• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
What journeys and units have people travelled on lately? I went on Arriva's 150245 on the 0634 Rhymney to Penarth service yesterday :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

What journeys and units have people travelled on lately? I went on Arriva's 150245 on the 0634 Rhymney to Penarth service yesterday :)

I went on a packed 150206 on saturday from Manchester Victoria to Todmorden on the 1718.

chris89

Established Member
Hmm last journey by rail was on the 5th of this month.

ARM (Armadale) - EDB (Edinburgh Waverly) Dept 11:13 Arr 11:43. Class 334
EDB (Edinburgh Waverly) - WVH (Wolverhampton) Dept 12:51 Arr 16:55ish ( 10 + late). Class 221

Chris

jopsuk

Veteran Member
work yesterday (cycled today). A 12-car 379 on the way, a 4-car 317/8 on the way back.

Ivo

Established Member
I haven't travelled by train for a while :(

In 25 hours' time though, I should be saying the following:

FGW HST from Bath Spa to Paddington; LUL to Tower Hill or Aldgate; c2c via the Bow Single Line to Stratford; NXEA to Southend Victoria - with the first and last legs of the journey being done in First Class. (The world's worst First Class in the latter case.)

NSE

Established Member
15:54 West Hampsted-Kentish Town West, 20:57 back again. Ivo, I'm planning on getting that c2c service too!

asylumxl

Established Member
NXEA to Southend Victoria - with the first and last legs of the journey being done in First Class. (The world's worst First Class in the latter case.)

Besides the appauling FC, Southend Victoria is a vile vile station. I have used it once, and once is enough for a lifetime!

nlogax

Established Member
Monday; Lowestoft to Norwich on what was supposed to be a unit but turned out to be 2x NXEA Mk3s (first class), 1 x DVT, topped and tailed with a pair of 47s. Made my day.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
NXEA to Southend Victoria - with the first and last legs of the journey being done in First Class. (The world's worst First Class in the latter case.)

What's worse, 1st class in the 321s or 1st class in the 317/5s? In the 321s is at least in properly seperate section isn't it? On the 317/5s it is the middle of a carriage and the saloon doors have been removed.
(meanwhile on the 379s- "1st class in coaches, 1, 5 and 9"- presumably in the evenings this is "1st class in coaches 4, 8 and 12"? I'd like to see it displayed for the 12-car 365s)

Ivo

Established Member
What's worse, 1st class in the 321s or 1st class in the 317/5s? In the 321s is at least in properly seperate section isn't it? On the 317/5s it is the middle of a carriage and the saloon doors have been removed.
(meanwhile on the 379s- "1st class in coaches, 1, 5 and 9"- presumably in the evenings this is "1st class in coaches 4, 8 and 12"? I'd like to see it displayed for the 12-car 365s)

I haven't tried the 317s to be fair. I would be very surprised if the offering (not including said doors) was worse though. I guess the obvious thing to say is that NXEA's FC offering is the worst in general; even their FC offering on the 90+Mk3 rake is poor inc omparison to some other even shorter-distance routes, such as SWT 458s. I intend to travel across every mile of Essex I have not yet used whilst back in Southend, so I shall make a point of "treating" myself to a very short hop on each of 317, 360 and 379 in FC - and Standard in the latter case; I haven't been on a 379 period yet...

It cannot be worse than what Southern offer surely?

Oh yes it can. SN 377s offer very little improvement on Standard Class in many respects, but their Standard is better than NXEA 321 FC provision anyway! The main points with SN are that the chance of a quiet-ish seat - actually, make that a seat in general - are much better, and that last I knew you did at least get a small amount of comlimentary catering. Unless it's changed since May last year, the tight gits in Norwich don't even offer free tea and biscuits on the rake runs, never mind anything else!

Also, I don't believe SN will charge you to use FC on a non-FC route (i.e. it's declassified if it does exist). This might just be because THEY AREN'T ALLOWED TO! NXEA, on the other hand, beg to differ...

Platform 1

I haven't travelled by train for a while :(

In 25 hours' time though, I should be saying the following:

FGW HST from Bath Spa to Paddington; LUL to Tower Hill or Aldgate; c2c via the Bow Single Line to Stratford; NXEA to Southend Victoria - with the first and last legs of the journey being done in First Class. (The world's worst First Class in the latter case.)

FGW's FC is nice but they need to be a bit more generous - they'll only give you instant coffee unless you pay for it! :o <(

Ivo

Established Member
FGW's FC is nice but they need to be a bit more generous - they'll only give you instant coffee unless you pay for it! :o <(

Choose tea instead ;)

I quite enjoy FGW FC provision. It's not the best I've ever sampled - that accolade goes to EMT 222s - but it's certainly very good.

