• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining Signal Boxes in Greater Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to photograph them all before they go, and I only have a 2013 edition Quail book for North West.

Here's my list so far:
Manchester Piccadilly PSB
Manchester South SCC (Located at Edgeley)
Manchester East SCC (Ditto)
Manchester North SCC (But possibly now migrated to Ashburys ROC?)
Heaton Norris
Stockport 1 & 2
Edgeley Junction 1 & 2
Hazel Grove
Baguley Fold Junction
Vitriol Works
Denton Junction
Deansgate Junction
Northenden Junction
Castleton East Junction
Rochdale West

Have I forgotten any?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If you're counting GM Ticketing area, Dinting.

Bromley Cross

I *thought* this was no longer required as the Train Describer issue between Manchester Piccadilly and Preston that required Bromley Cross to remain had been resolved? Might be mis-remembering.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Rochdale West was demolished to make way for the Metrolink line....?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Also, if you want to be really pedantic, Bury Bolton Street and Ramsbottom too :)

Geeves

Established Member
Manchester North is closed with panels removed the but the building still stands. Bromley Cross controls the pedestrian crossing, nice job!

I think there is one still on the Reddish S line, is it Ash Bridge Junction? Also Hale.

Leyland155

Diggle Junction SB on the Transpennine line is just within Greater Manchester I think.

I think there is one still on the Reddish S line, is it Ash Bridge Junction? Also Hale.

I think the one you're thinking of is Denton Junction which is on that line. Unless there's another I'm forgetting about! Hale closed many years ago, though the box itself still stands. The area is controlled by Deansgate Jn SB.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Diggle Junction SB on the Transpennine line is just within Greater Manchester I think.

I think the one you're thinking of is Denton Junction which is on that line. Unless there's another I'm forgetting about! Hale closed many years ago, though the box itself still stands. The area is controlled by Deansgate Jn SB.

I think your correct, Ash Bridge box went about 30 years ago. Romiley Junction box is still I think in situ, but no doubt OOU now.

Leyland155

I think your correct, Ash Bridge box went about 30 years ago. Romiley Junction box is still I think in situ, but no doubt OOU now.

Thanks for confirming that for me, given your username I definitely have no reason to doubt your knowledge on the subject! Yes I think you're right about Romiley, if I remember correctly control passed to Manchester East SCC a few years back.

Thanks all. I've added Eccles, Diggle Jn, Glazebrook E Jn, Wigan Wallgate and Astley to the list

Also the in situ OOU ones, Bromley Cross, Romiley Jn, Hale.

I might also get a few in the vicinity, ie, Furness Vale, New Mills x2, Chinley, Diniting, Mobberley etc
Just checking to make sure that Stalybridge and Ashton Moss Jn have been demolished?

davyp

Furness Vale, New Mills and Chinley are in Derbyshire and Mobberley is in Cheshire. Perhaps you need to widen your area of choice.

Geeves

Established Member
Thanks the updates on both Ash bridge and Hale, always learning! I can definitely confirm that Stalybridge and Ashton Moss are 100% gone.

Elecman

Established Member
Trying to photograph them all before they go, and I only have a 2013 edition Quail book for North West.

Here's my list so far:
Manchester Piccadilly PSB
Manchester South SCC (Located at Edgeley)
Manchester East SCC (Ditto)
Manchester North SCC (But possibly now migrated to Ashburys ROC?)
Heaton Norris
Stockport 1 & 2
Edgeley Junction 1 & 2
Hazel Grove
Baguley Fold Junction
Vitriol Works
Denton Junction
Deansgate Junction
Northenden Junction
Castleton East Junction
Rochdale West

Have I forgotten any?
You wont get a picture of Piccadilly PSB is it’s located in Manchester Piccadilly Tower Block. Also missing from your list is Manchester ROC

Status
Not open for further replies.