• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PudseyBearHST

No, there is 6 of us that got the position. 3 of us are going through the Apprentice route and 3 are going direct entry as Trainees. It depends on your suitability- Me and Swayed are the two for London Euston. But Swayed is going straight as a Trainee which makes sense as he is 36 years old and I will be doing the additional Apprenticeship year as I am only 19 years old.

Well done Swayed and look forward to meeting you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PudseyBearHST

I've not had an email or phone call so wondered if I should be waiting for a call or a rejection email. It seems unusual to not give all the offers/rejections on the same day, but perhaps I'm wrong! Relocating would be needed and I'd like to start that asap if I was given an offer. I work in outdoor instruction so I can't have my phone on me between 9-5 so I tend to miss calls frequently :lol:
Maybe give the OPC a phone, my CBI interviewer suggsted I call if I don't get an offer.

I thought everyone was called on Friday. I missed my call and had voicemail saying to call back which I did at 1930 approximately. After he congratulated me, he said that he was still waiting on the Polmadie winning candidate to call back because he/she also missed the call. The person who called was Sam Edwards, one of the people who designed the apprenticeship.

Dot2018

No, there is 6 of us that got the position. 3 of us are going through the Apprentice route and 3 are going direct entry as Trainees. It depends on your suitability- Me and Swayed are the two for London Euston. But Swayed is going straight as a Trainee which makes sense as he is 36 years old and I will be doing the additional Apprenticeship year as I am only 19 years old.

Ah fair enough congratulations to you dude. Did you attend on the 11th? I spoke to a few 19 years olds that day.

PudseyBearHST

Ah fair enough congratulations to you dude. Did you attend on the 11th? I spoke to a few 19 years olds that day.

Thanks mate. Yes I did! There was myself and the chap from Preston. I will PM you my name if you remember me.
Unlucky this time round but hopefully you can secure a Trainee Driver's job with another TOC/FOC.

Swayed

I thought everyone was called on Friday. I missed my call and had voicemail saying to call back which I did at 1930 approximately. After he congratulated me, he said that he was still waiting on the Polmadie winning candidate to call back because he/she also missed the call. The person who called was Sam Edwards, one of the people who designed the apprenticeship.

Pm’d You

Thanks Pudsey, you too, PM’d you

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’m not sure what the salary is for a trainee, but if you are earning £30k or around that, then you should be able to afford a two bedroom property to rent zone 2/3 or beyond; if you know someone then you could pair up with them, or if not then sites like Spareroom.com would be best for that. This avoids the need to be in a potentially noisy/dirty houseshare or a HMO with lots of people which might be especially problematic if you’re working shifts.

If you moved somewhere further out, then I’m sure you could rent a one bed flat. As others have said, there’s a train that leaves Milton Keynes at 03.30 and goes to Euston; have a look where that stops and perhaps look at places along there. If you have no ties anywhere then I wouldn’t have thought it makes sense to move anywhere on the Thameslink or Great Northern routes, unless you particularly prefer it.

Swayed

I’m not sure what the salary is for a trainee, but if you are earning £30k or around that, then you should be able to afford a two bedroom property to rent zone 2/3 or beyond; if you know someone then you could pair up with them, or if not then sites like Spareroom.com would be best for that. This avoids the need to be in a potentially noisy/dirty houseshare or a HMO with lots of people which might be especially problematic if you’re working shifts.

If you moved somewhere further out, then I’m sure you could rent a one bed flat. As others have said, there’s a train that leaves Milton Keynes at 03.30 and goes to Euston; have a look where that stops and perhaps look at places along there. If you have no ties anywhere then I wouldn’t have thought it makes sense to move anywhere on the Thameslink or Great Northern routes, unless you particularly prefer it.

Hi Mojo, thanks for the reply. Yeah my salary will be £36-37k initially although I’ll still have a mortgage and bills to pay up in Glasgow as my partner can’t move down here due to work commitments.
I reckon I’ll have around £1500 a month to play with down here but obviously I don’t want to go mad so I’m just trying to be a bit cautious about it!

ZILLA

Perhaps they're waiting incase of a relocation disagreement before they call me. Looks doubtful though.

PudseyBearHST

Perhaps they're waiting incase of a relocation disagreement before they call me. Looks doubtful though.

Yes, perhaps. I would have thought though that as they have not rejected you, you must have at least passed all the OPC assessments (i.e. CBI) because otherwise they could not accept you no matter how good your DMI was.

amateur

On Moderation
West hampstead. Thameslink train to stp. Jubilee line AND overground. Can't go wrong!

RicharHA

Hi Swayed, I have also been offered this position at London Euston. I live near Peterborough, although had been thinking of temporarily moving a bit closer (maybe a house share or something similar)...

Let me know how you get on with your searching and where you end up!

Dot2018

OK now I'm just confused, how many people did they recruit? Sounds like Swayed, Pudsey and RicharHA all got a Euston role?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Do any of you have a generic email address for the recruitment team? I've applied for a non-driving role at Preston and I'm trying to email in for some more info on it!

Thanks,

Dot2018

Do any of you have a generic email address for the recruitment team? I've applied for a non-driving role at Preston and I'm trying to email in for some more info on it!

Thanks,
All we got were OPC emails so personally I don't sorry

PudseyBearHST

OK now I'm just confused, how many people did they recruit? Sounds like Swayed, Pudsey and RicharHA all got a Euston role?

Me too. First they said in the original job specification that there would only be 1 candidate per depot (3 in total). Then on the phone he confirmed there would be 2 candidates per depot (6 in total). So now I have no idea what is going on.

Swayed

Hi Swayed, I have also been offered this position at London Euston. I live near Peterborough, although had been thinking of temporarily moving a bit closer (maybe a house share or something similar)...

Let me know how you get on with your searching and where you end up!

Hi Richard,

Congratulations on the post! I’m probably going to definitely need to look at sharing as I’ll still be paying a mortgage in Glasgow too. I’ll PM you when I get in from work later and we could have a chat

Paddy67

On Moderation
Hi Mojo, thanks for the reply. Yeah my salary will be £36-37k initially although I’ll still have a mortgage and bills to pay up in Glasgow as my partner can’t move down here due to work commitments.
I reckon I’ll have around £1500 a month to play with down here but obviously I don’t want to go mad so I’m just trying to be a bit cautious about it!

Hi swayed

well done on getting the job! Did you phone back on Monday and decide to go for it if so North West London places Like Harlesden are worth a look at. Good tube and night buses and relatively cheap area.

if you don't mind me asking what is it you do for your current job?

PudseyBearHST

Ok there are 3 Apprentice drivers, 1 at each of the depots listed. And additionally, there are 3 trainee drivers all at London Euston.

Dot2018

Ok there are 3 Apprentice drivers, 1 at each of the depots listed. And additionally, there are 3 trainee drivers all at London Euston.
That makes a bit more sense now thanks for clearing that up. Guessing Euston needed a top up? :P

FManc

Has anyone got any advice/tips for the CBI? I've already passed the MMI but VTWC used the CBI instead.

Cyclist

Has anyone got any advice/tips for the CBI? I've already passed the MMI but VTWC used the CBI instead.
It is a fixed set of 5 questions. You can dig them up using the search function on these forums and simply prepare your answers as you did with MMI using the STAR format.

Mg3455

Hi FMac, have you got a CBI with VTWC coming up? If so, for what position?

Status
Not open for further replies.