• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refund for unused tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danuzumi

So i was looking at the National Rail site earlier and came across this

"If you decide not to use your ticket to make all or part of your intended journey then you can get a refund by returning your unused ticket to the ticket office or place of purchase (for tickets bought via websites, telesales or travel agents) within 28 days of the ticket expiry date. You may be required to pay an administration fee."

So each month, i get like loads of unused tickets and partly unused tickets from Greater Anglia and C2C which i don't use due to different reasons. Anyone have any experience with this or know if theres some kind of small print i'm not seeing?

Many thanks,

danuzumi

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Do you mean unused (you did not make the journey) or unstamped (you made the journey but the ticket was unmarked)?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Do you mean unused (you did not make the journey) or unstamped (you made the journey but the ticket was unmarked)?
I'm not clear about the question either.

Specifically this statement:
. . . So each month, i get like loads of unused tickets and partly unused tickets . . . .
I guess its a different use of language that's confusing me, but it leads me to ask how someone 'gets' 'unused tickets' and/or 'partly used tickets'.

I'd like to assume for the moment that danuzumi is fully aware that Rail Tickets are not transferrable, and that the only tickets that carry any right to be convey by rail are those which will have been bought and paid for by danuzumi (or an agent or other person acting for them).

There are also some ticket types (the type beng printed on the ticket) which loose their validity quite quickly, e.g. an Advance is ony valid on a specified train, the Return portion of an Return ticket and an Off Peak Ticket have time/date limits on their validity.

Without some more information about the specifics, then we can't really give a response with the precise detail that would help danuzumi. Any chance that you can tell us what tickets you are enquiring about, please?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What journeys are you making?

There is a £10 admin fee. I don't think you would get much back from a ticket from East London to anywhere on c2c...!

Why do you need to buy these walk-up tickets in advance?

A "partly unused" ticket cannot be refunded.

island

Veteran Member
I think you can get a refund on some partly-used return tickets, but they calculate it by subtracting the cost of the corresponding single from the price of the return, and deducting the admin fee of £10. In general due to the way tickets are priced, this will probably mean only Anytime Returns will have any residual value. But I may be wrong on this.

Tickets you purchased can be refunded if eligible up to 28 days after their validity ends.

Tibbs

I have 2 tickets that I've not used the return portion of.

A return from Waterloo to Havant, when I got dropped off at Salisbury instead.

A return from Witham to Liverpool Street where someone was driving past my house and took me right to my front door.

Looking at this the admin fee would be more than the money I'd get back surrendering them!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What ticket type do you have? The chances are that the single is about £1 less than the return, so you'd possibly be due a refund of £1, less £10 admin fee, so you'd then owe the TOC about £9. So probably best left ;)

Tibbs

What ticket type do you have? The chances are that the single is about £1 less than the return, so you'd possibly be due a refund of £1, less £10 admin fee, so you'd then owe the TOC about £9. So probably best left ;)

Off-Peak return, so probably you're right!

Status
Not open for further replies.