• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reigate Signal Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

SignalBox

I have been invited for an interview with Network Rail for a Train Signalling vacancy. I was just wondering if anyone had any information about Reigate Signal Box (Grade 3).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
The signal box (TCB) covers the line between Redhill (not including some of the equipment in the Redhill area) through to Shalford Jn. This is a two-road section of the North Downs Line, which also includes a couple of engineers' & rolling stock sidings. The line has many level crossings, some of which are simple uncontrolled foot crossings, ranging right up to the full barrier crossing on the busy A217 at Reigate, which is monitored from the box. Some are used by farmers, so some telephone conversations with them should definitely be possible - something to bear in mind especially with regards to recent discussions on this forum about possible distractions from this sort of thing. From a very basic point of view, all signals are colour-light type.

You may be interested to know (if you did not previously) that the line is electrified between Reigate & Redhill (and onwards onto the BML), but the rest is not. Linespeed is up to 70mph. The line can experience disruption due to its rural nature in parts, meaning animals on the line and also wheelslip caused by leaf fall and ice/snow. Even the urban & suburban areas of Redhill, Reigate and Dorking can experience unusually cold weather.

Off-topic but perhaps still useful... FGW services (2tph each way for most of the day Mondays-Saturdays and usually 1tph Sundays) are Class 165s or 166s. Reigate-Redhill shuttles and Reigate-London Terminals services are all 3 or 4 coach 377s, though these don't quite fill the platforms at Reigate. Steam charters, diesel route learners and a very small amount of freight trains use the line.

As for the signal box itself, it is located right beside Reigate station. I understand it was a 24-lever box upon opening in 1929.

Last edited:

SignalBox

Thank you for the in depth reply TSR.

Would I be right in thinking TCB is Track Circuit Block which means the track is divided up by red rubber bands into sections. The signalling panel will have lights for each particular block and as the train passes through each block they will light up?

You said "(2tph each way for most of the day Mondays-Saturdays and usually 1tph Sundays)" Are you sure of this? I have been told it is 4 trains per hour.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

carriageline

Established Member
Looks like we are against each other on this one buddy!

Or well, we both have the chance of working together!

Tomnick

Established Member
Thank you for the in depth reply TSR.

Would I be right in thinking TCB is Track Circuit Block which means the track is divided up by red rubber bands into sections. The signalling panel will have lights for each particular block and as the train passes through each block they will light up?
Track circuits are found on most lines, irrespective of the method of signalling. However, the principle of Track Circuit Block relies on them to prove sections clear, whereas they play more of a 'supporting role' in other systems.
Interesting point about animals as one of the questions in the interview is about cows on the track. If asked that question my response would be.. "Firstly i'd inform Operations Control then begin to tell any driver that will be passing through that location to proceed with caution. Once I found out that it was cows on the track, due to them being a large animal I would arrange for the line to be cleared".
Can I make a suggestion to both of you? Obviously no-one's expecting you to have an in-depth knowledge of the Rules & Regs, but it's always wise to start dealing with an emergency situation (which a large animal in the four-foot obviously constitutes!) by making the job safe - so firstly stop trains by whatever means necessary (emergency bell signals, radio broadcast, signals to Danger etc.), then think about informing Control and getting things moving under caution.

carriageline

Established Member
Interviews done! Seemed to go very well, and I was very prepared for all their questions to be honest.

Thanks all!

Goggy02

Hi

Had an interview for the Billingshurst position last week (at Pulborough Station, i think the Reigate interviews were held there too) and felt it went well, the job seems very interesting but the box will be decomissioned in late October and the contract is to the end of November. I did ask the question of transfering to the regional operational centre in Three Bridges and was informed that come November i will technically be out of a job but there will be vacancies for staff to transfer to Three Bridges but there will be lots of Signallers going for a limited amount of positions in the new centre so a big risk if you are to leave a permanent job!

465fan

Was also at Pulborough earlier this week. Was thrown in for Reigate. The actual number of positions at Reigate, from memory, was five trainees. Again, interview was not a problem, Manager seemed to like me and my prior experiences, so let's hope for good news.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Tomnick

Established Member
Sounds rather like the forum's taking over the signalling grade in the area! Hopefully it'll be good news all round :) .

Cab2Cab

I have been invited for an interview with Network Rail for a Train Signalling vacancy. I was just wondering if anyone had any information about Reigate Signal Box (Grade 3).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi,

Even though this a short term vacancy (reading posts beyond your post(above)) were you still required to take the signalling assessment with Network Rail ( eg the lift counting exercise, numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning, etc) or does this not count with it only being short term employment.

Cheers

Captain Chaos

Is Reigate box closing and getting integrated into Three Bridges then? Would be sad to see it go. The only time I ever get to wave to the signal box as I pass.

