• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refund on Annual Season Ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadCommuter

I currently hold an annual season ticket between Hamilton West and Anderston, which expires on 29th Dec 2014. This was bought before the 2014 fare increase and cost £868. I use the ticket Mon to Fri for commuting.

The details are unclear yet, but work circumstances are likely to be different between 30th June and 8th August inclusive, meaning I will be unable to use the ticket. However, after this period I will require it again. I'm trying to work out if I should give up my existing ticket and get a new one, or grin and bear it.

If I submit the ticket for a refund on 27th June, how much will I receive, after the administration fee?

Also, how much would a new season be for the period 11th August to 24th December? Or perhaps I should get a new annual commencing 11th August?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
If I submit the ticket for a refund on 27th June, how much will I receive, after the administration fee?
Price paid: £868.00 for 12 months, so base rate is 868/40=£21.70
Admin fee £10.00
Used 6 months 29 days (30/20/2013-27/6/2013), so charged at 21.7*((6*3.84)+(5*0.64)+(4*0.13))=£580.70 (rounded up to the next £0.10)
Refund due 868-10-580.7=£277.30

Also, how much would a new season be for the period 11th August to 24th December?
4 months and 13 days.
Base rate is now £22.40
Therefore, season cost is 22.4*((4*3.84)+(2*0.64)+(3*0.13))=£381.50
Or perhaps I should get a new annual commencing 11th August?
That will be 40 times the base rate, so £896.00.

andythebrave

As the annual is only a little over the cost of 10 one month tickets you will be worse off refunding and repurchasing as the refund will be calculated on the cost of monthly and part monthly tickets up to the point of surrender. It is possible that you may be better off cancelling your season and repurchasing an annual in August but that does depend on how many years you then keep it! If you can schedule your main annual holiday for mid August 2015, end August 2016, mid September 2017 etc then that would work well!

MadCommuter

Thanks for the replies.

Clag : used period will be less than 6 months by the date given in June, I think? Anyway, this is unlikely to increase the refund enough to make it worthwhile.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Refunding and then getting another ticket for the period between when you get back to work and the original expiry date will never work out, because you are only away for around six weeks, so you are effectively giving up the six "free" weeks you get with an annual season ticket. With increases in the base rate for the new ticket, that is why you would be worse off doing that.

greatkingrat

Established Member
In theory, doing a changeover to a Anderston - Queen St season, and then changing it back in August would be the best option. However actually finding a ticket office who will do it might not be worth the hassle.

MadCommuter

Refunding and then getting another ticket for the period between when you get back to work and the original expiry date will never work out, because you are only away for around six weeks, so you are effectively giving up the six "free" weeks you get with an annual season ticket. With increases in the base rate for the new ticket, that is why you would be worse off doing that.

A good explanation, thanks.

In theory, doing a changeover to a Anderston - Queen St season, and then changing it back in August would be the best option. However actually finding a ticket office who will do it might not be worth the hassle.

Interesting, hadn't thought about doing a changeover!

Status
Not open for further replies.