• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reasonable First Class routing Edinburgh-Dunblane

Status
Not open for further replies.

donald2007

I have an advanced First ticket that is specific to a VT service via Edinburgh with appropriate connections to Dunblane.

There is no 1st Class accommodation on the direct EDB services to Dunblane operated by Scotrail.

Is there an alternate routing I could take with First Class accommodation, changing somewhere, that isn't taking the Michael? :p.

The alternate would be a ticket via Glasgow Central, changing to Queen Street for the direct service from there but I want to go via EDB.

EDIT: I see there is a VTEC service at 16:33 to Stirling where a further change could be made to Dunblane. I'm no expert, but the routeing guide says:

Stirling.
STG
Allowed by exact match at NFM64: SDS from HYM to STG on route 00000: £4.20 is NOT more expensive than SDS from HYM to DBL on route 00000: £4.70.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
No, that would not be valid as the VTEC service is reservable. If you are not given reservations for appropriate connecting services you may only travel on other unreservable trains. The routeing guide doesn't come into it. I'll have a look to see if there are any unreservable trains on this route with first class accommodation though I suspect you're out of luck.

Last edited:

donald2007

I have got the TOC to cancel my booking free of charge and I'll seek to via Glasgow.

I believe the only 1st Class accom is via Glasgow Central on a 158 or via Queen Street changing at Stirling.

Actually for this GLQ-STG section I do not remember it being a Sprinter. I took it last year sometime and it was definitely one of those 170s. Now it looks to be all Sprinters?

Just to clarify that while the GLC-DBL is reservable I'm not obligated to take that service because it doesn't form the specific train element of the advance ticket, is that correct?

najaB

Veteran Member
Just to clarify that while the GLC-DBL is reservable I'm not obligated to take that service because it doesn't form the specific train element of the advance ticket, is that correct?
If you are provided a reservation, then yes you have to travel on the specified train. If not, then you can travel on any 'appropriate' train - I'd say anything an hour or so either side of the suggested service.

donald2007

If you are provided a reservation, then yes you have to travel on the specified train. If not, then you can travel on any 'appropriate' train - I'd say anything an hour or so either side of the suggested service.

But aren't reservations optional on Scotrail services?

Is there a text one can refer to which lays down the rules regarding appropriate services?

Established Member
If I were you in future I wouldn't worry about the First Class to Dunblane - you've now rearranged your booking for the doubtful pleasure of half an hour or so in First on a Scotrail 170!

I regularly use First advances through to Perth or beyond on Scotrail but accept that the journey will be completed on a wretched collapsed seat on a Standard only 158. I'm quite happy to buy the ticket on the basis that it carries a reasonable price for the overall journey from, say, York or Newcastle.

donald2007

If I were you in future I wouldn't worry about the First Class to Dunblane - you've now rearranged your booking for the doubtful pleasure of half an hour or so in First on a Scotrail 170!

I regularly use First advances through to Perth or beyond on Scotrail but accept that the journey will be completed on a wretched collapsed seat on a Standard only 158. I'm quite happy to buy the ticket on the basis that it carries a reasonable price for the overall journey from, say, York or Newcastle.

Thanks for your words but I prefer to go via GLC and it seems to be a direct service.

I am interested to get different train types "in" I think that is reasonable on a rail forum :).

I think its a refurbished 158 with First class, which is one to add to the books.

Established Member
I think its a refurbished 158 with First class

Enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.