• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railworks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisjh

I am thinking of puchasing railworks 2 which looks splendid to run on a laptop.

Just thinking of buying a laptop to run Railworks 2, can anybody recommend one that doesnt overheat.

Also should I be looking at dual or quad core?

Finally most laptops seem to be 64 bit is that ok for Ralworks 2

Thank you very much

Best Regards,
Chris EGBB

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member

Just thinking of buying a laptop to run Railworks 2, can anybody recommend one that doesnt overheat.

I am not a "techie" person so cannot help on what to buy, however......

RW2 currently still only supports a single core but improvements are being made to the game engine so this is going to change to multi-core in the future, when, anyones guess. :D

Just from a future proofing point of view, if you could get hold of a reasonably priced quad-core system then that would be the way to go I guess.

64-bit is absolutely fine.

chris89

Established Member
Depends on your budget overal.

I would strongly suggest to go for a quad core processor and also make sure it's got a indepent graphics card and not an integrated, such as the Intel graphics systems.

Im running 64Bit windows on my desktop and railworks runs perfect on it.

Some route suggestions would be, Newcastle - York Modern, Bristol - Exeter, WCML North. Two of which were made by Darandio ( Two first ones)

Chris

turbo mick

Iam running railworks on a dell vista 32bit i cant upgrade the memory from 3gb up.my advice get one with 64bit vista or windows 7 it will run better and plenty of memory WCML use a lot up and you may have to tweak the settings because of the graphics.

all the info go to uktrainsim

cheers

mick

Crossover

Established Member
I am running on a HP laptop with Windows 7 Professional 32 bit - 2GHz Intel Dual Core and 2GB RAM, though it has integrated graphics

It is a business laptop as such so isn't really designed for gaming (but has a rather nice 1680x1050 resolution which is great for a 15.6" screen!) but it works OK.

I did originally have graphics settings at default (not maxed but pretty high) and it did lag and overheat a bit (though that was bettered a lot when I realised how clogged up the air outlet from the fan was and cleared it!)

I have since reduced settings and it plays a lot smoother now (although the station clocks never seem to be in sync with the game time for some reason :s) and I don't find the reduced quality a huge issue personally (I'd rather have that than it being like a screenshot updating).

The only route I have issues with is WCML North which is laggy all the time but I very much suspect my lack of RAM is causing that

Chrisjh

Hi Gents many thanks for your replies which are much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Chris

abstractrobbie

I run RW2 on my Macbook 13" White Unibosy, the late 2009 model which runs the Nvidia 9400G GPU. 2GB Ram.

I run Windows 7 64bit in Bootcamp and it runs RW2 splendidly. The good thing about RW is that dropping some of the options down does not result in much of a difference in how it looks.

I run with most options at high. The only thing this laptop does struggle with is when you enable AA beyond x2 settings. I tend not to bother using any AA at all as my screen resolution is set to 1280x800 so the jaggies don't look bad anyway and two, I grew up playing mario on the SNES and N64 so a few jagged edges dont really bother me in the slightest.

It really does not suffer with any overheatng problems, the fans kick in and expel the heat fine. It has never overheated on me and shut itself down when running 3D applications.

If you look at the Aluminium model of the Macbook,the pro versions then you get the additional help of expelling heat through the case itself which acts as a heat sink.

Plus you have OSX to do everything else which in my opinion, anything to keep you away from Winblows is a plus.

I pretty much do everything in OSX and use Winblows like a gaming emulator.

deltic55011

Thank you very much

Best Regards,
Chris EGBB

Hi,
a bit late just joined.
I bought a Samsung laptop, quad core, 4gb ram, nvidia graphics Geforce310m 512mb, windows 7.
I think the video memory and card are just as important as the cpu.
Running well since last year.
Hope this helps?
:)

TenaciousJ

Hey, I really want to buy this sim. I have a 2010 13in MacBook Pro running BootCamp Windows 7 Ultimate. It has a 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Tons of HDD space and a NVIDIA GeForce 320M Graphics card with 256MB of VRAM. Just wondering if it will work on my computer because Im very wary of simulators like this on here.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hey, I really want to buy this sim. I have a 2010 13in MacBook Pro running BootCamp Windows 7 Ultimate. It has a 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Tons of HDD space and a NVIDIA GeForce 320M Graphics card with 256MB of VRAM. Just wondering if it will work on my computer because Im very wary of simulators like this on here.

I can't help specifically, but my PC is about 5 years old and it works. my only concern is your RAM only 256 MB? I have 2.5 GB in my pc.

deltic55011

I think the video ram is very important.
Yes NVIDIA video, but I would go to 500mb if pos?
My samsung r780 runs RW2 with no overheating.
Don't have exp of Mac though.

deltic55011

TenaciousJ

I finally managed to lend a copy from my friend and it runs perfectly. I have the graphics settings rather high and there is virtually no lag at all even at high speed!

HST Power

Established Member
I can't help specifically, but my PC is about 5 years old and it works. my only concern is your RAM only 256 MB? I have 2.5 GB in my pc.

Five years old and it works! You must have one good computer!

By the way, I have all the correct specification for RW2 with the exception of the ADI Mobility Radeon 4900 (I have 4200). Will I be OK?

Last edited:

abstractrobbie

Hi there

I run Railworks 2 on a 13" Macbook which has the previous Nvidia card in it, the 9400MG. I only have the standard 2gb ram too.

Railworks runs great on the Macbook, I have had hardly any problems with it at all and I think given you have the 320M in yours and additional RAM it should run even better for you.

All I will say is make sure you update the graphics drivers from Nvidias site as the ones included with your OSX disc will be out of date in bootcamp.

The only time Railworks suffers, or any game for that matter that I have run is when you turn on Anti Alising. That complete eats power and the game will slow down, but given the 13" screen and running at 1280x800 turning on AA hardly makes much of a difference, especially if you are like me and grew up playing Mario on the SNES and N64 :P What are a few little jaggies!!

If you play around with the settings you will find your optimum for running RW. Even when the settings are on medium it still looks fantastic and since the last update where they shifted some of the rendering onto the GPU as opposed to the CPU it runs better too.

The WCML route is a little taxing on the Macbook so when running a route like that I find the settings on medium work best, then you don't get any stutters.

Go for it, I think you will be surprised. I have been amazed just how many new games the Macbook is capable of running under bootcamp!!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Five years old and it works! You must have one good computer!

By the way, I have all the correct specification for RW2 with the exception of the ADI Mobility Radeon 4900 (I have 4200). Will I be OK?

I've battled with it, but all has been well for about 2 years now. Just upgraded RAM by 500% and bought a new disk drive and it was good as new.
Tis a Dell

I have no idea on that pareticular one sorry

His Video RAM is 256mb. He has 4GB of system memory.

not entirely with it on the diffrent things just know i got 2.5 GB of RAM :/

HST Power

Established Member
I've battled with it, but all has been well for about 2 years now. Just upgraded RAM by 500% and bought a new disk drive and it was good as new.
Tis a Dell

I have no idea on that pareticular one sorry

not entirely with it on the diffrent things just know i got 2.5 GB of RAM :/

Are you saying you think I'll be OK or don't know?

Status
Not open for further replies.