• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RE/RB "reservations" on a DB online ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

button_boxer

Established Member
I'm going to Germany this week on a London-Spezial ticket, a rather long and complicated journey involving a Eurostar, ICE, IC, RE and RB (in that order). I'm fully aware that my reservations on the Eurostar/ICE/IC trains are compulsory, but do I have to take the specific RE and RB trains listed on the print-at-home ticket or are they just suggestions (I don't have any reserved seats for those legs, indeed I don't believe the services in question are reservable)?

The reason I ask is that there's quite a tight connection from the RE onto the IC for the return journey, but there's an RB service 20 minutes earlier than the RE that I could catch instead if the ticket is valid for that. I couldn't determine the answer from the DB website so wondered if anyone on here knows for sure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From the DB website:

Zugbindung: Ja.

In other words, specific trains? Yes. It also states (in German) valid only on the specific trains and dates. I wouldn't worry if the connection is missed though. You will be covered by the CIV regulations which will allow you to travel by the next train if a connection is missed.

WestCoast

Established Member
You are correct in saying that the RB and RE services do not offer seat reservations. You ticket is valid on the booked trains only (stated clearly on your ticket with corresponding time and number) and that does include all your "connections" on local trains. If the reservation system specifies a time, that is the time you must travel. The system won't specify a time on extremely frequent S-Bahn services, but it will on RB/RE services.

The DB website takes into account the minimum connection time at each station. As Max says, if one train is delayed, you will be permitted to travel on later trains throughout your journey, at no extra cost.

For future reference, the DB website allows you to alter the connection time that you are willing to undertake. So, for example, you could specify a minimum of 15 minutes to connect.

button_boxer

Established Member
Fair enough, I suspected that would be the case, and was only asking on the offchance. I don't expect any problems but I should probably have booked a longer connection in the first place.

valedave

Err, I don't think either of the two responses above are correct.

What is the journey code on your ticket?

For example, if I buy a Sparpreis ticket from Berlin-Ostbahnhof to Leipzig-Gohlis, with an ICE reservations bookended by two S-Bahn journeys, my ticket will look something like this:

Berlin Ostbahnhof (to)
Leipzig Gohlis
H: NV*/B-Hbf ICE<no. of ICE> L-Hbf/*NV

The "NV" stands for Nahverkehr, or "local trains", and underneath the ticket code there is a short notice about the validity of NV (can't remember it just now), but it's basically valid for one journey on a local train until 10am the next day. You can therefore take ANY train, but of course only as far as the ticket is valid (Berlin Ostbahnhof - Berlin Hbf and Leipzig Hbf - Leipzig Gohlis respectively in the above case).

Yeah, so if you post the ticket code then I'll be able to tell you whether it's valid. For the two posters above, "Zugbindung" doesn't apply to NV and the recommended NV connections stated on the e-ticket are a guide only. The recommended connections you receive when booking a ticket from a Reisezentrum or from a ticket machine are not part of the ticket itself, rather are merely a guide for the passenger.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually, perhaps a better example for you:

I booked a ticket from Leipzig Gohlis to Kurort Rathen (nr. Dresden) earlier this year involving an S-Bahn between Leipzig Gohlis and Leipzig Hbf, ICE between Leipzig and Dresden and another S-Bahn between Dresden and Kurort Rathen.

The S-Bahn journey from Leipzig Gohlis to Hbf suggested on my ticket was due in 15 minutes before the ICE was due to leave, but we got an earlier S-Bahn because we wanted to get some breakfast at Hbf before getting on the ICE: not a problem.

The S-Bahn from Dresden Hbf to Kurort Rathen indicated on my ticket was due to leave DD Hbf 10 minutes after the ICE arrived but we wanted to get a coffee and wander about the shopping street there before heading to Kurort Rathen and ended up getting an S-Bahn an hour later: also not a problem.

The ticket code was:

Leipzig-Gohlis nach
Kurort Rathen
NV/L-Hbf ICExxxx DD-Hbf/NV

(or something similar).

Again, write the ticket code in here and I'll be able to put your mind at rest.

button_boxer

Established Member
VON: London S Pancras Int NACH: Rudolstadt(Thur) (and vice versa)

H: <1080>({date})AC-SüdG ICE15/F-Flugh 14:11 IC2251/Weimar*NV
R: <1080>({date})NV*Weimar 11:00 IC2250/F-Flugh 14:32 ICE14
VIA: <0019> Eurostar(nur mit Reservierung)*Brussel*Brussel/Bruxelles<1088>Aachen Süd(Gr)

So yes, it does look like one of the "NV" cases you describe (the details of the specific RE and RB trains are in the "Ihre Reiseverbindung und Reservierung Hinfahrt/Rückfahrt" sections, not in the box at the top with the codes).

valedave

Yep, from Weimar you can take any train you like to Rudolstadt up until 10am the next day. I would recommend lunch/dinner in Weimar, the city centre is lovely and there's a great steakhouse just round the corner from the station :D

Not sure from what time you can take NV on the return journey, but I would say, at the very least, at any time that day.

As I said, the person who checks your ticket won't even look at the "Ihre Reiseverbindung und Reservierung Hinfahrt/Rückfahrt" box. The RE/IRE/S/whatever connections listed there are just a guideline for the passenger.

button_boxer

Established Member
Thanks for your help. We'll be carrying a tent and rucksacks (going here) so probably won't be doing any sightseeing along the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.