• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random/strange things encountered whilst on travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmt

Strangest thing I've seen on my travels in recent times was Loader shouting 'My Lords' at every cow and level crossing between Skegness and Nottingham whilst behind a pair of Choppers last year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 313

Established Member
Strangest thing I've seen on my travels in recent times was Loader shouting 'My Lords' at every cow and level crossing between Skegness and Nottingham whilst behind a pair of Choppers last year.

8) Not sure about the cows though :|

Also remember me waving to a 158 driver caused absolute havoc in the coach because they thought I rated it! :|

P156KWJ

Established Member
loader = amateur flailer :lol:;)

can remember some guy at the booking hall enquiring
"what's the last train back from St pancras to Nottingham on Saturdays?"
"2135" replies the ticket seller
"oh, what's the one after that?" :lol:

rmt

loader = amateur flailer :lol:;)

can remember some guy at the booking hall enquiring
"what's the last train back from St pancras to Nottingham on Saturdays?"
"2135" replies the ticket seller
"oh, what's the one after that?" :lol:

The question for Mr Loader is has he ever flailed behind a pair of peds on the mainline?

Zamracene749

About 17 years ago, waiting for delayed westbound train at Bingley.
Announcements keep on telling us service is later and later, find out why when instead of the expected train a bull runs out of the tunnel from Leeds, belts past the platform at full tilt and heads off towards Skipton followed a few metres behind (at running bull speed) by a metrotrain pacer!
Train stopped and boarded passengers, quickly caught up with said escaped bull and followed it for the next four or five miles until it met a road block of coppers and farmers who finally diverted it into a field. Did laugh at the time but the poor animal must have been horrified and lord knows how far it had run!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not terribly strange, but slightly random was seeing a poster in AM News, Hereford city centre, today that read "Buy your Arriva bus ticket here".

Arriva buses, in Hereford?! AAA?!

me123

Established Member
I heard, at Edinburgh tourist info once; "When do you fire the one-o'clock gun?".

Then, at Coatdyke once, I had to tell someone that all the trains go to Glasgow anyway. Whilst they were waiting for a Glasgow train, all of them read either "Helensburgh" or "Balloch". Sad thing was they were local...

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Not terribly strange, but slightly random was seeing a poster in AM News, Hereford city centre, today that read "Buy your Arriva bus ticket here". Arriva buses, in Hereford?! AAA?!
That reminds me of a pretty good recruitment advert for new bus drivers that the Hamburger Hochbahn was putting up a few years ago:

The poster itself simply asked the question (In German of course) "How would you like to drive a big Mercedes?" Underneath this was a photo of one of the Hochbahn's Citaros. :D 8)

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

P156KWJ

Established Member
I can remember an annoucer at Derby who once said "this service is running approx. 13 minutes late. This is due to a delay" :lol:
speaking of announcements - a cheerful and funny guy on an EMT HST going towards Sheffield who said when leaving Derby "our next station stop in 19 minutes and 32.8 seconds time will be Chesterfield". And the Virgin trains guy who always started his PAs with "hello, it's me on the good old public annoynace system" :lol:

Zamracene749

There is/was a guard up here who would happily recite all his announcements in about six different languages interspersed with daft jokes. Never heard him lately but caught him a couple of times on the Newcastle-Sunderland service pre metro.

Had almost all the train laughing out loud, was great to see :)

:lol:

At least there are some guards with a sense of humour!

Coxster

Established Member

Ilove165's

Yesterday,while coming back from a flying visit of Edinburgh,I had to get a voyager from Waverley to York.

About 10 mins. after we left Edinburgh, the train manager came on saying "Good morning all you beautiful people,this is your train manager Big Dave speaking..."

I just couldn't help but laugh....:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sam

Techniquest

Veteran Member
lol, I've not had a TM with such a sense of humour in quite a long time.

The only random thing I encountered at all yesterday was on 221112, on which the screen that usually scrolls with the calling points etc just had 'glasgow' scroll across it all the time. Looked a tad bizarre.

DSCN2854.jpg

P156KWJ

Established Member
and it should be spelt with a 'G' not a 'g'. come on XC, do you need primary school grammar lessons? :lol: when it's a place name, you put a big letter on the front :lol:

class 313

Established Member
and it should be spelt with a 'G' not a 'g'. come on XC, do you need primary school grammar lessons? :lol: when it's a place name, you put a big letter on the front :lol:

You also start your sentences with a 'big letter'. Also, after a Full Stop.

How fail to point out a failure then fail yourself. So, do you need Primary School lessons?

8)

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Correct, of course, that it should be a capital 'G' at the beginning of it.

What you failed to notice, though, this was on 221112. Have a guess what I'm hinting at...8)

Status
Not open for further replies.