• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random Ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisj

I don’t get on many trips in GB but since this forum has been helpful in planning them, I thought it only polite to share some ramblings when I do get out and about.

Day 0: Getting in Position
With Monday and Tuesday bank holidays in Northern Ireland, I decided to take the Friday off giving me a good few days to cover some of the interesting workings in GB. With tickets in hand, I set off with a 0420 alarm call. Two buses later, I’m on the early morning sailing Belfast – Cairnryan. The sailing is pretty uneventful but arrives a few minutes late so the taxi move to Stranraer is a no go; bus it is then. The journey drags a bit with lots of slow moving things on the road but we somehow arrive on time anyway and I easily make the 1136 ex Ayr, 380109. 380s aren’t the most exciting things in the world but it gets me to Glasgow on time which is handy as I wanted to race across to Queen Street for a train to Edinburgh via Bathgate as I had only travelled on both stubs before they were connected. Unlike the first couple of times in Glasgow when the city seemed like a very intimidating maze, I enjoy a leisurely dander between the two stations and actually get to the low level platforms in time to see the 1242 departure to Airdrie (arrival into Central was 1235, -1 on T/T). I wait for 334036 on the 1254 and just over an hour later, trundle into Edinburgh for a quick bite to eat before the day’s first train of interest.

43295+309 roll in more or less on time for the 1428 to Aberdeen but unloading / loading takes an absolute age so we depart a few down but are soon racing past a rather busy Edinburgh airport and along the Fife coast. I’d never been farther north than Dundee on this line so this was new to me. Compared to other lines up this direction, the scenery is uninspiring but the HST is running well and we soon get into Aberdeen. A 15 minute wait at Aberdeen doesn’t seem enough to bother leaving the station so I hang around before 170402+158707 arrive in a few late. Jumping on the 170, it’s fairly rammed on departure but quickly thins out and the only thing of note on the long slog across to Inverness was Elgin were I switch to the 158 for unit bashing purposes. Still late at Inverness but I have an hour to grab the fish special at the local Wetherspoons before returning for 67011 on the sleeper. Never having done this line either, I sit around watching the “scenery” roll past and am sorely disappointed and consider nodding off until we reach Aviemore were it improves dramatically. I grab a drink from the bar and start to watch my own live nature programme that gets even better as the sun starts to set creating some very pretty panoramas. Darkness descends and I get a few minutes shut-eye before arriving into Edinburgh, I have a cursory look out but am too knackered to watch all the moves so nod off again until around Rugby.

Day 1: Wales
I check my watch at Rugby and think we are going to be late but 92018 maintains 90mph all the way in to Euston and we are actually a couple early. I forgot my Oyster so get a new one and jump on the underground to Paddington for the 43133+098 on the 0815 ex Pad. I drop back onto 43132+030 at Didcot and again at Swindon for maximum number of HSTs and a couple of new stations (I warned you I’m not a regular so everything is new). All track west of Cardiff is new to me and with the cricket fans leaving, 43034+130 is now a lot quieter (inside at least) and I can sit back and enjoy the ride. Catering ends at some point so passengers are advised to jump off during the Carmarthen reversal to use the shop if required. A tad late into Pembroke Dock and I walk off to grab lunch, unfortunately some awkward fences and short platforms make a photo difficult.

Although interesting to complete the line with good traction, the return journey starts to get boring and I’m delighted to get into Swansea where the speed picks up again until I wave goodbye at Bristol Parkway. I have some time here so do 43159+042 to Newport and 43194+128 back before picking up Cross Country 43378+285 on the 2039 to Leeds. My plan had an option to travel to Sheffield for a unit back to Derby but I skip that part due to tiredness and a creeping hunger so end my day at Derby at about half ten.

A straightforward walk (I had a printed map from Google for once) to the East Midlands Guesthouse and I pay £25 for the night. A late dinner and shower later, I lie in bed and put on the TV for a while before falling asleep.

Part 2 to follow later.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite a variety there over the two days! I rather enjoyed the read too :)

The slog back from Pembroke Dock to Swansea is tough going, so I do sympathise greatly!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Agreed, the slog back from Pembroke Dock to Carmarthen is long enough. I'm not looking forward to when I'm out that way again to visit the many shacks on the line.

Carmarthen to Swansea is a nice enough run if on a semi-fast, I can imagine doing it on a stopper will be tough going

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Can't understand anyone (except 175/HST mileage aficionados) doing the Pembroke line in both directions.

Bus to/from Milford Shaven/Johnston/Haverfordwest saves half the tedium - unless you're shack-scratching of course... :)

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Or track bashing! I actually want to do Pembroke on an HST this summer as it is all winner track.

Sounds like you are having a good time and I'm looking forward to part 2.

Minilad

Established Member
Can't understand anyone (except 175/HST mileage aficionados) doing the Pembroke line in both directions.

Bus to/from Milford Shaven/Johnston/Haverfordwest saves half the tedium - unless you're shack-scratching of course... :)

Please tell me there aren't people who do 175s for mileage. If there are then the bashing world really has hit a new low :lol:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Are 175s really that bad? My 1 and only trip was Chester Crewe yonks ago but I travel through the latter multiple times a year and am often standing pint in hand on the platform thinking how lucky the Welsh are to have them compared to the staple diet of 170s we are forced onto in Scotland.

Minilad

Established Member
Are 175s really that bad? My 1 and only trip was Chester Crewe yonks ago but I travel through the latter multiple times a year and am often standing pint in hand on the platform thinking how lucky the Welsh are to have them compared to the staple diet of 170s we are forced onto in Scotland.

