• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Buses and Thames Valley

fgwrich

Established Member
I struggle to comprehend how someone designed the new livery in use on Arriva’s Greenline 724 and thought “Yep that looks good”, and sending it to someone at the company who agreed! I get that the purple rear used is probably in association with Heathrow Airport, as it’s also been used on vehicles such as Carlone’s 442, Carousel vehicles and the former Reading Buses/National Express 925 coaches too. But surely there was a better way to combine the purple rear with a green-based livery than what has been come up with?! If anything I think Arriva would have been better off allowing Reading Buses to continue using the Greenline brand, in return for Reading letting Arriva adapt their livery for use on their own vehicles!

Links to photos on Flickr showing front and rear:

Looks like an almost copycat of First's more recent liveries to be honest! Eg, the Weymouth Volvos:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Looks like an almost copycat of First's more recent liveries to be honest! Eg, the Weymouth Volvos:

That's not the current Wessex livery.

But then I think you've summarised Best Impressions liveries well....

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I struggle to comprehend how someone designed the new livery in use on Arriva’s Greenline 724 and thought “Yep that looks good”, and sending it to someone at the company who agreed! I get that the purple rear used is probably in association with Heathrow Airport, as it’s also been used on vehicles such as Carlone’s 442, Carousel vehicles and the former Reading Buses/National Express 925 coaches too. But surely there was a better way to combine the purple rear with a green-based livery than what has been come up with?! If anything I think Arriva would have been better off allowing Reading Buses to continue using the Greenline brand, in return for Reading letting Arriva adapt their livery for use on their own vehicles!

Links to photos on Flickr showing front and rear:

Looks like it's sponsored by Southern Electric, to be honest.

Mwanesh

The Arriva Greenline colours look like their old style livery. Why can't they stick to the Greenline colours? They looked nice on the Van Hools and Citaros. Half hearted effort. Then they have the cheek to argue with Reading Buses who are making an effort with the brand. Apart from Heathrow, they don't go anywhere near each other.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Arriva Greenline colours look their old style livery. Why can't they stick to the Greenline colours they looked nice on the Van Hools and Citaros. Half hearted effort. Then they have the cheek to argue with Reading Buses who are making an effort with the brand. Apart from Heathrow they don't go anywhere near each other.
That's Arriva for you. They really are acting strangely these days.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I noticed on the Reading Buses careers page, an advert for coach drivers for the Newbury & District division - specifically for a new coach service to Heathrow Airport. Initially I presumed it might be a new National Express contract they've won, but then noticed there is a separate page recruiting for National Express work.

I therefore wondered if anyone knew what this new service might be? With Reading and Oxford already having established links to Heathrow Airport, would it really be competition for them? Maybe something longer distance, as Newbury or its immediate surrounds surely wouldn't be enough to support a new service? The advert can be found at https://www.reading-buses.co.uk/bus-drivers-wanted and is repeated below.

I also note on the Buszone Google Group page, Reading Buses CEO Robert Williams posted in the May 2023 update the following, which one presumes is related:- "Newbury & District Four new Volvo B8R / Plaxton Panther 3 53-seat coaches are on order for delivery in the summer and entry into service from 1 September for new services, and will be followed by two Irizar i6S Efficient 57-seat coaches to replace 1401/2 towards the end of the year."

We're looking for enthusiastic and customer friendly bus or coach drivers (or people looking to start their career as a driver) to join Newbury & District, part of the award-winning Reading Buses family.

This job is part of an exciting new coach service to Heathrow. You will be part of a dedicated rota helping to bed in and grow this new route.

Based out of our Greenham depot, Newbury & District is a name synonymous with public transport in West Berkshire since 1932. 90 years later we’re proud to be providing the very highest levels of service with modern buses and a small team of friendly drivers. As Newbury & District bus driver you will be delivering the highest standards of customer service, safety and comfort for your passengers.

Existing PCV licence holders with a minimum of 12 months CPC could qualify for a £3000 joining bonus. Click here for details and terms and conditions.

Job requirements include:

• A valid, clean, car driving licence
  • A valid PCV driving licence, or join as trainee to get your PCV license
  • Driver Qualification Card
  • Previous experience in bus or coach driving preferred but not necessary as training can be given
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Have outstanding customer service skills
  • Possess a can-do attitude
  • Successful candidates may need to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
Salary & Benefits include:

• An hourly rate of £14 M-F and £16.50 M-F 12am-6am, Sat/Sun, public holidays.
  • Yearly salary of around £30,000
  • A PAE pension scheme
  • An award-winning training team
  • 24 days holiday plus public holidays
  • Free uniform
  • Employee discounts on shopping, holidays & cinema through an online hub
  • Employee assistance scheme
  • Free CPC training
  • Free travel on the Reading Buses network
Responsibilities and duties include:

• taking passengers to their destinations
  • selling and checking tickets
  • making announcements during the journey
  • assisting customers with potential queries
To apply

E-mail your CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected]

For more information, call us on 0118 959 4000 or email [email protected]

Reading Buses is an equal opportunity employer.

