• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Buses and Thames Valley

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Shops regularly get prosecuted for selling booze and fags to the underaged, and can lose their alcohol licence; I believe the fines can be quite high too, supposedly as a deterrent, and, if you're unlucky, you can be prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit by a tiny amount, as I know to my cost from about 25 years ago, my first speeding ticket.

I'm sorry but are we really talking about fining bus drivers for making a mistake when issuing a ticket?

As an example of the challenges that drivers experience, I purchased a Cotswold Discoverer day ticket about 2.5 years ago. It is almost a secret but it is valid on a number of services, one of which is the 233 Witney to Burford service operated by Stagecoach Oxfordshire - the ONLY service of theirs that the ticket is valid on. The driver on there (who I had a good chat with in Burford) confessed he'd never seen one, let alone issued one. He might have been told about it when he started 5 years earlier but TBF, there are a hell of a lot more tickets that he's going to encounter and have to remember.

Now I know that I'm an atypical passenger; I know the vagaries of ticketing and was fairly certain that I might have a problem and so printed out the appropriate web page. Fully accept that it shouldn't be necessary and that drivers should know the fares. However, and I know people will say it's a product of deregulation and with some justification. Some places have a myriad of different tickets and conditions, caused by legacy issues, council stipulations etc.

I might add that it's not just the big operators who have this issue though. I've twice had small operators refuse the multi-operator AvonRider tickets as "we don't accept First tickets" without realising it's not a First day ticket but a First issued AR. Just a case of explaining the situation rather than anything more heavy handed.

embers25

Established Member
I'm sorry but are we really talking about fining bus drivers for making a mistake when issuing a ticket?

As an example of the challenges that drivers experience, I purchased a Cotswold Discoverer day ticket about 2.5 years ago. It is almost a secret but it is valid on a number of services, one of which is the 233 Witney to Burford service operated by Stagecoach Oxfordshire - the ONLY service of theirs that the ticket is valid on. The driver on there (who I had a good chat with in Burford) confessed he'd never seen one, let alone issued one. He might have been told about it when he started 5 years earlier but TBF, there are a hell of a lot more tickets that he's going to encounter and have to remember.

Now I know that I'm an atypical passenger; I know the vagaries of ticketing and was fairly certain that I might have a problem and so printed out the appropriate web page. Fully accept that it shouldn't be necessary and that drivers should know the fares. However, and I know people will say it's a product of deregulation and with some justification. Some places have a myriad of different tickets and conditions, caused by legacy issues, council stipulations etc.

I might add that it's not just the big operators who have this issue though. I've twice had small operators refuse the multi-operator AvonRider tickets as "we don't accept First tickets" without realising it's not a First day ticket but a First issued AR. Just a case of explaining the situation rather than anything more heavy handed.

I had a Discover last week, purchased from Exeter St Davids and so was a rail ticket and it didn't say the word "Discover" on it and so every driver, excep the Swanbrook Coaches 853 from Oxford to Northbrook queried it. However all too it in the end and it was a great day out and great value, even if you only use the train bits. Not sure how Swanbrook get away with running a step entrance coach on the 853 though. The driver also had a speed camera detector the canstantly was beeping and we very annoying.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I had a Discover last week, purchased from Exeter St Davids and so was a rail ticket and it didn't say the word "Discover" on it and so every driver, excep the Swanbrook Coaches 853 from Oxford to Northbrook queried it. However all too it in the end and it was a great day out and great value, even if you only use the train bits. Not sure how Swanbrook get away with running a step entrance coach on the 853 though. The driver also had a speed camera detector the canstantly was beeping and we very annoying.

It is a great ticket but it is one that you almost have to be "in the know" about. It was a chance mention on this board that alerted me. I could possibly expect Swanbrook and Pulhams drivers to know as they have fewer tickets to recall but for other drivers, these are pretty rare to see! Generally, if you explain to the driver (and in my case, I took a copy of the web page), they will usually accept without any bother. I suspect the Connect ticket is perhaps also pretty low on uptake.

