• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lee_Again

Hi All,

I live in Stevenage and travel to London frequently. However, trains from Stevenage use Moorgate, Kings Cross and St Pancras as destinations. Exclude Moorgate as I rarely, if ever, venture there.

So how do I set two destinations up when searching for trains to London?
I have tried using 'Subsequently calling at Finsbury Pk', but of course, not all of them do, and misses out the few fast Great Northern and LNER services.
It's similar in reverse... is the next train from Kings Cross or St Pancras?

Any ideas?
Thank you.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hi All,

I live in Stevenage and travel to London frequently. However, trains from Stevenage use Moorgate, Kings Cross and St Pancras as destinations. Exclude Moorgate as I rarely, if ever, venture there.

I have tried using 'Subsequently calling at Finsbury Pk', but of course, not all of them do, and misses out the few fast Great Northern and LNER services.

Any ideas?
Thank you.
I don’t believe such a feature is yet offered.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi All,

Any ideas?
Thank you.

Why would you need to? just do a location search for Stevenage and RTT will show you all departures and arrivals within your chosen timeframe.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi All,

Any ideas?
Thank you.
It can’t be done as you hope. The best thing to do for your query is probably to open two instances of the site, and set up one for future calling at Kings Cross and the other for St Pancras.

Peter0124

Established Member
Why would you need to? just do a location search for Stevenage and RTT will show you all departures and arrivals within your chosen timeframe.
But he'll want to get rid of atleast half of the services that appear (the ones that call but dont go to Kings Cross or St Pancras). Otherwise you have a fairly large list of trains.

I think it would be good if you could search for trains at a specific station, that pass through a particular place before or afterwards. Currently only works if it calls at the station though. So with the OP's Finsbury Park suggestion it would show trains that pass through there but don't call (thus covering both KGX and STP)

Benjwri

Established Member
Couldn't you do what trainline does and have a London (any) option?
How do you define London (any) in this case though. With Trainline etc it’s fairly straightforward, but once you throw freight into the mix it become far more complicated.

SteveyBee131

How do you define London (any) in this case though. With Trainline etc it’s fairly straightforward, but once you throw freight into the mix it become far more complicated.
RTT detailed searches can be filtered into passenger, freight, passing, calling TOC etc, so the unneeded results could be removed.

Peter0124

Established Member
Filtering for multiple TOCs would be a nice addition to the site.

Eg being able to search Avanti services and TPE in one search.

liamf656

I was thinking about this, instead of a certain TOC have a tick box list and untick the ones you don’t wish to view

Hi All,

Or view multiple future calling points. For example in the text box, you could type in “KGX, STP” for trains that call at both stations as mentioned above

Maybe one to think about even if it’s for the upcoming subscription version, although I’m not sure how easy these are to develop or if they’re worth being in the list of priorities

justin1123

I am trying to find out which XC services are operating as HST today/tomorrow.
Is RTT or Traksy more likely to be correct for this?
For example, Traksy shows the 1959 and the 2100 Dar to EDI today being HST - RTT shows one of these as Voyager and has no info for the other.

Benjwri

Established Member
I am trying to find out which XC services are operating as HST today/tomorrow.
Is RTT or Traksy more likely to be correct for this?
For example, Traksy shows the 1959 and the 2100 Dar to EDI today being HST - RTT shows one of these as Voyager and has no info for the other.
Traksy only shows what’s planned in the timetable, if RealTimeTrains has an allocation that is what the TOC has running it in their own systems. That means the 1959 is almost definitely a Voyager. The 2100 probably doesn’t have an allocation because it’s an altered schedule, but could be a HST, and was planned to be so.

To further this, CrossCountry journey check doesn’t show a change in formation for the 2100, so it is more than likely a HST.
Platform screens are showing coach D as a bike space, which unfortunately means this is most likely a voyager too. I wonder if HSTs can even do the diversion via Newport?

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Traksy only shows what’s planned in the timetable, if RealTimeTrains has an allocation that is what the TOC has running it in their own systems. That means the 1959 is almost definitely a Voyager. The 2100 probably doesn’t have an allocation because it’s an altered schedule, but could be a HST, and was planned to be so.

To further this, CrossCountry journey check doesn’t show a change in formation for the 2100, so it is more than likely a HST.
Platform screens are showing coach D as a bike space, which unfortunately means this is most likely a voyager too. I wonder if HSTs can even do the diversion via Newport?
HSTs can do the diversion, there have been many photos of them being at Newport.

justin1123

Thanks. That is very useful.
That's a shame. I am planning to travel EDI to CMN tomorrow morning and really wanted the HST. If none are going up today then I guess that makes it unlikely for the morning trains tomorrow. I know the 0606 from EDI is almost always an HST - Traksy shows 0606 and 0806 from edi as HST - XC/RTT I don't think have anything. Any more thoughts?

Benjwri

Established Member
Traksy shows 0606 and 0806 from edi as HST - XC/RTT I don't think have anything. Any more thoughts?
Traksy shows what a train is pathed as, this is also shown on RTT if you selected the detailed view, then ‘Show train information’. This is just what it is down as in the timetable, and doesn’t actually mean that train will run the service.