Last edited:

chopperman21

I noticed on the Reading Buses careers page, an advert for coach drivers for the Newbury & District division - specifically for a new coach service to Heathrow Airport. Initially I presumed it might be a new National Express contract they've won, but then noticed there is a separate page recruiting for National Express work.

I therefore wondered if anyone knew what this new service might be? With Reading and Oxford already having established links to Heathrow Airport, would it really be competition for them? Maybe something longer distance, as Newbury or its immediate surrounds surely wouldn't be enough to support a new service? The advert can be found at https://www.reading-buses.co.uk/bus-drivers-wanted and is repeated below.

I also note on the Buszone Google Group page, Reading Buses CEO Robert Williams posted in the May 2023 update the following, which one presumes is related:- "Newbury & District Four new Volvo B8R / Plaxton Panther 3 53-seat coaches are on order for delivery in the summer and entry into service from 1 September for new services, and will be followed by two Irizar i6S Efficient 57-seat coaches to replace 1401/2 towards the end of the year."
I assume this is related to the new Route 730 that has had a London Service Permit submitted for Heathrow Terminal 5 to Frimley (but believed to be operating further), possibly as far as Basingstoke. Due to go live on 24th July, so I would expect some publicity soon.

LUYMun

I assume this is related to the new Route 730 that has had a London Service Permit submitted for Heathrow Terminal 5 to Frimley (but believed to be operating further), possibly as far as Basingstoke. Due to go live on 24th July, so I would expect some publicity soon.
The link to the 730's LSP: https://ehq-production-europe.s3.eu...7c8537fb3970533adbb468605623b8e3a4bf32fc866c1

Makes me wonder why Frimley of all places to run an express route, perhaps as a recreation of Alder Valley's X7/X8 Londonlinks?

Service 730
To: Heathrow Central Bus Station
Period of operation: Daily Service
Introduction Date: 24 July 2023

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Makes me wonder why Frimley of all places to run an express route, perhaps as a recreation of Alder Valley's X7/X8 Londonlinks?
Needs to be somewhere from which a coach can realistically compete with a train - ie close to the motorway, but not close to a main line railway.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Bagshot and Camberley were on Heathrow Airport Limited's original expansion-related public transport enhancement plan. Presumably running it down the motorway to those locations saw enough spare time to extend it down the road to Frimley within an hour journey time without requiring any additional resource. With Frimley High Street also being close to the A331/M3 junction, it could also be a potential expansion point westwards towards Basingstoke or if they wanted to penetrate the Blackwater Valley further down into Farnborough, Aldershot, Farnham etc along the A325. That said, National Express did extend the Woking Railair to/from Aldershot for a short time

Goldfish62

Established Member
Basic Lazzerini seating which is fairly comfortable. I wonder where the current Greenline fleet will end up, hopefully it might mean some displacements and some newer buses coming to Newbury to see off the few omnideckers we have.
Some will surely move from the 702 to the 703 to supplement the two new buses.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Basic Lazzerini seating which is fairly comfortable. I wonder where the current Greenline fleet will end up, hopefully it might mean some displacements and some newer buses coming to Newbury to see off the few omnideckers we have.
Hopefully to Reading for the 4/X4

Non Multi

Hopefully to Reading for the 4/X4
Lion routes will get fleet replacement with similar specification vehicles to this order. Likely to happen later this year from what I've read.

The displaced 400MMCs become generics, 795 moves to Bracknell depot for the 703.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
730 numbers have been added to Suurey County Council bus stops, albeit different to those in timetable - Bagshot Square and Camberley Knoll Road. The southbound Frimley stop has 731 instead of 730 and the Heathrow Staff Travel Guide suggests the 731 will be two-hourly extensions of the 730 to Basingstoke.

New 730 and 731 coach link *

New coach links are expected to be introduced by 29

August from Basingstoke, Old Basing, Frimley, Camberley and Bagshot.

The first journey every day will arrive at Terminal 5 before 04:00, and the last journey every day will depart Terminal 5 at 00:20. The frequency will be approximately hourly from Frimley, Camberley and Bagshot and 2-hourly from Basingstoke and Old Basing.

Team Heathrow will be able to purchase the following unlimited travel tickets:

4 weeks from Frimley, Camberley, Bagshot - £114

4 weeks from Basingstoke and Old Basing - £142
Page 34 of https://www.heathrow.com/content/da...nsport/sustainable_travel_colleague_guide.pdf

Pics of the bus stop flags can be found on the Hants & Surrey Bus Blog Facebook post at https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...m28vwozPqnRLnrDdP6FKEYUG1l&id=100067883228937

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpeg
    IMG_1555.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1556.jpeg
    IMG_1556.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1558.jpeg
    IMG_1558.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30

Another 12 Enviro 400s and 4 Enviro 200s on order:

Alexander Dennis, a subsidiary of NFI Group Inc., one of the world’s leading independent global bus manufacturers, today announced that it has supplied seven new Enviro400 to Reading Buses and its sister company Thames Valley Buses.

