• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refurbished Eurostar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Maybe the one you are talking about is where the passenger cars were being used as refurb test beds and the power cars as you describe.

That's correct and it's in Today's Railways Europe issue 233 page 47, with a photo.

Only I got one detail wrong; it's power cars 3007 / 8.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Last edited:

Established Member
Looks very nice - here's hoping they haven't changed the seating layout as the one currently on the 373s has correct seat/window alignment and a good mix of tables/airline.

Yew

Established Member
Indeed, it looks nice inside, perhaps a little bland, but still very smart.

I'm not the biggest fan of the exterior livery, I dont like that gray, it looks like its primer waiting to be painted

jon0844

Veteran Member
Having been on an ICE3, I don't think the interior of the new Eurostar trains is going to be exactly full of life, and will be much the same (so the average passenger can barely tell the difference).

They'll look bright and modern, which some will as cheap and plastic!

airinter

The new interior looks certainly smarter and cleaner than the current one, but it does not look as if they change that much apart from the seats and the wallpapers. There will still be the step underneath the windows which afaik contains heating and ventilation stuff and makes footspace a bit cramped on all TGV models. They probably also keep the pneumatic doors between the seating area and the vestibules, whose noise can be very annoying if you sit in a coach close to the bar next to those doors and fellow travellers keep coming and going.

I do hope that the new seats have equally large folding tables in the backrests as the old ones did. There are more than enough trains where you can not have a cup of tea because the table is already too small for your computer and those fishnet bags with the eurostar magazine are only suitable for bottled drinks.

Established Member
Also, unless the photos have been strategically taken then it looks like those stupid emergency window bars have been removed too!

Goldfish62

Established Member
The new interior looks certainly smarter and cleaner than the current one, but it does not look as if they change that much apart from the seats and the wallpapers.

To me it looks like one of the biggest refurbs I've seen on a train.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, I'd say it's even more than what was done on the Heathrow Express (especially first class). It looks like a brand new train.

starfury

Looking very good. Although it looks like there will be a mix of e300 (refurbished), e300 (unrefurbished) and e320s running for the foreseeable future.

Does anyone know which service(s) the refurbished set is working on? And whether there is a revised seat plan knocking about?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wow, they look VERY impressive. Just shows what can be done with a good quality refurbishment, and why I continue to argue that many existing trains are not yet fit for scrapping (bar mechanical/parts issues) just because they look run down inside.

Indeed. I learnt this years ago when I first encountered (at age 16 if I recall) a refurbished DB Silberling set, which I thought at the time was brand new stock built to an old design rather than just a very high quality and comprehensive interior refurb.

The key is doing a complete job of it including replacing or re-powder-coating (rather than badly painting) interior panelling, grab rails and the likes. Missing one aspect (e.g. side panels on 156s) gives it away, as do obvious brush strokes on panels. And not doing a messy half-job in which you don't even clean the ceiling panels as was done on the Wessies for GatEx.

Last edited:

superalbs

Established Member
I saw the refurbished set on 5th August at Brussels, after arriving on the 12:58 from London. It looked very nice on the inside, but sadly there were bags over the seats, so I couldn't see them. It left before I could take any photos sadly. It was bound for St Pancras for those wondering.

newmilton

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what stock they might be using on the first Paris train of the day (05h58 from Ebbsfleet) in November? I'm on my way to Turin via Paris.

Indeed. I learnt this years ago when I first encountered (at age 16 if I recall) a refurbished DB Silberling set, which I thought at the time was brand new stock built to an old design rather than just a very high quality and comprehensive interior refurb.

May I nominate Arriva Trains Wales refurbed 158s? By far and away of my favourite vehicles to travel on between Wolves and Brum. Luxurious!

But boy, those Eurostars look spanking gorgeous.

Last edited:

flash

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what stock they might be using on the first Paris train of the day (05h58 from Ebbsfleet) in November? I'm on my way to Turin via Paris.

Two choices either a 373 or 374 :lol:

Although given that the 374's aren't in service until the 20th (and then only very limited number i.e 1) you are likely to have a 373

newmilton

Although given that the 374's aren't in service until the 20th (and then only very limited number i.e 1) you are likely to have a 373

I meant, Whether it might be one of the refurbished sets.

MCR247

Established Member
Isn't there only one? And its unlikely the stock will be booked this far in advance, and unlikely that it would work the same diagram every day in November

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The seating plans on the Eurostar website have some seats marked "Available, but direction of travel cannot be guaranteed". Is this because of the configuration being different in a refurbished unit or even an e320?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

The planned diagram ( usual disclaimers apply ) for the 374 from the 20th November, Mondays to Fridays only, is:

07.01 St Pancras - Paris Nord
12.13 Paris Nord - St Pancras
15.31 St Pancras - Paris Nord
20.13 Paris Nord - St Pancras

JaJaWa

Established Member
The seating plans on the Eurostar website have some seats marked "Available, but direction of travel cannot be guaranteed". Is this because of the configuration being different in a refurbished unit or even an e320?

Neither. It's always said that. In fact I think those seats aren't even guaranteed to be airline or table style.

class387

Established Member
Hi,
Does anyone have any photos of set 3007 which has apparently been refurbed to a different standard?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.