• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining Turntables on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Forgive me for going slightly off topic but are there any surviving traversers?

Derby and York works do, and Newton Aycliffe has a pair of new ones, oh and Ilford has new one too.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

45rpm

I have a funny feeling that there is (or was) a traverser at Carne Point,Fowey.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Forgive me for going slightly off topic but are there any surviving traversers?

Does the one at the "Steam" Museum at Swindon still work?

It was certainly there a couple of years ago, but I don't know whether it's restoration had included bringing it back to working order.

Ploughman

Established Member
This small traverser was in the old Wagon works at York in 2009.
Probably only used for moving wheelsets or bogies.
Not known if still in place.

Attachments

• York Wagon Works Traverser.jpg
    York Wagon Works Traverser.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 76

Skutter

This small traverser was in the old Wagon works at York in 2009.
Probably only used for moving wheelsets or bogies.
Not known if still in place.

Neat, I like the built-in capstan!

Which prompts me to ask - how many places still use capstans for shunting?

route:oxford

Established Member
Not sure if this counts, but there is a little wagon turntable at Granary Square (round the back of Kings X).

D6975

Established Member
There are (were?) 2 traversers at Crewe works, one outdoors and one inside the main building at the west end.

Harbornite

Established Member
I was also going to mention St Blazey and Aberdeen (which I only found out about recently). Old Oak common also retained a turntable but this has been removed.

BestWestern

Established Member
Does the one at the "Steam" Museum at Swindon still work?

It was certainly there a couple of years ago, but I don't know whether it's restoration had included bringing it back to working order.

I was there very recently and it certainly looks like it should work. It had a wagon sat on it, though the museum was closed so that may just have been for ornamental effect. The end of the museum shed which adjoins it has what look like operational roller doors, so I presume they may well use the traverser for rearranging the exhibits?

Taunton

Established Member
There were a surprising range of mechanisms for operating turntables, I wonder how many of these are left.

Simplest was a hand-push around. If it was well maintained and balanced, and the loco was equally well balanced on it, it was easier than you might think, though mainly confined to wagon turntables.

The GWR liked hand-powered tables with a winding crank, you could turn a tender loco in a couple of minutes by hand with these, a geared crank at one end, lots of winding by the crew (principally the fireman), and slow rotation of the table.

Next step up were vacuum-powered ones, run off the loco vacuum exhauster, coupled to the loco vacuum hose. they normally seemed to have large vacuum cylinders on the table as well. With the end of vacuum-braked locos presumably these are all gone from the main network. Were there ever any compressed air equivalents?

Electric motor turntables, I've never noticed one in Britain, although standard on the continent.

The turntable at Minehead was too small in diameter for the tender locos that eventually ran (infrequently) on the line, so an interesting challenge for those who don't know, how was the turning of such locos done (which it was).

lincolnshire

There were a surprising range of mechanisms for operating turntables, I wonder how many of these are left.

Simplest was a hand-push around. If it was well maintained and balanced, and the loco was equally well balanced on it, it was easier than you might think, though mainly confined to wagon turntables.

The GWR liked hand-powered tables with a winding crank, you could turn a tender loco in a couple of minutes by hand with these, a geared crank at one end, lots of winding by the crew (principally the fireman), and slow rotation of the table.

Next step up were vacuum-powered ones, run off the loco vacuum exhauster, coupled to the loco vacuum hose. they normally seemed to have large vacuum cylinders on the table as well. With the end of vacuum-braked locos presumably these are all gone from the main network. Were there ever any compressed air equivalents?

Electric motor turntables, I've never noticed one in Britain, although standard on the continent.

The turntable at Minehead was too small in diameter for the tender locos that eventually ran (infrequently) on the line, so an interesting challenge for those who don't know, how was the turning of such locos done (which it was).

Scarborough turntable has a small diesel engine driven hydraulic pump that drives a small hydraulic turning motor mounted on an additional wheel arrangement on one end of the turntable. A lever is depressed or raise to open the valve for direction after you have started the single cylinder diesel engine.

It also has a hand winding and chain drive arrangement after you had changed over the clutch arrangement.

Years ago Wrawby Junction had an 3 phase electric driven turntable it was located between the Lincoln line and Brigg line.

Hull Dairycoates last turntables was pushed by hand and so was Hull Botanic,s one as well.

dggar

Is that via Matlock? I can't remember any connection existing to the north of Rowsley, but it's many years since I was there.

Yes it is, and at present there isn't any connection existing to the north of Rowsley

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Do many of the remaining turntables get used to turn steam locos used for rail tours?

Status
Not open for further replies.