• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recruitment for internals and externals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick82

I am curious to how recruitment works in general with in the Rail industry. I am aware every company does things different and to a certain degree they have their own process. My question is regarding internal and external vacancies and so called government guidelines. Is there any truth regarding the governments involvement regarding companies have to have a certain % of external candidates. So when a job is advertised internal does it have to go external and do companies have to have a particular % of off the street (external) job offers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WCMLaddict

Simply? No.
There's no such legal obligation, but any company can choose to write their own policy (for example requiring external advertising) as long as it's not discriminatory in the legal point of view.

Last edited:

Nick82

Ok many thanks for that. Also with a lot of freight drivers being made redundant I am aware ASLEF have made agreements to a number companies to take on qualified drivers instead of trainees. (I know of a company that have had vacancies for trainee drivers but this agreement might be a disadvantage to potential new drivers), so could a company be within their right to hire qualified drivers instead of trainees. So again there is no obligation for this also.

WCMLaddict

Of course the company would be within their rights. It's kind of a no-brainer to hire someone that will need much less training and will become fully productive much sooner.
Having said that, they still have to go through the recruitment process, it isn't an automatic thing for them to get that job.

Nick82

Of course the company would be within their rights. It's kind of a no-brainer to hire someone that will need much less training and will become fully productive much sooner.
Having said that, they still have to go through the recruitment process, it isn't an automatic thing for them to get that job.

and that would be regardless of the agreement with ASLEF, that even those qualified drivers would still go through the recruitment procedure as anyone applying for the trainees position, obviously minus the assessments

WCMLaddict

Yes. Process is different but you can still fail in getting the job.
ASLEF has ensured that there's enough vacancies across the network for redundant freight drivers.

Aivilo

Doesn't mean jobs are guaranteed at all. My friend has been trying since January when the news went out and had been offered one interview (would mean relocating again) got the chop may the 7th and hasn't seen anything done on the ground

farrell

Morning all. Does anybody have any idea as to how recruitment with Network Rail?

I have passed the initial online application and have been successful in the verbal reasoning test, having spoke to their HR the only info I could get was that they were still sifting through applicants for the same role(station assistant) and that I would hear more within the next 2 weeks.

Can anyone tell me whether the next phase is still a video interview followed by assessment days or has it changed at all?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.