of doing it, then they do it's just a quick jump or fall into the path of a train and it's over.

In my opinion, you can't stop it, and no-one ever will. Suicide is (sadly) how some people choose to go, there will be some people who you will be able to stop by the way they are acting. Some however will just look like another passenger waiting for their train.

I may sound stupid here, but I would say it's better to go to a train station as they have more chance of being stopped by staff. If they go to a bridge, or a cliff or somewhere remote, then they have no chance of being stopped and helped out. Obviously, I feel sorry for staff, and after having a driver friend on the Metro witness one it took him ages to come back around and start driving again. I remember chatting to him about suicides on the railways prior to the incident (about a year earlier) and him saying 'Oh they're all just selfish b*****ds with no thought for anyone else'. Then after the incident he had totally changed his mind, he couldn't help but feel extremely sorry for everyone, especially the family. He wanted to find out why the person did it amongst other things.

crispy1978

They certainly do seem to be more of a frequent occurrence. My twitter feed usually has one per day.

I don't think it is ever possible to stop these incidents. At the end of a day, if someone is intent on doing it, they will go wherever it is easiest to do it. Be that in the middle of nowhere, in a tunnel, off the top of a bridge, etc - you can't build 30 feet high brick walls with razor wire round every single rail line, and even if you did, the most determined would still get through it. Plus, it would spoil the view of the casual train passenger.

I often wonder how many people who are "struck by trains" survive - I've heard of quite a few recently being "hit" by a train but surviving, even if it means amputating a limb, etc.

Antman

Established Member
You've absolutely hit the nail on the head there. Only the other day, we were watching a programme about dementia, and my husband said "I'll throw myself under a train before I get to that stage". To say I was fuming with him is an understatement! I subjected him to a ten minute lecture about how totally selfish and inconsiderate that would be for everyone involved, and ended up telling him to chuck himself off Beachy Head instead! That way it's only the poor s0ds who have to pick up the pieces, and they must get used to it.

I'm sure he didn't really mean it, but it was his first thought, and I'm sure he's not the only one nowadays :(.

There is actually a record by Bruno Mars called Grenade which refers to jumping in front of a train
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would've thought they don't publish those numbers in order to discourage copycat attempts.

I really don't think it would encourage copycat attempts to be honest
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I doubt those draught prevention barriers would work, you have to factor in platform ends, also installing barriers means trains have to line up perfectly and have to follow a uniform door layout and train layout. The Jubilee line barriers are in the Underground stations because they are easy to install there - they were installed as draught prevention to help stop draught from the train as they arrive.

The problem is, is there are still so many places that you could it at, like mentioned there are level crossings, bridges, in fields, in tunnels.

I don't understand how people can bring themselves to do it, my only guess is that people go with the intention of doing it, then they do it's just a quick jump or fall into the path of a train and it's over.

In my opinion, you can't stop it, and no-one ever will. Suicide is (sadly) how some people choose to go, there will be some people who you will be able to stop by the way they are acting. Some however will just look like another passenger waiting for their train.

I may sound stupid here, but I would say it's better to go to a train station as they have more chance of being stopped by staff. If they go to a bridge, or a cliff or somewhere remote, then they have no chance of being stopped and helped out. Obviously, I feel sorry for staff, and after having a driver friend on the Metro witness one it took him ages to come back around and start driving again. I remember chatting to him about suicides on the railways prior to the incident (about a year earlier) and him saying 'Oh they're all just selfish b*****ds with no thought for anyone else'. Then after the incident he had totally changed his mind, he couldn't help but feel extremely sorry for everyone, especially the family. He wanted to find out why the person did it amongst other things.

I can understand your Metro friends comments and I'd have felt the same but I witnessed a failed suicide attempt (not railway related) a few years ago and my attitude also changed completely

EM2

Established Member

jopsuk

Veteran Member
They certainly do seem to be more of a frequent occurrence. My twitter feed usually has one per day.
I reckon you hint at what is actually happening. The figures suggest (though there aren't any for this year yet) that the rate fluctuates a bit but is pretty static- however, mass awareness of an incident anywhere on the network is much higher due to social media. Not saying this is a bad thing, just saying that's what is happening.

daikilo

Established Member
There actually seems to be an upward trend. If we use a 3 year rolling average (to iron out annual fluctuations) the figures are:

2004 194
2005 194
2006 202
2007 215
2008 220
2009 217
2010 220
2011 218
2012 224

and the population has increased and, with that, I suggest the max/min do not show a significant trend. Indeed, if we consider 2007 was a boom time then "only" 9 more in 2012 is an meritous achievement.

Sadly, if you want to commit suicide you tend to look for an opportunity to succeed or one to draw attention of other people to your plight (calling for help) i.e. walking into the track of a train in the country or stepping off a platform in full view.

Most suicides can be prevented, but only before they get anywhere near a railway, alone.