(As an off topic aside, I agree on the Cotswold Discover - it's very good but publicity is minimal. It doesn't appear on Stagecoach's website as far as I can see. The webpage was updated in 2018/9 as it was out of date, showing some routes as Cotswold Green when the tenders had moved to Stagecoach, and some Stagecoach routes such as Dursley to Gloucester and the 94 to Cheltenham have been removed.

As for Swanbrook, they have a regular vehicle with a 14 plate DDA compliant Irizar i4 with a centre door wheelchair lift. Don't know what does it if that's off the road but might fall under the 20 day dispensation?)

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I think ticketing issues are inevitable anywhere - while I've never had a problem with using the Wiltshire Day Rover (which is another good value ticket in this neck of the woods), even outside Wiltshire on routes to Southampton or Bath, it gets remarked on. I always buy mine in Oxford on the route to Swindon and most drivers tell me that they've not issued one for years, if ever!

It doesn't help that some ticket machines print the company name, which leads to real bother with multi-operator tickets, or even some single-operator ones. Take the North West Explorer - it's sold on Arriva's 685 (because it is also a Stagecoach route), but outside of northern Cumbria where it will be often seen, Stagecoach drivers are very hesitant accepting an Arriva ticket, and I've sometimes had to patiently argue my case for some time. I certainly wouldn't want to use one in Liverpool where competition between the two operators is much more fierce!

embers25

Established Member
It is a great ticket but it is one that you almost have to be "in the know" about. It was a chance mention on this board that alerted me. I could possibly expect Swanbrook and Pulhams drivers to know as they have fewer tickets to recall but for other drivers, these are pretty rare to see! Generally, if you explain to the driver (and in my case, I took a copy of the web page), they will usually accept without any bother. I suspect the Connect ticket is perhaps also pretty low on uptake.

(As an off topic aside, I agree on the Cotswold Discover - it's very good but publicity is minimal. It doesn't appear on Stagecoach's website as far as I can see. The webpage was updated in 2018/9 as it was out of date, showing some routes as Cotswold Green when the tenders had moved to Stagecoach, and some Stagecoach routes such as Dursley to Gloucester and the 94 to Cheltenham have been removed.

As for Swanbrook, they have a regular vehicle with a 14 plate DDA compliant Irizar i4 with a centre door wheelchair lift. Don't know what does it if that's off the road but might fall under the 20 day dispensation?)

801, 855 and X9 Pulhams drivers all queried it and all becasue it didn't have the word "Discover" on it, which I actually agree with them on. I don't see why it is issued by stations as just Cotswold, as correctly printing the mae would have eliminated all the issues. Pulhams actually ahve their own 'Discover' page which was helpful as the main one is out of date and doesn't reflect the latest timetable changes. Stagecoach in Stroud had no issue at all.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thames Valley have brought out an app - it's exactly the same as the Reading Buses app but only gives details for the Thames Valley and Courtney routes. It does sell the simplyNetwork ticket though, and actually describes it as "for travel on any Reading Buses service and Courtney Buses services within Slough, Windsor, Wokingham, and Bracknell". That would imply there's been further fare integration, but the ticket is well hidden at the bottom and it isn't immediately obvious if it's valid to destinations like Camberley or Maidenhead.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Absolutely not - I'm talking about holding the driver's employer to account when somebody has bought a ticket with supposed availability which is then denied. I'm suggesting that a company whose drivers were habitually presenting inaccurate information to the detriment of passengers be 'fired a warning shot' and, if ignored or not acted upon, punitive sanctions would be adopted against the company i.e. hit them in the pocket. All but the most recalcitrant would soon see the errors of their ways. It is ludicrous in this 'information age' that a driver can't check a prepaid ticket with certainty within seconds and, if the excuse for not being able to do this is 'system down' or whatever, the presumption must be in the passenger's favour: no ifs and buts.