I'm not saying they are bad. I quite like them myself. But bashing them for mileage? Really?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
chisj
Nice report so far, very much enjoyed that. Pembrook on an HST is on my bucket list but as its likely to involve an out and back to and from iether London, Crewe or Cardif I think Il go FC. What is the seated sleaper booz prices like these days? The coach service to Ayr from the port is timed to accommodate whatever nasties the A77 can throw at it and whilst I thought when it first started it would be a disaster with missed connections and invalid AP Tickets a regular thing the road opperation is actually rather well run.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The 175s are probably the 2nd best DMU (168s are the best) so I don't mind longish journeys on them.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Depends on what you're up to, your budget, what day you do the trip and so on.

My last slog on the line was a long time ago, so long ago I can't remember the details. I remember it was a Valley Lines-liveried 150/2, and that I was living in Swansea at the time. I can't be sure if I did the 150 from Swansea all the way to Pembroke (having done Pembroke Dock on an HST at least twice by now), or whether I got off there to score the shack and then get it back to either Carmarthen or Swansea.

I did better (or worse, depending on opinion!) than that in January 2006 though. Hereford to Clunderwen on 175011, waited about 2 hours for it to come back and get it all the way home. That was a seriously long, boring fester I can tell you, I was glad to see it come back from Milford Haven!

chisj

Thanks for the comments so far, second half below.

Day 2: Sunday
Engineering work on the MML spoilt my original plan of an HST to St Pancras and back but with little else around that interested me, I took 43061+060 south anyway, but only as far as Bedford. I pass plenty of engineering works on the journey south and get a few photos. The next part was a bus to Luton (the HST unfortunately returned to Derby empty) then 387122+ 387111 to St Pancras.

I wander across to Euston and take Pendolinos north to Birmingham in a number of stages for purposes of acquiring food and killing time; 390050 to Milton Keynes, 390119 to Rugby (via the Northampton loop which was new for me), 390020 to Birmingham Airport and 220007 to New Street. Not a fan but I needed to go north and timings via Pad just didn’t work out. Running about 20 late, 43303+366 and its rather witty guard take me southwest to Plymouth were it is only a short wait for 43151+091 on to Penzance and dinner.

Day 3: Variety
The trip so far had been interesting but weighted heavily towards HSTs but that was about to change as I jumped on DRS liveried 57303 on the sleeper to London. Despite being in the rearmost carriage, the noise was impressive, not much sleep tonight then <D. Route was via Bristol Parkway and arrival into Pad was more or less bang on time which was allowed for a leisurely walk across to Marylebone for a unit, 168107 to Banbury for some porridge and more importantly 68008 back up on the Blue & Grey set. Another terminus switch in London as I took the tube across to Liverpool St for the 1000 to Norwich which was 90011, spoiling my run of DRS liveried locos. Arrival into Norwich and DRS colours were back again in the form of 37405 + 37425 which would take me to Great Yarmouth and back in very fine style. Saying goodbye to Norwich soon after, I took the 1400 with 90003 leading to London. A reversal of the morning’s tube move to Edgware Rd and stroll to Marylebone was completed fast enough for the 1647 to Moor St with 68010. A good run north and we arrive a couple up which means I make the 1850 Pendolino south, 390104. This service was not too busy and the speed along the WCML was impressive, especially when at full tilt.

A brisk dander across to King’s Cross on arrival into London and I make the 2035 Leeds in the form of 91118 to Stevenage then drop back on to the Newcastle service with 91129 as far as Peterborough. Waiting at Peterborough, a 66 rolls through and makes a pleasing racket after a stop for a driver change. 91102, ex Leeds brings me back to the Capital for a final time on this trip.

Day 4: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
I walk back to Euston and grab some food before boarding 92032 on the sleeper north, the first few miles sees a crazy light show from the pantograph up front and we wizz northbound rather hastily. After food and a couple of drinks, I get to sleep just after one then wake up momentarily crawling through Crewe and running late, I nod off again but the next time I wake up, we are only a few miles north of Crewe at a halt. The crew advise us the loco has failed and are putting all seated passengers into berths to keep warm. Obviously, I don’t bother as I want to see what is going on. We get moving again but I’m none the wiser about what is up front (again, I was in the rearmost coach). As dawn breaks, I use the curves to see an 86 up front and a photo confirms it is 86101. That makes 7 (37, 57, 68, 86, 90, 91, 92) classes of loco in a 24-hour period. Progress north is brisk and we pass 92018 at Warrington on a southbound sleeper that appears to be around an hour late. I bail at Carlisle but the standing time is very brief so I don’t make it up front for a proper photo. Across the bridge, I find 390005 to bring me south to Lancaster for 37423 + 37603 onward to Preston. The set returns north but is held for a late running Pendolino going north then a TPE 350 then to the growing frustration to those on board, a southbound Pendolino. We get away around 12 late and lose a few more minutes along the way so when the guard announces the Barrow connection is not happening, not too many people are surprised (or happy). To rub salt in the wound, the other pair of 37s is viewed leaving Barrow as we arrive – bleugh.