The new double deck buses introduce new identities for the companies’ Windsor Express routes, formerly known as Green Line. The 702 between Legoland and the capital becomes the London Line, while sister route 703 from Bracknell to Heathrow Airport is now the Flight Line. Both run directly past the royal residence at Windsor Castle.

The new Enviro400 buses have a striking road presence with the manufacturer’s ‘City’-style body, which includes a glazed staircase and skylights.

Inside, they are fitted with an air-chill system on the upper deck, high-backed seats, tables on both decks, USB and wireless charging, wi-fi, next stop announcements, and an additional luggage rack on the buses for Flight Line. Coffee shop-style flooring completes the specification.

Reading Buses has declared the new Enviro400 buses fit for a King and publicity around the relaunch involved a journey on the service by Their Majesties King Charles III and Queen Camilla – or at least their lookalikes.

Mod note: a quote is required when referring to external sources.

Last edited by a moderator:

MotCO

Established Member
Reading Buses seem to be making a success of the route unlike First who threw the towel in. What does that say about First?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Reading Buses seem to be making a success of the route unlike First who threw the towel in. What does that say about First?
It's difficult to make a direct comparison because the route has since been restructured and split in two and the 703 has been helped by funding from Heathrow.

MotCO

Established Member
It's difficult to make a direct comparison because the route has since been restructured and split in two and the 703 has been helped by funding from Heathrow.

That may well be the case, but why didn't First think of doing this? It shows lack of initiative at First, and shows how Reading (with local managers, short command chain etc) can be nimble and spot opportunities.

fgwrich

Established Member
That may well be the case, but why didn't First think of doing this? It shows lack of initiative at First, and shows how Reading (with local managers, short command chain etc) can be nimble and spot opportunities.
To be fair to First, you could say that about a lot of their former Opcos until fairly recently. I mean, look at how much Kernow was the poor relation of First Group, the perpetual first group dumping ground if you will, until the arrival of Alex Carter and Marc Morgan Huws. Even Slough has only really seen something of a rebrand prior to Marc's departure.

Berkshire has for some time been a poor relation of First, not particularly helped by being no-where near to any other First Opcos since the sale of London.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I see the Wrights aren't being very reliable atm with 3 out of use, the 13/14 has had more grey buses than orange ones recently

fgwrich

Established Member
I see the Wrights aren't being very reliable atm with 3 out of use, the 13/14 has had more grey buses than orange ones recently
I can’t say I’m surprised to be honest. I wonder how long it’ll be before Reading lose patience with them and either dump the Streetdeck for new MMCs or more second hand vehicles?

MasterSpenny

Seen it messaged to me on Discord that Reading Buses have got the 10.3m BYD E400 EV (LD72XZS), can’t post the link as the original source is from the Londoner Facebook Group according to https://tangytango.proboards.com/post/766324/thread

There is a photo of the first 10.3m BYD/ADL E400 EV on The Londoner Facebook page. According to the post it will be in Reading for route 50. Not my photo so I shan’t post it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Seen it messaged to me on Discord that Reading Buses have got the 10.3m BYD E400 EV (LD72XZS), can’t post the link as the original source is from the Londoner Facebook Group according to https://tangytango.proboards.com/thread/7398/electric-buses?page=109
Yes, there's also a photo on the Reading Transport Enthusiasts Group FB site.

From the angle the photo is taken it's difficult to tell the difference from the standard 10.9m version.

Update:
And in fact it's now in service on the 50 this morning.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
I can’t say I’m surprised to be honest. I wonder how long it’ll be before Reading lose patience with them and either dump the Streetdeck for new MMCs or more second hand vehicles?
They are very nice from a passenger perspective, they are well built and have smoother suspension than the E400s.

The worst ones are the fake routemasters on the 17, all style and no substance, they have a firm ride and rattle and crash everywhere.

I believe 5 Street decks were out this week

Goldfish62

Established Member
They are very nice from a passenger perspective, they are well built and have smoother suspension than the E400s.

The worst ones are the fake routemasters on the 17, all style and no substance, they have a firm ride and rattle and crash everywhere.

I believe 5 Street decks were out this week
The "fake Routemaster" are an E400MMC with a restyled front and rear and optional staircase. Otherwise they're exactly the same. Identical ride and same build quality.

MotCO

Established Member
The "fake Routemaster" are an E400MMC with a restyled front and rear and optional staircase. Otherwise they're exactly the same. Identical ride and same build quality.
I didn't realise a staircase was an optional extra. ;)