Also, I can't complain about a fare of barely £20 all the way to Southend, inclusive of tea and biscuits! The fare I'm paying is cheaper than the FDS from Liverpool Street to Southend Victoria, but more than it is from Stratford, where my NXEA journey will start. It will also be the first time I've travelled on c2c with an FC ticket, which is pointless given they don't have any! :shock: If not for the Bow Single Line I wouldn't bother - and if I manage to not reach Fenchurch Street in time (I will have roughly 50 minutes) it's back to Liverpool Street instead...

Funnily enough, it will be the second consecutive c2c journey I've made returning to Southend from Bath that serves Stratford!

Last edited:

Hydro

Established Member
Currently on 950001, 0716 Bristol Barton Hill to Westbury.

Robinson

Got my first ride on a SWT 450 yesterday, albeit only from Winchester to Southampton Airport Parkway. Didn't think it was especially brilliant (preferred the LM 350s and would choose a 444 every time given the choice between them).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Signature duly added to... ;)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I haven't tried the 317s to be fair. I would be very surprised if the offering (not including said doors) was worse though.
From photos, it appears the 321 1st class is roughly similar to that in the 317/6 fleet. The 317/5s are definitely worse. The 317/7s have leather reclining seats. the /8s have the same as the /5s if I recall rcorrectly.

Ivo

Established Member
I'll remember that. How easy is it to tell which kind of 317 will turn up on any given West Anglia (or even GE) service, or is it a case of pot luck? Do any still appear on the Stansted Express or is that exclusively 379-run now?

Got my first ride on a SWT 450 yesterday, albeit only from Winchester to Southampton Airport Parkway. Didn't think it was especially brilliant (preferred the LM 350s and would choose a 444 every time given the choice between them).

:shock:

I couldn't say for certain but I've probably used them 100 times, and I don't even live in SWT territory (or at least electrified/regular SWT territory)!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I WANT ELECTRIC TRAINS!!!!

I'm in diesel land.

But of course electrification of the SWML is on the cards soon :D I can be in London within about 90-100 minutes ;DD

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'll remember that. How easy is it to tell which kind of 317 will turn up on any given West Anglia (or even GE) service, or is it a case of pot luck? Do any still appear on the Stansted Express or is that exclusively 379-run now?

The Stansted Express should be all 379 unless (like last week) they've got some 317s they want to have on limited duties.
West Anglia services are mainly pot luck. I assume the (off peak) 379 duties are fixed, as the peak time ones certainly are, but beyond that in theory Cambridge services are supposed to be /6 I think and others /5 and /8, with the /7 on the GE runs, but this would require more organisation than currently exists.

Established Member
The Stansted Express should be all 379 unless (like last week) they've got some 317s they want to have on limited duties.
West Anglia services are mainly pot luck. I assume the (off peak) 379 duties are fixed, as the peak time ones certainly are, but beyond that in theory Cambridge services are supposed to be /6 I think and others /5 and /8, with the /7 on the GE runs, but this would require more organisation than currently exists.
They are all diagrammed (honestly) with each sub-class being balanced each night so the plan would work if fleet and control got the right units on the right diagrams - I have no idea if there is actually any instruction to do this in reality though...

WA should have 20x317/6, largely Cambridge services, 23x317/5 or 317/8 (all diagrammed as 317/5), mainly Hertford/Chingford/Stratford and 2x317/7, peak Cambridge turn, out each day by diagram.

On topic, 377209 I think it was I had in this morning.

sprinterguy

Established Member
My last trip was 390015 on the 14:45 from Wolverhampton on my way back to Birmingham last Saturday, it says so in my signature. :)

There's likely to be a lot of activity on the Tyne and Wear Metro for me next week, followed by some trips on the West Highland line and a journey on the northern end of the ECML.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Got my first ride on a SWT 450 yesterday, albeit only from Winchester to Southampton Airport Parkway. Didn't think it was especially brilliant (preferred the LM 350s...)

The differences between a 450 and a 350/2 are trivial - only livery and upholstery colour changes.

So you must be comparing a 450 with a 350/1?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Um, 444015 for about the fifth time, 018 for about the fourth, and, as a bonus, 444025, which I had not had before, last week. I has not been anywhere lately on account (a) being Busy and (b) the Weather.

deltic1989

Established Member
last journey i did was 17:50 Nottinham-Lincoln Central on tuesday. formed of 2x class153 (sorry guys didnt get the numbers. but one was still in CT livery if that helps)

Status
Not open for further replies.