I amend my plan slightly and head south on 156438 to Lancaster and 350410 to Manchester. I bail at Oxford Road for a photo of the freight behind us then take 156491 on to Piccadilly. I’m not sure of the services around Manchester I could use to kill time so keep it simple and do a return to Stockport, 323238 south and 158846 back. Unit bashing is not exciting me much in my increasingly sleep deprived state so I disappear for food and return for a few photos before 67022 arrives for the 1650 Llandudno which I cover in its entirety and back again to Rhyl, which seems to be home to hundreds of annoyingly loud seagulls. Unfortunately the WAG failed somewhere and was caped so I’m forced take 221111 to Holyhead where I grab some food before settling in a bar for a few celebratory pints. I hear the empty WAG arrive in about 0045 but it leaves again for stabling before I get out to view it. By that time, though, it is nearing time to board the 0230 ferry to Dublin. I barely get on before passing out and sleeping until Dublin. A bus to the city centre and onto the 0630 bus to Belfast were again I get to sleep ASAP - and I needed to, as I finished the trip with a shower and a change of clothes and straight to my desk for a less than productive days work.

Blindtraveler: sleeper drink prices are decent considering the captive market and the selection seems to change now and again, spirits more expensive

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least Clunderwen has a pub near by (going by google maps) so not all bad ;) (looking at RTT, suggests its best to do it from Milford Haven direction) *makes a note*

When I did Pembroke line last June, I stayed overnight in a little B&B at Pembroke Dock

chisj

My annual rover around Britain, this time split in two due to time off work; stated aim again is lots of loco hauled trains and a pick away slowly at new routes.

Part I
Part one is a short weekend in London so I start off flying to Manchester (obviously). I take 323 238 from the airport to Wilmslow and 175 102 on to Crewe. Dander around the town but not much going on, eventually, 90047 rolls in on the Highland Sleeper which I take north towards Inverness.

Morning reveals 73968 + 966 are hauling us north of Edinburgh, hang about near a window but the noise does nothing for me, won’t be doing as many sleeper moves in future at this rate. Fry-up breakfast before my home for the day, 158 717 to Wick / Thurso. WOW, this is one long aul trek, going north is not too bad suppose, the scenery is ok but is really just nothingness for mile after mile. The return journey makes me wonder about the mental health of people who have cleared all the stations on this line post-DMUisation. Suppose I should’ve loaded up cans. Eventually get back into Inverness for the night, Potemkin nightlife here as every bar looks promising from the outside and dead inside.

Sunday morning and I get the Highland Chieftain south with 43296 + 312, The more I see it, the more I think the VTEC livery is awful. This takes me south to York, I could’ve headed south last night as far as Edinburgh for which would open a few more options later on the day, but I like the view on this line and these timings covered what I wanted anyway. Bail at York and onwards with 144 012 to Harrogate where more ugliness awaits in the rain with 43314 +272 which I take as far as Doncaster. 91116 take me north to York again where I grab some of the slowest fast food ever served before 43484 +467 complete the day bringing me to Sunderland. Bright and early start Monday morning for 43300 + 302 south, thus completing the ‘Sunderland loop’ for HSTs. I drop back a few times then its off to meet some friends before for a few days.

Part II
Skip forward a few weeks and the second part of my rover begins with flight to Inverness, G-JECG for those interested (does anyone actively ‘do’ aircraft?) very scenic airport is Inverness. Bus into town then off to Kyle of Lochalsh with 158 711. Nicer than the line to Wick / Thurso last month but its still a bit of an endurance test come the return journey. Only a short time in Inverness but no rush as I get food on the sleeper with 66736 leading 73969. 73 still boring, 66 not exactly strained but the journey is one of my favourites (Fort William better IMO but a pain to get to, or out of depending on what way you do the sleeper). Settle down with some haggis and a few whiskeys before going to sleep, thus ending day 1.

Day 2 begins quite close to London - I’m a heavy sleeper. 90044 has taken us south from Edinburgh and we arrive in Euston on time. Tube over to Liverpool Street for 321 357 out to Stratford beginning my day on Greater Anglia. Drop back on to 90004 and again at Colchester for 90001 onwards to Ipswich. Returning to Colchester with 90011 for 90010 to Norwich. Despite glorious sun all morning, it is raining in Norwich so its a brief photo before jumping on 37405 to Great Yarmouth. Non-stop run which is nice, rain persists which is not so nice. 37422 is on the other end for the return to Norwich. I ponder going back and forth a few more times but the line bores me after a while so I decide to try my luck with the remaining GA 90s so take 90003 south to Manningtree and the back and forth begins; 90004 Manningtree to Diss for winner 90014 to Colchester, starting to get bored of this station and its overpriced platform shop. DRS / Scotrail / DB 90, 90034 whisks me to Diss. 90002 going south now from Diss to Ipswich where I miss 90007 on a Down by a whisker. I hang around for the next London, 90010 and ponder either a few moves to cover the remaining diagrams or heading on. The decision is made for me when it is announced there has been a fatality at Romford so we are delayed, then terminated at Colchester. 90034 comes in behind us and eventually leaves rammed, arriving at Liverpool Street 40 late. By this time, I am in grave danger of missing my HST to Derby but a mad dash through Liverpool Street station and I make a tube on the platform to St Pancras. St Pancras tube to the platforms seems to take an absolute age but I arrive with almost 2 minutes to spare, should’ve stopped for a pint. 43081+085 are the powercars for the run north. Good, but more or less dark, progress until just before Kettering. Train grinds to a halt and after a few cryptic messages from the on-board crew, we find out some guy missed his stop at Wellingborough and pulled the emergency stop cord with the intention of walking back or something, time to crack open another beer then. Arrival into Derby 45 late or so.

