• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recommendations for a journey in Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSE

Established Member
Evening everyone, next Friday I'm likely to have some spare time in Glasgow, maybe three to four hours. The other week I went to Scotland for the first time for the same purpose and travelled St Neots-Peterborough-Edinburgh-Glasgow (via Falkirk High on the way and Via Carstairs on the way back) both ways. This time, I'm not going there and back in one day and have some spare time. Can anyone recommend me a little train trip I could do?

I'd love to see Inverness and Aberdeen but don't really have much time, so something that stays near to Glasgow is best. I'm not really looking to see anything I particular, just trying to bash new routes, tick off new stock (got the 380's in last time, so they aren't a priority, nor are 170's or 158's as I can be them in England, though it's always nice to see other operators of course).

I don't mind buying a combination of tickets as I don't think a Glasgow travel card unlimited travel kinda ticket exists? If it does then that will almost plan my day for me.

Also if anyone local could point out any routes with excessive traffic from the commonwealth games that'd be great as I'd rather avoid anything too busy of I can.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NotATrainspott

Established Member
If you want to go as far as you can for as little money as possible just get a Subway ticket and stay on for the full circle.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
You might find some interesting info on thread "Trip to Glasgow" on the TRAIN PLANNING AND REPORTS BOARD. Most recent post only this week on 23/7

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Wemyss Bay might be worth a run out, beautiful station and you could couple it with a trip across to Rothesay.

I will second that. You can see integrated transport working at its best. Rothesay may have seen better days but there is still a faded grandeur about the place. There is a castle and Mount Stuart is worth a visit too.

I also think Barrhead-Kilmarnock also offers nice views.

Yes, you can see Arran on a clear day. Also, if I remember correctly, there is quite a nice section immediately south of Barrhead. Glennifer Braes?

The Glasgow Roundabout ticket is £6.30 and offers travel in this area if you fancy more brief runs out.

http://www.spt.co.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/roundabout_map3.pdf

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Take a trip down one of the coast lines and cross over to one of the islands by Cal Mac

Weymss Bay, Gourock, Ardrossan or Largs offer easy ferry connections depending on your time frame

NSE

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, in particular for the roundabout ticket MattE2010. You all seem to suggest the coastal routes to the west of Glasgow so I guess that looks like my trip. I've seen a picture of Wemyss Bay before, it looks good so that's probably the first choice.

First Class to and from St Neots with EC and connections so I'm looking forward to it.

Once again, thanks for your help and suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Gathursty

Established Member
My tips are:
Wemyss Bay,
Gourock,
Ardrossan South Beach,
Barassie,
the view from the skylink at Prestwick International Airport

Enjoy this very beautiful part of Britain.

Thanks for the replies, in particular for the roundabout ticket MattE2010. You all seem to suggest the coastal routes to the west of Glasgow so I guess that looks like my trip. I've seen a picture of Wemyss Bay before, it looks good so that's probably the first choice.

First Class to and from St Neots with EC and connections so I'm looking forward to it.

Once again, thanks for your help and suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Remember that this Friday, the Commonwealth Games are still in the thick of it until Sunday.

probably would recommend a trip from Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate, by 334.Change at Airdrie for a 320 or 318 to Queen Street Low Level. Then a trip from High Level to Crianlarich by 156. Exceptional scenery up the side of Loch Lomond and Loch Long. Would not recommend staying anywhere in the Greater Glasgow area this week, due to high costs. If time permits a 314 on the Cathcart circle.

Head back to Edinburgh from Glasgow Central via Shotts on a 156 or 158. Alternatively via Carstairs by 380.

All trains will be very busy and extras are running on a number of routes.

NSE

Established Member
Oh I'm fully aware of the games. They're the indirect reason I'm going (long story)

Status
Not open for further replies.