ReverendFozz

It is not just staff, train crew, BTP who could be seriously affected by this, passengers too very easily get caught up in it, as I have said before, when I was 15/16, I witnessed a one-under at Kings Cross-St Pancras Tube Station and it scarred me for years, had nightmares about, and would not use the Tube when I was in London, although I would use it these days, I would still get a sweat on and be nervous as hell at the prospect, I generally panic when I see someone stood on a platform edge.

I have been in a suicidal situation myself, I got drunk and perched myself on Durham Viaduct, I was sat at a point where platform staff could not see, I was waiting for a non-stop train to come speeding through where the draft off he train would have blew me off, I decided on that method because of where I was perched, the driver would not have seen me and would have known very little about it. I was lucky, while I knew I could not be seen from the Platform, being drunk, forgot there was people below who notified the Police, and a kind hearted BTP officer stood with me for about 20 minutes just talking about football and sport, it may have wasted valuable man hours and caused delays coming through the station, but it was ultimately positive, as I ended up with the help I needed at that point in life

Anyone who says suicide is self centered and selfish, well, yes is it, but also not at the same time, the person who is taking there has it so engrained in there mind, and I have displayed these feeling myself, of complete worthlessness, a burden and that nobody loved or cared for me, a very depressed mind is an awkward one, no sense of reality by believing in there heart that what there doing is the only way out without thinking about the consequences...People will commit suicide by train because of the high chance of it succeeding, get hit by a train and 99.9% of the time it is game over and your not getting up from it

I dont know what more can be done to prevent death in this manner, Platform Edge doors just means people will go elsewhere, a lineside somewhere, a station without platform doors etc. Maybes Network Rail and BTP could start an initiative where trained counsellors Volunteer at Suicide blackspots who could be on hand when situations arise

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There actually seems to be an upward trend. If we use a 3 year rolling average (to iron out annual fluctuations) the figures are:

For context the overall UK suicide rate would be useful- this would show if there's a rail-specific trend or if it is part of a more general trend.

I still think the main issue is that people are more aware of them happening.

Zamracene749

Seems to me that trains are considered a very effective suicide method though.

Head on the track, guillotine, job done. Been very very damned close to doing it myself, life seems hell sometimes. I (obviously)couldn't see it through and went home, broken because at the last minute the thought of the effect on my family and (at the time) absent kids stopped me. But you only get one go, so as crap as life can be, I beg anyone considering it- life can and does change. Very few people are worth less than anybody else, and your own life is precious and short enough anyway. As my Grandad used to say 'You're a long time dead, don't waste the time you have worrying about them that's not worth it'

As a related aside, it isn't just the railways that suffer this problem, my father in later years was a truck driver and had two suicides in a similar manner.
One failed student jumped from an overbridge in Leeds in front of his truck, the other was a farmer that drove his car head on into his truck on the A1 near Dunbar, fast enough to bend the truck chassis. Neither survived, don't think dad ever got any counselling or leave mind but that was the 70s......

Antman

Established Member

Head on the track, guillotine, job done. Been very very damned close to doing it myself, life seems hell sometimes. I (obviously)couldn't see it through and went home, broken because at the last minute the thought of the effect on my family and (at the time) absent kids stopped me. But you only get one go, so as crap as life can be, I beg anyone considering it- life can and does change. Very few people are worth less than anybody else, and your own life is precious and short enough anyway. As my Grandad used to say 'You're a long time dead, don't waste the time you have worrying about them that's not worth it'

As a related aside, it isn't just the railways that suffer this problem, my father in later years was a truck driver and had two suicides in a similar manner.
One failed student jumped from an overbridge in Leeds in front of his truck, the other was a farmer that drove his car head on into his truck on the A1 near Dunbar, fast enough to bend the truck chassis. Neither survived, don't think dad ever got any counselling or leave mind but that was the 70s......

I would suggest anybody feeling that way should contact Samaritans.

I saw an attempted suicide involving a lorry, the driver managed to swerve and the young lady (about 18) only received a glancing blow and survived without serious injury, shocking to see though.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
All this discussion of the figures is slightly meaningless unless we also know how many unsuccessful attempts have been made. It is perfectly possible for the number of attempts to decline while the toll rises and vice versa.

ReverendFozz

You have my respect mate for posting your own personal account, putting your story public takes a lot of guts to talk about in the most public of ways...

It is good to hear you could not see it through, at least you are still here to tell the tale and use your experience to raise awareness and warn others of the danger

amcluesent

I appreciate this is an emotive issue, but surely we need a more robust response to a suicide then stopping all trains for hours with immense inconvenience to pax? I'd be comfortable with a driver change over, red blanket over the body (parts) and sort things out after the last train of the day.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I appreciate this is an emotive issue, but surely we need a more robust response to a suicide then stopping all trains for hours with immense inconvenience to pax? I'd be comfortable with a driver change over, red blanket over the body (parts) and sort things out after the last train of the day.

What if it isn't suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.