Cab2Cab

Hi

Had an interview for the Billingshurst position last week (at Pulborough Station, i think the Reigate interviews were held there too) and felt it went well, the job seems very interesting but the box will be decomissioned in late October and the contract is to the end of November. I did ask the question of transfering to the regional operational centre in Three Bridges and was informed that come November i will technically be out of a job but there will be vacancies for staff to transfer to Three Bridges but there will be lots of Signallers going for a limited amount of positions in the new centre so a big risk if you are to leave a permanent job!

Is Reigate box closing and getting integrated into Three Bridges then? Would be sad to see it go. The only time I ever get to wave to the signal box as I pass.

Hi,

I may have misread the posts, they might mean Billinghurst is to close not Reigate ,

Can anyone clarify this for me and chaos,

Thanks

tsr

Established Member

Sadly, this is planned within the next few years. The proposed year of closure is in a Network Rail CP document, I think.

Billingshurst is a separate matter as I believe the closing date is much earlier. Please don't quote me on this, however.

carriageline

Established Member
Yep, Reigate is November this year.

Still waiting to hear back from HR. they rang me a few days BEFORE the interview asking when I could do my medical, I told them Tuesday (tomorrow), so hopefully they get back to me today.

I did email them, and a helpful lady was helping me,and was waiting for a third reply then I guess they all went home! So should hopefully hear back tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Good luck to all!

Goggy02

Hi,

I may have misread the posts, they might mean Billinghurst is to close not Reigate ,

Can anyone clarify this for me and chaos,

Thanks
[Was informed at interview that Billingshurst to close 28 Oct]

Cab2Cab

Hi,

Did you still have to go through the signalling assessment with network rail for the Reigate/Billinghurst positions, by the time you have passed out it will be closed, will you be moved to a different location?

Cheers

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Reigate is a mechanical box, is it not? How do its functions get moved to Three Bridges without replacement of the existing signalling or is there some work planned to do this? Given the long headways, like for like replacement isn't what is needed for the North Downs Line if capacity is ever to be improved.

Goggy02

If you mean Signal School then yes. I was informed that they have to get the successful candidates in the school for 02 April so gives us little time to hand in notice etc. The school is 9 weeks i believe then a couple of weeks in the box and before you know it the box will be closed and the contract ends. The interviewer was very honest when i asked this question and replied that it is a FTC and although the job would transfer to Three Bridges ROC, many of the other Signallers on the Arun Valley Line who are to lose their jobs will be going for the same limited positions

Cab2Cab

If you mean Signal School then yes. I was informed that they have to get the successful candidates in the school for 02 April so gives us little time to hand in notice etc. The school is 9 weeks i believe then a couple of weeks in the box and before you know it the box will be closed and the contract ends. The interviewer was very honest when i asked this question and replied that it is a FTC and although the job would transfer to Three Bridges ROC, many of the other Signallers on the Arun Valley Line who are to lose their jobs will be going for the same limited positions

Perhaps not then, the signaling assessment is a all day affair doing verbal, numerical reasoning, lift counting exercise and others, if you pass this you then move on to the interview stage, perhaps this is the case no longer?

carriageline

Established Member
Perhaps not then, the signaling assessment is a all day affair doing verbal, numerical reasoning, lift counting exercise and others, if you pass this you then move on to the interview stage, perhaps this is the case no longer?

I did mine 2 years ago, they still use the assessments.

Established Member
Last I heard is that Reigate is down to close in 2017.

As with all such proposed closure dates I wouldn't set any great store by them until signs of work such as holes being dug etc start appearing; though bear in mind that re-signalling can sometimes take place without any visible signs to the casual observer (usually a "re-control" of an existing area which has already been modernised fairly recently)

Steveo1258

Yes I got verbally offered and have a medical booked for Monday in London, nothing in writing yet though!

Steveo1258

Thank you mate, hope you hear something soon.

Last Thursday they called to offer it to me also got a call from bupa the same day to book medical bit concerned though haven't had an email since or nothing in the post.

Did many people apply for the positions do you know?

carriageline

Established Member
Thank you mate, hope you hear something soon.

Last Thursday they called to offer it to me also got a call from bupa the same day to book medical bit concerned though haven't had an email since or nothing in the post.

Did many people apply for the positions do you know?

What day was your interview mate and what time?

They said they was interviewing 9 people on the day, but that was for the Reigate and billingshurst jobs. Strange they only rang you, and none of the other 4 candidates that I have asked!

Steveo1258

What day was your interview mate and what time?

They said they was interviewing 9 people on the day, but that was for the Reigate and billingshurst jobs. Strange they only rang you, and none of the other 4 candidates that I have asked!

Last Tuesday at 15.30, they rang Thursday morning about 9ish to offer it to me there's 3 positions right?

carriageline

Established Member
Last Tuesday at 15.30, they rang Thursday morning about 9ish to offer it to me there's 3 positions right?

Did you get there early by any chance? You might of been after me haha.

Awww, looks like we haven't got it then haha. Yeah, that's what was advertised at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.