• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Record-breaking 100+ hour delay? "You can travel on the Avanti service immediately after this train" ... in 5 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

theking

The government gives the tocs incentives to not take on qualifieds that's why they all do this apprenticeship stuff as they get free money from the government.

Plus why would they take on people that know what they're doing when they can mold yes people instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dieseldriver

The government gives the tocs incentives to not take on qualifieds that's why they all do this apprenticeship stuff as they get free money from the government.

Plus why would they take on people that know what they're doing when they can mold yes people instead.
And meanwhile, Qualified Drivers who wish to relocate or are unhappy with their current company are stuck indefinitely with no way of doing anything about it. I can’t think of another professional job where your qualifications are deemed worthless by other companies who employ people in the same role.

Established Member
Route cards are part of Drivers records that transfer across to a new company when they move.
Only the plastic part of the licence is yours. The paper part remains with your previous company.

You tell the new company what you sign on the transfer form, but I think it's more for information rather than assuming you sign all of those routes and don't need any training.

As an example, you might sign a route with a TOC, move to a FOC, but I know I wouldn't know any of the freight speeds on what I currently sign. I'd need training.

Howardh

Established Member
Other than inform the press, which is one heck of a story in itself, all the passengers affected need to speak, face-to-face, with their own individual MPs, and if they are Tory ask how in the name of earth can they carry on with their franchise? There HAS to be a point where even MP's say "yes, they've gone to far this time" (or, in this case, gone nowhere!").

I fear booking anything long distance - and as retired not only do the railways miss out, but also the tourist industry in the UK which won't be getting my booking. How many others are in this situation?

thedbdiboy

And meanwhile, Qualified Drivers who wish to relocate or are unhappy with their current company are stuck indefinitely with no way of doing anything about it. I can’t think of another professional job where your qualifications are deemed worthless by other companies who employ people in the same role.
These are all the after effects of lack of consistent long term resource planning at an industry level, and it is going to take some time to get sorted. The flip side was the period post-privatisation where driver wages were bid up because poaching them was quicker than training them. The catalyst for the current situation (as with so many things) was COVID, where (as continues to be proven), stopping a whole heap of economic activity for a sustained period of time (driver training being an economic activity) has inevitable serious consequences that take time to right themselves. It won't go on forever but I can imagine the frustration

Darandio

Established Member
Other than inform the press, which is one heck of a story in itself, all the passengers affected need to speak, face-to-face, with their own individual MPs, and if they are Tory ask how in the name of earth can they carry on with their franchise? There HAS to be a point where even MP's say "yes, they've gone to far this time" (or, in this case, gone nowhere!").

Which is all well and good, but who then runs the franchise? It's on it's arse for a multitude of reasons which aren't immediately fixable no matter who's running it.

thedbdiboy

Which is all well and good, but who then runs the franchise? It's on it's arse for a multitude of reasons which aren't immediately fixable no matter who's running it.
Well indeed; what I find frustrating is this general air of 'take it off 'x' and give it to 'y' and all will be solved' when any analysis of the underlying issues can see that it will take sustained effort to put right. That's not a defence of leaving it in current ownership, just reflecting reality

Howardh

Established Member
I don't know the ins and outs of franchising, but the obvious answer to me is the government (I think they technically run Northern?) until such times as - if we are keeping franchising and not nationalisation - Virgin can get it back.

It's actually got to the point where it might be best for the railways not to run at all and they give the job to coach firms to get us up and down the country by road (only half joking!). I mean, seriously, with Avanti and TPE, just what is the point of them from a passenger's angle?

Darandio

Established Member
I don't know the ins and outs of franchising, but the obvious answer to me is the government (I think they technically run Northern?) until such times as - if we are keeping franchising and not nationalisation - Virgin can get it back.

The government are effectively running it right now as with all franchises, the strings are being pulled in Whitehall. I assume you mean turning it over officially to them as an OLR (Operator of Last Resort) like LNER, Northern, SouthEastern but even if they did have the capability to add yet another franchise to the operation all of the current problems still remain.

Howardh

Established Member
The government are effectively running it right now as with all franchises, the strings are being pulled in Whitehall. I assume you mean turning it over officially to them as an OLR (Operator of Last Resort) like LNER, Northern, SouthEastern but even if they did have the capability to add yet another franchise to the operation all of the current problems still remain.
(a) Yes! Although - admittedly - if the companies have allowed themselves driver and staff shortages there's not a lot can be improved. They don't turn up overnight. But a OLR might adjust the timetable to fit the staffing, fewer trains but more reliable and trustworthy?

(b) "Current problems". Did we have current problems when Virgin ran the franchise? If not, why not? Asking for a fed-up friend of mine who is forever looking up cheap domestic flight tickets.

skyhigh

Established Member
(b) "Current problems". Did we have current problems when Virgin ran the franchise? If not, why not? Asking for a fed-up friend of mine who is forever looking up cheap domestic flight tickets.
Partly because of Covid, partly because of industrial relations (which, due to Covid, Virgin would be under the same DfT strings as Avanti) and partly because of poor management. If the same Virgin was running things now, there would still be problems.

Pakenhamtrain

The problem is, the price being right often costs a lot of money. At my place I know of people on overtime over Christmas where the “price” is double (or more) overtime payment, plus a number of days off in lieu. As well as storing up problems for the future, this is hardly good in an industry which is supposed to be attempting to save money.
My best mate is a suburban train driver in here in Melbourne. He's on shops work tonight(Moving trains in his depot with the chance he does actual runs) He clocked in at 8PM Christmas Day. He earns Triple time for 4 hours then I think Double time and a half for the rest of his shift.
I think there's some allowances built in as well.
He will easily earn over 1000 AUD for his shift tonight.

I've asked him how busy he's been tonight. He's responded with "I'm doing jigsaw puzzles". I can safely tell you now he's not complaining.

Deltic1961

I fear booking anything long distance - and as retired not only do the railways miss out, but also the tourist industry in the UK which won't be getting my booking. How many others are in this situation?

We had booked to go from Aberdeen to London for holidays in September. Had to cancel due to a strike on the return date. We got a cash refund for one leg and a voucher for the other. We then thought about going just after new year (as the hotel we booked wanted double the money for summer) but glad we didn't as guess what ..... another strike.

We've now gone for dates in May but not sure if it will actually happen. We could end up losing £500 for the hotel (as we have to rebook within 18 months from the original booking) and £125 for the rail tickets if we can't find suitable hotel and rail dates.

It's a bloody disgrace and totally discourages long distance travel for holidays, concerts etc.

The impact on the finances of the country due to these strikes are far more widespread than people think.

Even on a local level I've basically stopped using Scotrail in to Aberdeen as they are cancelling services at short notice for the hell of it. Check at 9am train on time .... 15 minutes before departure cancelled. Impossible to rely on them for anything.

For me personally rail is over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.