K4016td

As you probably know some changes are taking in place in Slough by First Berkshire, however Thames Valley Buses will do some changes as well on the 2nd of April and I think they are worth mentioning about - especially the idea to extend route 12 on Sundays from Burnham directly to Heathrow Airport via M4 and M25 non-stop. I don't know who invented it, but it seems a bit crazy concept in my opinion. Wouldn't be just easier to extend the route 12 from the Slough's side towards Langley and Colnbrook via A4 rather than making a big circle via Burnham and then the motorway?

Also route 2 is being withdrawn from Datchet, but will be replaced by revised route 5 journeys which in addition will give Cippenham another direct bus to Heathrow, after revising First's route 4. And everything would be perfect if the operators would accept each other day tickets but I don't think it would happen any time soon :)

Yesterday Wed 15th Mar 2023

Following the withdrawal of most funding for bus services from Slough Borough Council, we are making some changes to some services from Sunday 2nd April. The changes are summarised below. New timetable booklets will be available from drivers from around 20th March, but an online version is available here. You can also access our new timetables online by going to the relevant service timetable and selecting a forward date (remember to press "Update").
Service 2
Buses will be rerouted between Slough & Windsor to operate via Royal Windsor Way and Arthur Road (as it was before the changes in November 2022) to return us to providing 3 buses per hour along the corridor (along with services 702/703). Customers travelling between Slough and Datchet should use the revised service 5.

Service 5
Buses will have a new route and timetable. In Cippenham, the route will run continue to run half-hourly but buses will now serve Richards Way, Streamside, Earls Lane and Mercian Way, before returning to Slough via the current route. Service 5 will no longer operate along St Andrews Way, Washington Drive or Bower Way.
One bus per hour will be extended to Heathrow (Terminal 5) via Datchet, Horton and Poyle to restore the direct connection to the airport from Cippenham. Buses will run earlier in the morning and later in the evening, 7 days a week along the whole route.
Service 12
This route is operated jointly by First Berkshire and Thames Valley Buses, there are no changes to journeys operated by First Berkshire.
On Saturdays, the last journey of the day, operated by Thames Valley Buses, will run a few minutes later. On Sundays, the route will be extended and buses will run directly from Burnham to Heathrow Terminal 5 via M4 and M25. To accommodate this, journeys towards Burnham/Airport will run via Burnham (Garibaldi) before Priory Estate Shops.
The changes to Service 5 are being made with financial support from Heathrow Airport Ltd, and the changes to Service 12 on Sundays are being made with financial support from Heathrow Airport Ltd and Buckinghamshire Council.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fletcj10

Reading Buses has ordered a fleet of 7 BRAND NEW! Enviro 400 City's, They will be the first 11.5m E400s built with the City-style bodywork to provide 76 high back seats and a range of enhanced features. The first will be in Reading Buses generic silver, the next four in an updated Green Line 702 livery, and two in an updated Green Line 703 livery. They will feature a glazed staircase, skylights, air chill, wood effect flooring, a new seat trim layout, high back seats with USB and wireless charging, social seating areas and LED mood lighting. The two 703 vehicles will also include a luggage rack, whilst the others will have two wheelchair bays. We have earmarked fleet numbers 731-7 for the vehicles. They are due June/July

Here is the latest update from the Reading Buses group of companies.

Reading Buses

405, 406, 407 received updated Hospital park&ride branding over the weekends of 13/14 and 20/21 March, replacing Winnersh Triangle (406) and temporary Hospital shuttle (405/7) branding. 405 was done on the first weekend, 406 on the second, 407 not sure which.

418 returned from repaint into new (orbits) bronze 11 livery on 14 April, with 419 departing in its place in exchange.

758 gained special gold-based lettering and swoosh for the Coronation of King Charles III on 4 May, replacing it’s purple-based Platinum Jubilee lettering and swoosh. It is regarded as still being in generic silver livery with these additions, and also still retains its Reading Buses app MegaRear advert.

