• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining EMR HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
On the topic of last HST is there likely to be a farewell tour like with GWR?
Given the current circumstances it seems unlikely. Besides, it isn't as if they are the last HSTs in operation or, being imports from the East Coast, actually representative of the HSTs which operated on the MML for the last 30 years.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Given the current circumstances it seems unlikely. Besides, it isn't as if they are the last HSTs in operation or, being imports from the East Coast, actually representative of the HSTs which operated on the MML for the last 30 years.

EMR have suspended seat reservations at present - it surprises me slightly that they aren't applying reservations on the last HST runs to meet social distancing capacities (like GWR did for the final "normal" departures from Paddington, albeit before Covid was a thing)

I've also seen Facebook post (image pasted to Twitter) claiming that EMR are keeping an eye on enthusiast window hanging in the final days with an (apparent) threat to terminate HST operation early if it is seen to be going on.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I've also seen Facebook post (image pasted to Twitter) claiming that EMR are keeping an eye on enthusiast window hanging in the final days with an (apparent) threat to terminate HST operation early if it is seen to be going on.
It is an interesting question as to whether they would have the resources to actually terminate HST operation early if that became desirable. I guess the Leeds to Sheffield bits of the services could be cancelled and a slightly higher number of 222s sent out if it was only for a day or two. However, I guess it is more of a threat for the time being.

Another option (and perhaps easier) could be set swaps at Derby on the HST services with the HST going to Etches Park for the day and a 222 taking over most of the diagram.

However, it is highly speculative - perhaps best discussed if it actually happens.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It is an interesting question as to whether they would have the resources to actually terminate HST operation early if that became desirable. I guess the Leeds to Sheffield bits of the services could be cancelled and a slightly higher number of 222s sent out if it was only for a day or two. However, I guess it is more of a threat for the time being.

Being a Facebook post, I am treating it with a bit of a pinch of salt!

But yes, they could probably out an extra Meridian or two for a few days if they were serious about it.

superjohn

I travelled on the 1645 from Nottingham on Tuesday. There were regular announcements stating that the windows should remain closed unless the train was stopped.

Approximately twelve passengers in the rear first class coach, most of whom appeared to be enthusiasts out for the HST (43102+43274). The first class host said it was the most passengers she had served for a long time. I wasn’t expecting any freebies but we got hot drinks, water and a goodie bag with crisps and biscuits. My first class advance was only a couple of quid more than standard and proved to be a good deal, the EMR website said there was no onboard catering whatsoever when I booked.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I travelled on the 1645 from Nottingham on Tuesday. There were regular announcements stating that the windows should remain closed unless the train was stopped.

Approximately twelve passengers in the rear first class coach, most of whom appeared to be enthusiasts out for the HST (43102+43274). The first class host said it was the most passengers she had served for a long time. I wasn’t expecting any freebies but we got hot drinks, water and a goodie bag with crisps and biscuits. My first class advance was only a couple of quid more than standard and proved to be a good deal, the EMR website said there was no onboard catering whatsoever when I booked.
weekdays the free 1st class bags and basic drinks etc have just re-started.

Last sunday the "we have been instructed to terminate the train if people are hanging out of windows" or some similar phrase was regularly stated as part of the 'please keep the windows closed unless the train is at the platform' announcement by the Train Manager. Not unreasonable but a bit OTT I thought really, but no doubt they have carried out some risk based thinking on the last few weeks of services.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
weekdays the free 1st class bags and basic drinks etc have just re-started.

Last sunday the "we have been instructed to terminate the train if people are hanging out of windows" or some similar phrase was regularly stated as part of the 'please keep the windows closed unless the train is at the platform' announcement by the Train Manager. Not unreasonable but a bit OTT I thought really, but no doubt they have carried out some risk based thinking on the last few weeks of services.

Considering GTR were fined £1 million for the Balham incident, doesn’t seem remotely OTT to me, when these services are bound to attract a particular peak of enthusiasts over the next few weeks.

38Cto15E

I accept that window hanging on the EMR HST's is no longer acceptable in this day and age, however, the ban is very difficult to get used to when you have been doing it for over 60 years. :)

BRX

Established Member
Are they not even letting folk stand next to partially open windows, then?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Are they not even letting folk stand next to partially open windows, then?
They ask you not to if staff note it as they walk through. Some more 'assertively' than others....This has been the case for at least a year to 18 months plus I would say.

Considering GTR were fined £1 million for the Balham incident, doesn’t seem remotely OTT to me, when these services are bound to attract a particular peak of enthusiasts over the next few weeks.
Sorry, no - I didn't mean it was wrong to announce it - I meant it felt OTT to go beyond simply saying 'please keep the windows closed for safety reasons' and expecting people to simply respect what they were being asked to do. Those who will then disobey that, sadly, will almost certainly continue to disobey it IMHO.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Sorry, no - I didn't mean it was wrong to announce it - I meant it felt OTT to go beyond simply saying 'please keep the windows closed for safety reasons' and expecting people to simply respect what they were being asked to do. Those who will then disobey that, sadly, will almost certainly continue to disobey it IMHO.

Ah I see.

Sadly there'll be folk for whom a 'ban' makes them even more determined to do it...

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi - does anyone have the EMR HST times for this sunday? I can see 2 southbound services starting from Leeds, but have only noted 1 northbound service arriving back in Leeds. I suspect I'm just missing something....
Thanks in advance.

43 302

Established Member
Hi - does anyone have the EMR HST times for this sunday? I can see 2 southbound services starting from Leeds, but have only noted 1 northbound service arriving back in Leeds. I suspect I'm just missing something....
Thanks in advance.
1F63 and 1F74

Established Member
Thanks in advance.
As previously posted in this very thread...

For Sunday 25th April 2021

1050 LDS STP
2040 STP LDS

1434 LDS STP
1835 STP LDS

The_Train

Established Member
What is the current situation with the HST diagrams on weekends please?
I see that Saturday's seem to be sporadic at the moment - is this the same with Sunday's as well?

WesternLancer

Established Member
What is the current situation with the HST diagrams on weekends please?
I see that Saturday's seem to be sporadic at the moment - is this the same with Sunday's as well?
HSTs out this w/e sat and sunday
No HST's bank hol w/e it seems - 1- 3 May
HSTs seem to be out 8&9 may (but maybe only south of sheffield)

Uncertain as yet if they will run on sat 15 may which is last day of current timetable (and assume no HSTs on 16 May)

The_Train

Established Member
HSTs out this w/e sat and sunday
No HST's bank hol w/e it seems - 1- 3 May
HSTs seem to be out 8&9 may (but maybe only south of sheffield)

Uncertain as yet if they will run on sat 15 may which is last day of current timetable (and assume no HSTs on 16 May)
Thanks for that :)

The_Train

Established Member
Yes the passengers bits are correct (not sure if the ECS via Corby runs every day)
Great stuff :) thanks very much.

You wouldn't happen to know if the sets work the same diagrams every day or whether it is just decided on the day?

The_Train

Established Member
Yes the St Pancras - St Pancras ECS (5M17) does not run on Wednesday. Instead the set goes to Cricklewood.
Ah that's all good - was worried 43302 meant the passenger workings were different on a Wednesday. Thanks for confirming :)

Adam0984

Great stuff :) thanks very much.

You wouldn't happen to know if the sets work the same diagrams every day or whether it is just decided on the day?
At the moment they seem to run alternate at the moment one day the 0519 off Leeds the next day the 0634 off Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.