• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Record-breaking 100+ hour delay? "You can travel on the Avanti service immediately after this train" ... in 5 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

There are literally no words that can sum up how this shower are, how they have the sheer cheek to still get paid for this just speaks volumes for the country as a whole, I just hope they lose the contract

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

william.martin

On Moderation
There are literally no words that can sum up how this shower are, how they have the sheer cheek to still get paid for this just speaks volumes for the country as a whole, I just hope they lose the contract
Virgin never had a problem.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I believe there was a driver for this but required his break before being able to drive this and because of that additional time the service would not reach glasgow before the industrial action kicked in
If he had any sense he’d have been out of sight in the messroom. Not sure I’d fancy standing around in an Avanti uniform when they’d just cancelled the last train on Christmas Eve!
Is this from a reputable source? I thought the strikes were based on shift booking-on times.

Also, this suggests that the drivers' day was meant to finish in Glasgow. So will the driver now have to cram onto the Liverpool service and then the replacement bus along with everyone else, thus getting back later than if the train had simply run late after his/her break?

I absolutely don't blame the driver here - no idea what the specific circumstances are - but it doesn't seem like the best planning.

I don't see how it would make any difference if they do lose the contract.

Established Member
Is this from a reputable source? I thought the strikes were based on shift booking-on times.

Also, this suggests that the drivers' day was meant to finish in Glasgow. So will the driver now have to cram onto the Liverpool service and then the replacement bus along with everyone else, thus getting back later than if the train had simply run late after his/her break?

No idea re. the source, but sounds plausible. Re. the strikes, that’s right, and Network Rail rail have closed lines very early to allow possessions to start. Hence the train most likely wouldn’t have been allowed to run once it was known it would be late.

It’s quite likely to be a Preston driver? Potentially difficult for them to get home, too, of course!

Established Member
I thought the strikes were based on shift booking-on times.
Yes, but I think the concern was reaching a certain point on the route and finding there is no signaller and as a result the train is stuck...

matt_world2004

Established Member

I absolutely don't blame the driver here - no idea what the specific circumstances are - but it doesn't seem like the best planning.

I don't see how it would make any difference if they do lose the contract.
They are but isn't there a network rail strike today too resulting in reduced operating window for running trains

py_megapixel

Established Member
It’s quite likely to be a Preston driver? Potentially difficult for them to get home, too, of course!
Just running the train only as far as Preston would have been more helpful than cancelling it, though if the issue is signalling as the posts below seem to suggest then that's fair enough.

Yes, but I think the concern was reaching a certain point on the route and finding there is no signaller and as a result the train is stuck...
They are but isn't there a network rail strike today too resulting in reduced operating window for running trains
That makes sense - thanks both for explaining

Starmill

Veteran Member

The inbound service which the driver would have worked, the 0901 departure from Preston, was cancelled after Preston because of the set being swapped onto the 0918 to Birmingham International, which was itself cancelled from Edinburgh to Preston.

Established Member
Just running the train only as far as Preston would have been more helpful than cancelling it, though if the issue is signalling as the posts below seem to suggest then that's fair enough.

Yes. Suspect the issue would have been needing it to run it through area(s) that were being given up for engineering possessions.

Master29

Established Member
Virgin never had a problem.
You have to wonder how beardy lost the contract bearing in mind first group did try to get the franchise a few years before which ended up costing the taxpayer millions. Begs the question of how could he have been worse than Avanti?

Established Member
You have to wonder how beardy lost the contract bearing in mind first group did try to get the franchise a few years before which ended up costing the taxpayer millions. Begs the question of how could he have been worse than Avanti?

I bet “beardy” feels he’s swerved a big bullet, and is mightily relieved he no longer has anything to do with the railway!

dk1

Veteran Member
I bet “beardy” feels he’s swerved a big bullet, and is mightily relieved he no longer has anything to do with the railway!

I often think that. Got out just four months before Covid came along & got in the way. He always was very astute.

theking

Bet they still get millions from the crooks in government in a few months when it's bonus time.

Taunton

Established Member
Were sorry for the delay to your journey

There is an apostrophe in 'We're'. It seems that they do not even have anyone who can write an apology in straightforward primary school English.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I really don't understand why they don't just cancel the second last train if a cancellation is required. That way the worst people get delayed for is a 1 hour wait for the last one.

Because that would require the train crew to work overtime (eg have their shift extended by an hour), the RMT currently have an overtime ban as part of the work to rule industrial action.

Matt_pool

I don't think that religion is the way to take this, there is a lovely British taxi driver who lives on his own near me and works Christmas day just so people can still get where they need to be if they ever have a problem with transport!
What is a "British taxi driver"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't "Muslim" taxi drivers also British?

Okay, some of them might not have been born in the UK, but they will have British passports, or maybe just Indefinite Leave To Remain.

An ex work colleague of mine was a Muslim of Somali heritage, but he was born in Liverpool and is British. He didn't celebrate Christmas but was grateful for the time off work!

Anyway, that doesn't stop Avanti from being an absolute joke. Are they related to Northern and TPE?

geoffk

Established Member
I see that the final trains ran only to Runcorn and Stockport respectively.

Boski

I have completely given up with avanti, living in surrey and being from the cumbrian coast line. They are pratically my only option. I just do not bother anymore, not the way rail travel should be at all!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we refrain from posting about the ethnic origins/religions of taxi drivers please and confine ourselves to talking about the appalling behaviour of Avanti today.

thanks

gazzaa2

I believe there was a driver for this but required his break before being able to drive this and because of that additional time the service would not reach glasgow before the industrial action kicked in

Could have at least got it to Preston. Not like they don't terminate half their trains there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.