• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway/Train Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Just wondering what good railway-related books are out there. I recently bought Red for Danger by LTC Rolt and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Any recommendations welcome, whatever aspect of the railways/trains they’re related to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Just wondering what good railway-related books are out there. I recently bought Red for Danger by LTC Rolt and thoroughly enjoyed it.
'Red for Danger' was the first railway book I ever read, (my father had it - I have his copy now) sometime in the late 1960's I would think, must have been quite young as some of the images have stayed with me, especially, for some reason, his description of the Grantham accident.
I'm not a big reader of railway titles, but have purchased a number of books about railways in my local area which I find particularly interesting, especially those that have a good combination of photographs and descriptions...Bill Rear's books spring to mind.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I enioy Adrian Vaughan's books, because they're about the people and places served as much as about the trains i.e. the complete picture of the railway, not so general as to be 'coffee table' and some of them can go into a lot of detail, if that's what you like.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Any recommendations welcome, whatever aspect of the railways/trains they’re related to.

Really depends what aspect of the railways you're into, one of my favourites is Ralph Fiennes - I tried to run a railway, which I love for the various anecdotes.

Then for more technical side of things, the Haynes manual on the InterCity 125 is an interesting read, with plenty of technical details on the various aspects of what makes an HST go.

I also enjoy historical pictorial albums, mainly from the 190s onwards, from an historical aspect I find it interesting to see how both trains and infrastructure have changed over the years, in many cases it's significant in more ways than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.