Newbury & District

788 has gone away for major accident repairs, and the opportunity will be taken to repaint into Reading Buses generic silver prior to it returning. It is scheduled to be replaced by 1204 in fully restored N&D livery from Thames Valley Buses following the delivery of the new Green Line vehicles, but we don’t yet know which will occur first.

1202 and 810 have spent periods on loan from Reading to Newbury to provide cover so far.

Thames Valley Buses

No news!

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Reading Buses has ordered a fleet of 7 BRAND NEW! Enviro 400 City's, They will be the first 11.5m E400s built with the City-style bodywork to provide 76 high back seats and a range of enhanced features. The first will be in Reading Buses generic silver, the next four in an updated Green Line 702 livery, and two in an updated Green Line 703 livery. They will feature a glazed staircase, skylights, air chill, wood effect flooring, a new seat trim layout, high back seats with USB and wireless charging, social seating areas and LED mood lighting. The two 703 vehicles will also include a luggage rack, whilst the others will have two wheelchair bays. We have earmarked fleet numbers 731-7 for the vehicles. They are due June/July

Here is the latest update from the Reading Buses group of companies.

Reading Buses

405, 406, 407 received updated Hospital park&ride branding over the weekends of 13/14 and 20/21 March, replacing Winnersh Triangle (406) and temporary Hospital shuttle (405/7) branding. 405 was done on the first weekend, 406 on the second, 407 not sure which.

418 returned from repaint into new (orbits) bronze 11 livery on 14 April, with 419 departing in its place in exchange.

758 gained special gold-based lettering and swoosh for the Coronation of King Charles III on 4 May, replacing it’s purple-based Platinum Jubilee lettering and swoosh. It is regarded as still being in generic silver livery with these additions, and also still retains its Reading Buses app MegaRear advert.

Newbury & District

788 has gone away for major accident repairs, and the opportunity will be taken to repaint into Reading Buses generic silver prior to it returning. It is scheduled to be replaced by 1204 in fully restored N&D livery from Thames Valley Buses following the delivery of the new Green Line vehicles, but we don’t yet know which will occur first.

1202 and 810 have spent periods on loan from Reading to Newbury to provide cover so far.

Thames Valley Buses

No news!

Wish they went for Wrights for the 702s, the E400s are not comfortable, especially in the city guise. The buses on the 13/14 and the E400 MMCs are the only nice buses in the fleet.

Wish they'd replace the clapped out 54 plate and 11 plate deckers on the 4. Those are awful buses

Goldfish62

Established Member
Wish they went for Wrights for the 702s, the E400s are not comfortable, especially in the city guise. The buses on the 13/14 and the E400 MMCs are the only nice buses in the fleet.

Wish they'd replace the clapped out 54 plate and 11 plate deckers on the 4. Those are awful buses
The Cities are MMCs with revised styling. Apart from that they're exactly the same. What matters is the seating and these are going to be high spec.

cactustwirly

Established Member
The Cities are MMCs with revised styling. Apart from that they're exactly the same. What matters is the seating and these are going to be high spec.
They don't ride as nicely, the batch of normal E400s seem to be more comfortable to me

Fletcj10

The new fleet of city’s for the 702 will replace some existing buses to then allow the 54 plates to begin withdrawal and i believe the 4 is next depending on how well the 702s are they will look to place an order for the lion with the same citys

Also believe they wanted to go Wright however for some reason they went ADL

Non Multi

As someone who actually uses the route regularly, I'm happy with the choice of Lazzerini seat and everything else I can see from the photos (including the Maidstone 'GL' registrations).

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
As someone who actually uses the route regularly, I'm happy with the choice of Lazzerini seat and everything else I can see from the photos (including the Maidstone 'GL' registrations).
Yes, the Lazzerini Practico seats are hard to beat despite being around now for years. Certainly vastly superior to the rather thin and firm seats that RB had been going for.

duncombec

Robert Williams is kind enough to post a regular update to the "Bus Zone" google group. I don't usually pay much attention to the regular moves and repaints, but he includes the following in the May update, pertinent to the posts above:

Due to licencing issues with Arriva, who own the trademark for the Green Line name which we use under licence, we have decided to introduce a new name with our new buses for the 702 and 703 in June. The livery will continue to be green to help ensure that nobody is confused if they are looking for a Green Line bus. The 702 will become “The London Line” and the 703 will become “Flight Line 703”. Both will also refer to “Windsor Express” to highlight the common core section of route.

