• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random/strange things encountered whilst on travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Last night I started wondering what the most random thing was that I've encountered on my travels. One of the strangest for me must be when I was at Port Talbot Parkway last year, when a kid wanted a photo of my Family Guy t-shirt. There's bound to be more random stuff than that, it's the only one that comes to mind right now though.

So I'm interested to know what the most random/strangest thing other forum members have encountered on their travels. Anyone have any thoughts on this? It does not have to be something involving trains, but ideally something experienced whilst on the train, waiting for a train or similar.

I look forward to reading further posts on this.

Kind regards,

Julian

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
Hi all,

Last night I started wondering what the most random thing was that I've encountered on my travels. One of the strangest for me must be when I was at Port Talbot Parkway last year, when a kid wanted a photo of my Family Guy t-shirt.

Same with the T-Shirt theme, i seen someone walking round with an "ON TOUR" T-Shirt on, was most strange, wasn't raining.

Mintona

Established Member
Same with the T-Shirt theme, i seen someone walking round with an "ON TOUR" T-Shirt on, was most strange, wasn't raining.

:lol:

Everytime I go to Nuneaton there is a man skipping on either platform 6 or platform 2.

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
Manchester Piccadilly, end of Platform 11 I saw some random kid with a baby doll, you know the kind that little girls play with. And whenever a Pacer approached him he would dance a kind of celebration dance....couldn't help but shout "STOAT!" at him while he was filming a train coming in :p

dscn1093td4.jpg

P156KWJ

Established Member
can remember at manchester a complete random man who turned in to a bit of a prat in the way, and just looked lost, standing next to the door of his train
SDC10113.jpg

at the GCRN, I've seen many passengers, so I've seen some strange people! Can remember when I was on the RFB, a man kept coming back to me every 2 minutes and buying something else, whilst I'm thinking 'decide what you want, then buy it all together!'
And also, can remember also when a kid was ever so frightened by the fire from peckett 2000, and I thought 'wait until you look inside silverlink if that was in steam!'

D306

Established Member
nah, he looks as though he's having a fag
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
speaking of strange things encountered, when I was at nuneaton ages ago, there was this bloke who was randomly shouting across the platform, waving his arms about, then got arrested. This isn't the same bloke is it Mintona?

y6cc76.jpg

P156KWJ

Established Member
nah, he looks as though he's having a fag
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
speaking of strange things encountered, when I was at nuneaton ages ago, there was this bloke who was randomly shouting across the platform, waving his arms about, then got arrested. This isn't the same bloke is it Mintona?

y6cc76.jpg

he wasn't, he just stood for ages like that, if you smoked at piccadilly, NR staff would have held you at gunpoint under the terrorism act :lol:

Mintona

Established Member

Nope, that's not him, I have seen this skipping man about the last 5 times I have been to Nuneaton.
They must attract them up there though, also seen a gypsy woman swinging her balls about. http://uk.railways.fotopic.net/p27980552.html

Ilove165's

What about the stoat with the Transit following us to every level crossing on the outbound to Skeggy? Weird....

Guinness

Established Member
I just got off a train at New Street when an old dear asked me where the toilets were. This was just wearing T-Shirts and Jeans and thought "How the **** should I know", so I just pointed her in the direction of an Orange Hi-Vis, probably a VT Driver. :)

Bizarre days.

Established Member
Bloke on a train in Switzerland last weekend. Delves into his bag and produces two carrots a plate, a cheese grater and proceeds to grate the carrots onto the plate. As he had what looked like a pot of mayonnaise on the side table, I thought that he might be making some sort of coleslaw - but he proceede to eat the grated carrots as they were......er why not eat them raw :???:

P156KWJ

Established Member
my dad was telling me when he was travelling around Scotland in the 1980s - on the Kyle of Lochalsh line once some Germans decided they wanted breakfast on te train and produced a few camping stoves on the table and some pans, and beans...

Pumbaa

Established Member
On a 458 from Staines to Clapham Junc, a woman opposite me in a 3 x 3 bay is massive, she takes up two seats and her suitcase the other (this is packed rush hour as well). As we leave Twickenham, she opens her suitcase, and inside is a 6 pack of Bagels and nothing else. By Clapham she'd eaten the lot and replaced the suitcase (now empty) on the seat.

:|

laseandre

Established Member
LOL!

I had a couple of OAPs opposite me on my way back from Glasgow one night, and the man said to his wife (loud enough for about 1/3 of the carriage to hear) "Do you want your hole?"* And she said yes! Then they started kissing in the middle of the train.

*Do you want to have sex?

Jord

LOL!

I had a couple of OAPs opposite me on my way back from Glasgow one night, and the man said to his wife (loud enough for about 1/3 of the carriage to hear) "Do you want your hole?"* And she said yes! Then they started kissing in the middle of the train.

*Do you want to have sex?

:lol:!

Mr Alex

Waiting at Exeter St Thomas for a railtour.
Man known as the 'Village Idiot' comes up and asks us about certain timings and workings.
He says: "What time is Duke Of Gloucester due through here next saturday?"
Mate responds: "Oh about 10:20 I think"
He says: "Oh oh, what times that then?"
We were like wtf?
A taster...!
;)

laseandre

Established Member
I know, they must have been about 60-65 (technically not OAPs, but near enough).

Status
Not open for further replies.