43055 + 058 start day 3 seemingly only a few minutes after I arrived although I feel suspiciously awake on the journey south. Chilled out wander from STP to PAD and grab some food. Signal failure delaying everything this morning but the timetable is getting back to normal, jump on 43135 + 176 to Reading then drop back onto 43131 + 183 for the main event of the day onwards to Newquay. Quick fish and chips by the seaside then back on the HST to Par. 43156 + 028 bring me to Truro for the Falmouth Branch with 150 123. One of the more interesting branches in the southwest; 43152 + 088 take me on to Penzance for the Up sleeper with 57605; yet to have a 57 twice on these which means 57602 will inevitably be impossible to track down. Routed via Yeovil but its dark and I’m drifting in and out of sleep, perhaps a dashed line in the ol’ map for that line.

GWR Green 43188 + 187 start day 4 with the ungodly hour o’clock Paddington to Cardiff. I jump off a Reading where 220 012 take me on to Leamington Spa for a spell on the Chilterns. 68008 starts me off non-stop to Marylebone and is delightfully prompt giving me ample time to cross for a photo of 68010 before we head north all the way to Moor St. Short break in Birmingham before heading south again to Warwick Parkway where I pick up 68014 back to Moor St. Bit of time to kill before it heads back to London so I take 172 341 to Tyseley and 172 333 back, exhilarating stuff. 68014 all the way to Marylebone where there is a bit of gap so I wander across to Paddington. I’ve never had a 180 so take 180 106 out to Reading, standard boring modern train although ironically much more pleasant than 43037 + 189 on the Up which is jammed full of festival goers from Castle Cary direction. Back to Marylebone for the day’s highlight, 68015 on the Banbury set, although only as far as Haddenham & Thame Parway as I wanted to do 68808 (Note: not sticking to diagram) to new for me, Oxford Parkway and then back to London. Coming back to London, I use the free wi-fi and realise another race across the tube could get me an earlier last train for my last trip of the day. Late into Marylebone but I still make the 2107 out of Victoria with 375 906 leading which I take all the way to Dover Priory. Like most provincial towns, Dover is basically closed when I arrive.

No change the next morning except for a torrential downpour which puts pay to my plan of walking to the station via the cliffs / castle. Anyway, 395 015 trundles around to Ramsgate then Ashford before properly speeding along HS1. Get a screenshot on my speedo app at 140mph for posterity, manually there only appears to be 1KM boards. From there, St Pancras to Paddington not the first time this week and 43154 + 017 out to Reading where I begin my morning of branches. 166 218 takes me back to Twyford where I am now running early to my plan for some reason, 165 133 does the first branch to Henley-on-Thames which looks quite picturesque. I ponder bailing here and skipping a train while I return to my plan but the rain gets heavier as we arrive so back to Twyford for 165 129 to Maidenhead. Hourly on the branch here so stock up on supplies before 165 136 takes me to Marlow and back. Only one tight connection this morning so it is no surprise when 165 137 turns up late. Near coronary at Slough on the footbridge but I make 165 135 to Windsor & Eton Central. Been to the town before and thought it was a tacky tourist trap and nothing seems to have changed so I take the back path across to 458 506 from Riverside to Staines. 450 011 takes me to Reading where 43154 + 017 bring me on to Bristol TM. 221 120 do the short hop to Bristol Parkway and an Wales-bound HST is just arriving so I take 43193 + 194 to Newport where I drop back on to 43132 + 093 to Cardiff. Mill around for a while before 67002 appears for the WAG which I take to Shrewsbury. 175 105 take me on to Crewe where a bit of a scramble gets me a carry out before taking 390 136 south to Euston ending the day.

Day 6 begins more of less immediately as I get on the Lowland Sleeper with 92014 – there goes the Carlisle connection then. Sleep comes fast and I wake up around Preston where we are more or less on time and shockingly enough, not failed. Just miss the 37s at Carlisle anyway but I notice a pile of cancellations on the screen so I abandon Plan B of continuing north for the 66 drag (was 66728) and bail anyway. Mill around until 350 408 appears to bring me south to Lancaster for 156 451 up the coast as far as Ulverston. 37425 last seen 3 hours ago departing Citadel brings me and a coach full of enthusiasts south to Preston and back north to Barrow. Lots of nice sounds from up front and we are more or less on time into Barrow so its a leisurely amble for 37423 up the coast to Carlisle. Timetable at Carlisle is still fiction but I pick up 390 006 running about an hour late – this will do south to Warrington BQ. Quick check of how far I go towards Manchester reveals Newton-le-Willows but 175 008 gets held for a frustratingly long time outside Earlestown and eventually arrives into P3. I bail here and am immediately lost (unbeknownst to me, the station is a triangle); cue manic running around but I make 67012 somehow. All the way to Llandudno then back to Rhyl for the WAG; however, for the second year in a row, the 67 turn lets me down. This time its a unit, 175 112 which I take to Bangor for a spoons time-killer move. Back to the station where the paper timetable has lied to me so mill around for an hour waiting 175 011 on to Holyhead (wrong-road out of Bangor) and a mercifully short wait before the ferry to Dublin and on home.

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Welcome back! I noticed that you got one of my last two VTEC trams (296) and one of my last two GC ones (484). I'm not keen on the VTEC livery but think it's OK.

Stupid person on the HST from St Pancras to Derby! How dumb can you get?

I see you had my local shack there and the best 68 too on a pretty decent mileage move (014). Shame about the shovel not producing on the WAG but it sounds like a great time was had!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
First of all, welcome back from me too.

As for plane bashing, yes a fair few people do so but for most of us, it's only done on a limited basis due to the cost, location or other limiting factors. I love flying, it has to be said. I really need to add to my Flightdiary actually...

All in all a good time, and yet another basher who's had 68008 before me!

chisj

Cardiff Area

I was starting to brainstorm some ideas for my annual rail rover and was thinking about the local lines around Cardiff which I have none off to date. However, it’s a waste doing them on a rover so I booked some cheap flights to beat the January blues with the intention of covering most lines over a weekend. Up early Saturday morning and across to Belfast City airport for the Flybe flight to Cardiff. Very quiet flight so we depart on time and arrive early in to a bitterly cold morning. I mill around the terminal until the shuttle bus arrives to bring me to Rhoose to begin the day. A short (but cold) wait for 143 624 to Bridgend; on board, I buy a Valleys Explorer ticket and get my first taste of the new paper tickets which I doubt will last the day.

Arrive at Bridgend and grab a quick brunch before setting off up to Maesteg on 150 264. A pile of people get on the station before the terminus but it seems they all are going to Cardiff and just want to keep warm as not many people board or alight at Maesteg station. Quick turnaround here, although the padding on the arrival times makes it look tighter than it is – a trend which would continue all weekend. All the way into Cardiff with the 150 which is fairly full by the time we arrive. Not too long in Cardiff for me as 142 085 is next up to bring me to Rhymney. Other threads suggest using buses between the termini to save time but I neglected to follow up that advice so return straight away. Patchy mobile reception and no internet leave me a bit worried about getting from Heath High Level to Heath Low Level but my concern is unfounded as they really are beside each other. 153 303 takes me up the short branch to Coryton and back to Cardiff. Still fairly early in the day but I had arranged to meet a mate for a few drinks that evening so the final move of the day ends with 143 624 out to Barry Island and back. Paper ticket in absolute shreds by now so it is no great surprise when it fails to open the barrier.

The “few drinks” predictably spirals out of control and I wake up Sunday morning wondering why I would even plan an early move to Cardiff Bay. This obviously doesn’t happen but I do get to the station for the 0924 to Ebbw Vale Town with 150 245 which is admirable. Simple out and back with a bit of a doze along the way. Cardiff Central again and this time 142 074 takes me out to Aberdare – arrival is 5 early so I hop into the town for supplies. The pound stores sell booze over here, even early Sunday morning so I begin my cure. Sign back at the station advices no alcohol to be consumed between Aberdare and Pontypridd (but ok after that??) but I am discreet like some kind of boozy ninja. 150 230 which was on the rear of the Pacer takes me back to Pontypridd for the next branch move to Treherbert with 150 264. This seems the most Welsh valley line with a litany of unpronounceable station names and the nicest scenery, especially at the terminus station.

Back to Pontypridd for 150 279 which will be my home for over two hours as it brings me up to Merthyr Tydfil and all the way back to Rhoose. Station at Merthyr Tydfil seems to be in a Tesco car park so it’s an easy move for some supplies. Again, a 7 minute turnaround is boosted by timetable padding as we arrive 6 early. Shuttle bus from Rhoose brings me out to the airport and homeward bound to end a successful weekend. Only Radyr via the city line, Cardiff Bay and Penarth remain, and these could have been ticked off if I hadn’t been out enjoying Cardiff’s numerous drinking establishments.

On what should be Blue Monday, I am sitting here tentatively planning a few more weekend blitzes of local lines around GB cities. I wonder how Liverpool, Glasgow, or Nottingham are for a night out?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Cardiff Area

I was starting to brainstorm some ideas for my annual rail rover and was thinking about the local lines around Cardiff which I have none off to date. However, it’s a waste doing them on a rover so I booked some cheap flights to beat the January blues with the intention of covering most lines over a weekend. Up early Saturday morning and across to Belfast City airport for the Flybe flight to Cardiff. Very quiet flight so we depart on time and arrive early in to a bitterly cold morning. I mill around the terminal until the shuttle bus arrives to bring me to Rhoose to begin the day. A short (but cold) wait for 143 624 to Bridgend; on board, I buy a Valleys Explorer ticket and get my first taste of the new paper tickets which I doubt will last the day.

Arrive at Bridgend and grab a quick brunch before setting off up to Maesteg on 150 264. A pile of people get on the station before the terminus but it seems they all are going to Cardiff and just want to keep warm as not many people board or alight at Maesteg station. Quick turnaround here, although the padding on the arrival times makes it look tighter than it is – a trend which would continue all weekend. All the way into Cardiff with the 150 which is fairly full by the time we arrive. Not too long in Cardiff for me as 142 085 is next up to bring me to Rhymney. Other threads suggest using buses between the termini to save time but I neglected to follow up that advice so return straight away. Patchy mobile reception and no internet leave me a bit worried about getting from Heath High Level to Heath Low Level but my concern is unfounded as they really are beside each other. 153 303 takes me up the short branch to Coryton and back to Cardiff. Still fairly early in the day but I had arranged to meet a mate for a few drinks that evening so the final move of the day ends with 143 624 out to Barry Island and back. Paper ticket in absolute shreds by now so it is no great surprise when it fails to open the barrier.

The “few drinks” predictably spirals out of control and I wake up Sunday morning wondering why I would even plan an early move to Cardiff Bay. This obviously doesn’t happen but I do get to the station for the 0924 to Ebbw Vale Town with 150 245 which is admirable. Simple out and back with a bit of a doze along the way. Cardiff Central again and this time 142 074 takes me out to Aberdare – arrival is 5 early so I hop into the town for supplies. The pound stores sell booze over here, even early Sunday morning so I begin my cure. Sign back at the station advices no alcohol to be consumed between Aberdare and Pontypridd (but ok after that??) but I am discreet like some kind of boozy ninja. 150 230 which was on the rear of the Pacer takes me back to Pontypridd for the next branch move to Treherbert with 150 264. This seems the most Welsh valley line with a litany of unpronounceable station names and the nicest scenery, especially at the terminus station.

Back to Pontypridd for 150 279 which will be my home for over two hours as it brings me up to Merthyr Tydfil and all the way back to Rhoose. Station at Merthyr Tydfil seems to be in a Tesco car park so it’s an easy move for some supplies. Again, a 7 minute turnaround is boosted by timetable padding as we arrive 6 early. Shuttle bus from Rhoose brings me out to the airport and homeward bound to end a successful weekend. Only Radyr via the city line, Cardiff Bay and Penarth remain, and these could have been ticked off if I hadn’t been out enjoying Cardiff’s numerous drinking establishments.

On what should be Blue Monday, I am sitting here tentatively planning a few more weekend blitzes of local lines around GB cities. I wonder how Liverpool, Glasgow, or Nottingham are for a night out?

The station at Merthyr used to be further back but the line was truncated in order to build the Tesco.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very productive time in the Valleys! Bashing all day after a good session on the adult beverages is never easy, I experienced this last year when I got back to my digs around 0250 and had to be up for a train leaving at 0547!

I'm told Liverpool is a good night out, never tried any of your suggested cities for it though. Swansea's a good night out, or at least used to be!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Enjoyed reading that, drinking the night before a day out often can get out of hand, I think it's the thought of having a pleasant day out the next day making you feel relaxed and ordering another (and another etc).
Nottingham's good for a night out, I know that because I've done it a few times and bought the hangover...

sprinterguy

Established Member
Liverpool, Glasgow and Nottingham are all great cities for a night out. I was unexpectedly impressed by the range and quality of drinking establishments in Liverpool the first time I deigned to visit, late last year.
Swansea's a good night out, or at least used to be!
Seriously? :shock: I went there once to check out the University when still at college, and the complete absence of any sort of life, night or otherwise, utterly convinced me that I did not want to go to Uni there. It ensured that I knuckled down (well, relatively speaking) in completing my A-levels, though, with the black dread of four years of potential exile in Swansea hanging over me. :D
Enjoyed reading that, drinking the night before a day out often can get out of hand, I think it's the thought of having a pleasant day out the next day making you feel relaxed and ordering another (and another etc).
That's certainly my favourite trick: I sometimes get a bit over-celebratory in anticipation of a day's major jolly the following day, and wake up the morning of the big event immediately regretting it. I recall having to get up at 05:something-or-other for a railtour having been drinking luridly coloured cocktails (not my usual tipple, either) until 2am, just hours before, having originally gone our for "just a couple of drinks".

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh I know that feeling, just going out for one turns into two which turns into three and so on until you realise it's gone 2am when you started drinking just after 6pm!

Swansea's nightlife in 2003 and 2004 was good, although I suspect the extreme amount of drink consumed that night had a part of that. Could well be rose tinted specs as I recall an evening out with work people in 2005 which was far less fun! My solo night out was more fun, but then 2016's Frothmas do with people from work was good!

EDIT: Worth pointing out 2003/4 and 2005 was years before I properly started appreciating real beer...

Last edited:

chisj

GB Trip Summer 2017

Planning and the like
Another summer, another trek round GB. Same goals as usual, sample lots of loco hauled diagrams and tap in some new track in between. Tickets acquired, plan drawn, then redrawn half a dozen times. A week before, I did a final check on backups for tight connections etc... and noticed the GWR Okehampton service had been retimed due to a major TSR – more redrawing.

There is a known glitch on booking rail-sail tickets to/from N. Ireland via Dublin (you can’t) and splitting the ticket gets expensive so I started off with a bus to Dublin airport for the quick hop to Manchester. With 3 operators between Belfast and Dublin, buses are rather cheap at the moment.

Day 0 – Getting There

1905 O’Leary air start the holiday on time and for next to no price despite booking less than a fortnight ago.

1950 On time departure + padding = early into Manchester

2043 Spoke too soon; earlier delays mean we have “patiently” waited 30 minutes for a gate then there is no ladders, then no bus for the miserably short journey to the terminal. Connection 1 of the journey is already looking perilous.

2047 Pays to know the quickest way through the airport; on board 185 149 to Piccadilly.

2122 On board 142 055 to Chester via Altrincham etc... could’ve got a later train ex Airport and taken the direct route to Liverpool but never done this line.

2305 508 143 taken under the cover of darkness to Liverpool where I am for the night

2345 Checked in to Hatters Hostel; nice wee place not that I’ll be here for too long.

0417 Hateful roommates think they’re in Notting Hill Carnival, takes almost an hour for them to get into the room and get settled.

Day 1 – Inner Wales

0555 Forgot to get a towel from reception so a loud room mate loaned me one, and one for the floor so my feet didn’t get cold – nice people.

0605 I lied, I just used their towels without asking.

0625 Quite a few drunks for Thursday morning, Liverpool may need a revisit sometime, for now, all business as 507 031 takes me to West Kirby.

0700 My first proper venture onto Merseyrail, not exactly much to write home about but a wee weekend to clear the rest will need planned at some point. Same unit going back to the City Centre now.

0750 Quick change at Hamilton Square and now going to Chester in the daytime; dropped back off 507 007 at Bebington and 508 126 at Capenhurst for 508 143 to Chester.

0900 175 005 on the trip along to Llandudno Jcn; flying limited what I could pack so I order a fry from the cafe next to the station then a quick supply run in the adjacent supermarket.

1020 That fry was lovely and the sun is blasting down now going towards Blaenau Ffestiniog. Currently the youngest person by several decades on board a rather packed 150 230.

1100 Half the train gets off a Bets y Coed, very scenic place, the whole line is quite pretty although all too often covered by hedgerow.

1135 Not much time to grab a photo and a ticket but I do and jump on board Earl of Merioneth for the trip to Porthmadog. Didn’t realise its all down hill this direction, shame. Private carriage thing to myself near the back so I soak up some sun rolling through the Welsh countryside. Cross a train somewhere, the uphill steamer doesn’t seem taxed at all despite the decent load.

1247 You plan everything then miss the obvious, the main line station is a mile or so away from the heritage railway; I wasn’t even rushing despite the tight connection.

1300 158 824 rolls in a bit late (thankfully) and off to Pwhelli.

1325 Ah yeah, Pwhelli, not much to say.

1540 Getting a bit long on this 158 but some nice scenery around here, highlight was Barmouth of course. An hour at Machynlleth now.

1700 Looks like two hours at Machynlleth as 158 829 on the Aberystwyth has failed.

1730 Real time trains tells me the WAG is late so I keep to the original plan and skip Aberystwyth for today; probably cover it with a tour or something. Now on 158 822 to Shrewsbury.

1735 Maybe I should've went to Aberystwyth since I was this close.

1930 RTT and smartphones have completely destroyed the topic Your Tightest Connection, I make a -6 without a sweat. 67029 on the WAG, I’ll cover it later in the week but I’ve been unlucky with the train in the past so happy to be on board.

2035 Not exactly a good run but I make it into Chester for 67022 on the Pauper back to Crewe.

2105 An eternity to kill at Crewe so I dander into the town proper and the Spoons.

2350 92033 rolls in on the sleeper.

0340 Almost fall out of my seat with the jerkiness leaving Carlisle, otherwise I’ve slept rather well. Doze a bit to Edinburgh then check what’s on the other portions.

Day 2 report and onwards to follow.

chisj

Thanks for all the comments about the Cardiff Valleys trip, hope you are enjoying my latest ramblings.

Day 2 – Central Scotland

0530 73968 taking me onwards, we leave late for reasons but skip the Kirkcaldy stop and are reasonably punctual into Dundee.

0630 Palindrome Voyager on the 0632 Dundee – Kirkcaldy; positioning move nothing to see here.

0727 68004 rolls in; I actually did the same move a month or so back coming of a European trip via the Eurostar and the sleeper. That time with 68007 which seemed considerably quieter, most certainly due to the livery.

0900 Full circle and into Edinburgh, usual breakfast haunt here (up the steps, cross the road, up some alleyway) then 380 015 to North Berwick. I was based in Fife for a time in 2006 so this route is oft travelled behind 90s as was the fashion that summer. Bit of nostalgia hearing all those silly station names again (and terror realising it was so long ago).

1020 Never ventured off the station back then and stick to that again now, 380 022 on the return to Waverley.

1115 170 394 and 170 428 on time killer moves to Haymarket.

1134 170 478 takes me out to Falkirk Grahamstown, the reason for this is a line I neglected to cover a while back when I spent a weekend in Glasgow covering the various branch lines.

1136 I also neglected to write a trip report; essentially I took one unit out a suburban branch line then back, repeat for a day and a half with a short break Saturday evening for a few sociables.

1225 158 870 now on the new line for me to Springburn, and is customary round these parts, its pishing down.

1310 334 032 takes me onwards into Queen Street the longer way, still time for a quick food stop before 170 455 back east.

1455 158 734 taking me on to the second new line of the day, the recently(ish) opened Borders line to Tweedbank.

1555 And now we retrace our steps; kindle out for this bit.

1700 68004 again, not what I’d expected from the diagrams but hey-ho, a trip round the circle is more appealing than a half trip a few minutes behind just for a different 68.

1850 Some kind of funfair is attracting a ridiculous number of drunk teenagers. Is Buckfast and carnival rides really a good combination?

1935 Hop off at Haymarket for 170 433 to Glasgow QS and some food from the chippy beside Central.

2105 221 127 back to Edinburgh now via the Sub line; something I’ve been meaning to do for ages. The Voyager is almost empty and almost pleasant at high speed but the rattling at low speed (i.e. all the way round the Sub) is infuriating.

2225 PNB at Edinburgh before taking 92010 on the (seated) sleeper to Carstairs for 90047 (viewed at Glasgow C earlier) onwards.

2345 Some obviously drunk guy jumps onboard just as we are leaving then loudly declares to the guard that “he doesn’t have a f***ing ticket”. Hilarity ensues as a few credit cards are declined, he then despairs that he is lost and is booted off at Carlisle.

0200 The bloke returns gleefully at Carlisle with a wad of cash and asks “can I get on your train now?” I am now struggling not to burst into fits of laughter.

Next up is a weekend in the southwest.

Keith Jarrett

Sounds like day 1 was not too bad despite missing out on Aberystwyth. If you had wanted to interchange between the Festiniog and the proper railway, Minffordd would have been better than the 10-15 minute hike across Porthmadog.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very funky way of doing a trip report, I did a similar thing years ago but I don't think I ever shared it. If I ever find it I must do so!

A very, very rough night in Liverpool, and that sleeper journey sounds beyond grim. Jealous as I need that 92!

chisj

Day 3 – GWR HSTs

0615 Arrival into Euston very early, carriage covered in glow-sticks; presumably power failure rather than a midnight rave. Tempted to wake the guy from last night to see his reaction that he has drunkenly got a train to London but decide against it.

0635 Quick tube move to Paddington, the earliness means I can squeeze in a return to Reading before my plan kicks in. 431810+171 on the down for 43144+194 back up.

0815 43020+193 now back to Reading; very punctual running this morning on GWR; wonder how long this will last (Spoiler: two wags of dog’s tail). Drop back at Reading on to 43139+162 which will take me to Hereford.

1200 Delayed a while waiting to cross a unit but no impact as the times at Herford have changed due to engineering work further north, now on 175 115 headed south.

1240 RTT to the rescue again; XC delays are jeopardising my afternoon moves so I bail at Newport for a -5 (easily made cross platform). It spoils my three capitals in 13 hours plan however.

1245 43159+146 take me through to tunnel to Bristol Parkway. The full extent of the delays is obvious now looking at the departure boards. I hop on 150 101 on the short trip round to the gateway to the South West and birthplace of Brunell etc...

1440 Bite to eat, bask in the sun then watch as 43207+384 trundle in an hour late. They will take me to Taunton; following my plan time wise now but now service wise Still, HST beats Voyager so this works out very well.

1540 43198+190 now back east as far as Castle Cary, no prizes for guessing my afternoon move at this point.

1600 We’re off to see the Wizard now on board 158 955.

1718 Generic delays mean the connection at Weymouth is getting smaller. Still, the road is set through Dorchester Jcn so we should be grand.

1723 Further delay at Upwey, we are no longer grand.

1724 Now on 450 076 back to Dorchester from Upwey.

1728 Oh yeah, Dorchester has two stations – Scheize!

1732 Google maps, please hurry.

1738 Made it with 2 mins to spare, don’t know what the panic was about.

1740 43021+156 on the Weymouth Wizard (Dorchester Druid??) now, well worth the effort.

1950 GWR at it again, my move “home” is caped so I jump off at Bath Spa to consider alternative options. Take 150 104 to Westbury in the vague hope something from there is heading towards Salisbury.

2030 No such luck, long wait at Westbury; suppose I can check out the town.

2200 Well, I got a good feed but this place is depressing me now. Eventually 158 960 roll in and take me on to Salisbury for the night.

2300 My “hotel” is a rather nice room right above a bar... the bar is having a karaoke night... I can hear every word.

2320 No chance of sleep so I sample of few local ciders while the locals (all 7 of them) take turns slaughtering a variety of songs. For the second night in a row, I'm needlessly being kept awake, thankfully the amusement of it all overrides any annoyance.

chisj

Day 4 – GWR Branch Lines

0700 159 020 on the first train west from Salisbury to Exeter St Davids. Practically empty train and great Wi-Fi so I throw on Spotify for the journey – Ulver’s latest for anyone interested.

0900 150 108 now out to Okehampton, it seems this line is going to be daily from the next, or following timetable change as volunteers conduct a survey on board around the location of the terminus station (near a park & ride for commuters, current location for tourists, or two stations). The train today is fairly packed both directions which bodes well.

0910 And the emergency timetable to take account of the severe TSR is over so I am winging the plan for today somewhat.

1000 Cross the bridge and see 205 032 / 1132 waiting for the trip to Meldon. Close my eyes and I am back in Belfast on an 80 class – absolute heaven.

1200 Couple of return trips and its time to go; tour on the Hasting DEMU urgently required.

1315 Few minutes at Exeter Central is enough time for a big feed from a bakery beside the station then 143 618 to Exmouth.

1410 Nice wee line to Exmouth, not a fan on these 143s though, 143 617 returning to Exeter now with an extended photo stop at Topsham while we wait to cross.

1425 43031+086 take me west to Totnes, I work out I can switch back here to Newton Abbot then pick up my plan again with some time for food.

1525 43169+183 on the aforementioned trip to Newton Abbott and a big dinner as I have the time.

1615 43148+056 now on to Plymouth where I will complete a few more branch lines required in this part of the world. First up is 153 369 to Gunnislake.

1835 Gunnislake branch is very scenic, particularly the three stunning bridges.

1945 Further west with 153 305 as far as Liskeard, annoying I am not crossing Brunel’s bridge on an HST this trip but the times didn’t work out.

2015 150 219 on the trip to Looe; feels more like a preserved railway.

2100 A delayed XC service is unbelievably making up time so I won’t make a minus connection at Liskeard. The following GWR service is losing time.

2120 That GWR service was to take me to Bodmin for the sleeper but it keeps losing time so I play it safe and head up the town for a sandwich and a few cans as I wait it out in Liskeard.

2145 Return to the station and a group of tourists stand at the entrance; they warn me not to go on the platform as some guy is causing trouble.

2150 Sitting on platform eating sandwich and supping cans; the aggressive bloke acted hard and shouted a lot but not much else.

2300 Sleeper is late, could’ve went to Bodmin after all.

2310 My final GWR 57, 57602 rolls in sounding quite sickly. I time it on my phone for a while; not great acceleration and seems limited to 60mph. Fortunately, the slack in the timetable means we don’t suffer too much by journey’s end.

Status
Not open for further replies.