That's a shame. I am planning to travel EDI to CMN tomorrow morning and really wanted the HST. If none are going up today then I guess that makes it unlikely for the morning trains tomorrow. I know the 0606 from EDI is almost always an HST - Traksy shows 0606 and 0806 from edi as HST - XC/RTT I don't think have anything. Any more thoughts?
You’re actually in luck, I’ve just sighted 1S55 at Derby on its way to Edinburgh on RailCam and it is a HST. That means there will be a HST at Craigentinny tonight and likely therefore a HST run service tomorrow. RTT will probably be able to tell you which tomorrow.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
Lots of XC services are pathed as HSTs, far more than could ever be run by the small number of HSTs XC have. A Voyager can keep up with an HST schedule, but an HST can't keep up with a Voyager schedule, so pathing a lot of them as HSTs gives them the operational flexibility they need.

At some point I will get round to changing the wording and emphasis on Traksy to make it clearer that pathing isn't the same thing as allocation

andythebrave

As I've indicated before, we largely rely on the operator to provide the information to us. If we get the time, which we have had very little of recently because of other work then we will go through an operator's fleet by hand and check for images. TfW is the fleet that has been through the largest amount of change in recent years and it has been hard to keep up - compare that to SWR who helpfully email us every week with what is in the paint shop who have another 4 units being updated later this week.

The system is encoded with operator-class-vehicle and it cascades following that - so the Northern hire-ins because they're not otherwise defined get the default TfW image (i.e. their new livery). As it happens, the TfW fleet has been updated in our underpinning dataset in the last few days and will be released later this week.

We also have another issue in that our usual designer is extremely backlogged with RealLife™ and OtherWork™ so we have a considerable backlog (something in the region of 100 sprites) in trying to get everything done for new liveries and new TOCs. If anyone fancies paid freelance work as a vector artist for us, then please email me directly with examples of your work and we can have a chat.
Good evening @Tom , I've sent you a message re vector art.

justin1123

Traksy shows what a train is pathed as, this is also shown on RTT if you selected the detailed view, then ‘Show train information’. This is just what it is down as in the timetable, and doesn’t actually mean that train will run the service.

You’re actually in luck, I’ve just sighted 1S55 at Derby on its way to Edinburgh on RailCam and it is a HST. That means there will be a HST at Craigentinny tonight and likely therefore a HST run service tomorrow. RTT will probably be able to tell you which tomorrow.

Thanks again! Looking good.
What does it mean when RTT doesn't show what is operating a service? I notice that for XC to edi tomorrow, all trains now show what they are except the 0606 and the evening train on to Glasgow. These are both pathed as HST but both don't show an allocation.

Benjwri

Established Member
Thanks again! Looking good.
What does it mean when RTT doesn't show what is operating a service? I notice that for XC to edi tomorrow, all trains now show what they are except the 0606 and the evening train on to Glasgow. These are both pathed as HST but both don't show an allocation.
It just means it hasn't been entered in CrossCountry's system, or RTT hasn't picked it up for some reason. (Maybe something for @Tom to investigate as it happens a lot for XC). Not sure about the evening service, but the 0606 will almost definitely be a HST, as there is a HST at Craigentinny and it isn't allocated.

D6130

Established Member
It just means it hasn't been entered in CrossCountry's system, or RTT hasn't picked it up for some reason. (Maybe something for @Tom to investigate as it happens a lot for XC). Not sure about the evening service, but the 0606 will almost definitely be a HST, as there is a HST at Craigentinny and it isn't allocated.
I too was hoping to catch 1V50, 06 06 EDB-PLY at Leeds today. It departed 15 minutes late with no allocation shown on RTT, so I've a nasty feeling that it was a short-notice Voyager substitution.

MP393

I too was hoping to catch 1V50, 06 06 EDB-PLY at Leeds today. It departed 15 minutes late with no allocation shown on RTT, so I've a nasty feeling that it was a short-notice Voyager substitution.

XC Journey Check shows it as 15 late due to waiting train crew, but still showing as a HST formation on their website

MP393

How can you see the formation on the XC website?

On the Journey Check website, if you check “formation updates” it shows all Double Voyager & HST formations and the way round that they are!

Tim_UK

I don't think there is a way to search for trains to 2 destinations.

But, the filters in RTT are in the URL. So if you search and then book mark the page, you can just open that bookmark another day. Or just have 2 taps on your phone for the 2 destinations.

and

As always, best to email real time trains direct and ask the question - it might be something they are thinking about, or there may be another way.

JKF

The other benefit of this would be for us spotter types to check for railtour operator workings etc. I will usually check RTT on a daily basis for freight workings (ZZ) in various locations in my area, to spot anything interesting running, but on occasions I’ve missed things like loco-hauled stock moves by Locomotive Services (LS), because it would be a drag checking each individual tour operator on RTT - if you could select all alongside freight then that would make it easy to pick these up.