Delivery of the new ADL Enviro400 City double deckers has commenced, with details as follows:

Fleet No Registration Body Number Livery Delivered
731 RG23 BUS N450/1 Reading Buses Generic 01/06/2023
732 GL23 LDN N452/1 The London Line Next week
733 GL23 SLH N434/1 The London Line 01/06/2023
734 GL23 WND N434/2 The London Line Next week
735 GL23 LGO N434/3 The London Line 01/06/2023
736 GL23 BKL N451/1 Flight Line 703 01/06/2023 (to be allocated to Thames Valley Buses)
737 GL23 LHR N451/2 Flight Line 703 Next week (to be allocated to Thames Valley Buses)

Exact entry into service is pending completion of post-delivery tasks and a launch event, so I suspect it will be sometime w/c 19 June at the earliest.

These are the first ever 11.5m diesel E400s constructed with the City bodywork. The seating capacity on all seven is 76, but with two slightly different lower deck layouts, 731-5 having two wheelchair bays, and 736-7 having one wheelchair bay and a luggage rack (for Airport work). The usual row of five seats across the back of both decks is reduced to four, and tables replace the rear facing seats downstairs. There is a table upstairs behind the stairwell. They have been built in a way that will allow up to 86 seats and seat belts to be added if desired in the future.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Robert Williams is kind enough to post a regular update to the "Bus Zone" google group. I don't usually pay much attention to the regular moves and repaints, but he includes the following in the May update, pertinent to the posts above:
Thanks for posting that.

So Arriva being Arriva. I did wonder if they'd get funny about RB using the name, especially as it seems to be able to run a more successful operation then Arriva.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for posting that.

So Arriva being Arriva. I did wonder if they'd get funny about RB using the name, especially as it seems to be able to run a more successful operation then Arriva.
Even more bizarre when you consider how lacklustre their use of the Green Line name is.

Glad to see Reading Buses haven’t bothered with the fripperies of cherished plates…:lol: RG-BUS and GL-LHR (Heathrow) WND (Windsor) LGO (Legoland) BKL (Bracknell) SLH (Slough) and LDN (London)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Even more bizarre when you consider how lacklustre their use of the Green Line name is.
Presumably because RB have embarrassed them. It really is typical Arriva at the moment. Seemingly going out of the way to p*** everyone off while having nothing to show for itself.

cactustwirly

Established Member
How bad must the Arriva ones be? The RB ones don't look all that, it's a standard double decker in a green livery :lol:

ChrisPJ

Glad to see Reading Buses haven’t bothered with the fripperies of cherished plates…:lol: RG-BUS and GL-LHR (Heathrow) WND (Windsor) LGO (Legoland) BKL (Bracknell) SLH (Slough) and LDN (London)

Apart from the first one, the others don’t really look like “cherished” marks and almost all members of the public wouldn’t pay any attention.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
How bad must the Arriva ones be? The RB ones don't look all that, it's a standard double decker in a green livery :lol:
I struggle to comprehend how someone designed the new livery in use on Arriva’s Greenline 724 and thought “Yep that looks good”, and sending it to someone at the company who agreed! I get that the purple rear used is probably in association with Heathrow Airport, as it’s also been used on vehicles such as Carlone’s 442, Carousel vehicles and the former Reading Buses/National Express 925 coaches too. But surely there was a better way to combine the purple rear with a green-based livery than what has been come up with?! If anything I think Arriva would have been better off allowing Reading Buses to continue using the Greenline brand, in return for Reading letting Arriva adapt their livery for use on their own vehicles!

Links to photos on Flickr showing front and rear: