• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Renewing passport online

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattA7

Does anyone know what is involved If you renew your passport online. How does the photo get verified by the counter signatory/verifier? And don’t they usually ask for the old one back to cancel it?

Normally with a paper form there is a section for the counter signature/verification and you send the old one with your application.

Does anyone have any recent experience renewing online? Was it relatively hassle free?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what is involved If you renew your passport online. How does the photo get verified by the counter signatory/verifier? And don’t they usually ask for the old one back to cancel it?

Normally with a paper form there is a section for the counter signature/verification and you send the old one with your application.

Does anyone have any recent experience renewing online? Was it relatively hassle free?
I’ve had 6 passports now and only the first ever photo was countersigned/verified, I just checked their website and it still says that for adult renewals you won’t normally need verification as long as your new photo is recognisably the same person as the one on your current passport

However, if the photo does need verifying they will send an email version to the person you’ve nominated.

I don’t know about the details of sending in your current passport, but it still has to be done, I’m sure someone else will know..

Welshman

Established Member
My wife recently renewed her passport online.
The form needs careful attention, and it would be useful if they listed the information they need before you begin to complete it, as she found she couldn't save her work but had to begin again.
The biggest faff seemed to be going to an official centre for an approved photograph to be taken, and a reference number received, which she then simply quoted on her application, as they won't accept any old photo taken on your phone and uploaded. This meant a trip to Chester for her, but as this also allowed a bit of shopping and coffee-drinking, I don't think it was really such a great hardship.
The biggest surprise was when the new passport came within 2 weeks of her applying. It was delivered by a young man in a white, unmarked van, who didn't seem to have any other calls in the neighbourhood [goodness knows where he came from!]. He also made a second visit about a week later to return her old one.
So the moral seems to be - follow their rules to the letter, and the whole thing is remarkably quick and easy!

I have recently applied to replace a lost or stolen passport. I have applied online, paid the fee and then went through filling in the boxes. I took a passport-style selfie of myself against a plain background and uploaded it - it tells you if it's acceptable or not when you upload. I then had to provide an e-mail address and contact details for my nominated counter-signatory. The counter-signatory gets a log-in code e-mailed to them, they just have to tick a box declaring that the photo is the true likeness of myself along with their name, occupation and passport number. The passport office do the rest. It was so much easier than faffing around with paper forms (and cheaper too).

I've been waiting 6 weeks now and all it says is checking identity details. They are pretty swamped with applications at the minute but you do get text and e-mail alerts when it changes.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So the moral seems to be - follow their rules to the letter, and the whole thing is remarkably quick and easy!
Very happy for you, but have to say that is only your experience, whereas others I have heard of also did everything asked for and met only silence and prolonged delay. Like with letters that get dumped on top of a huge pile but get dealt with first you probably just struck lucky - someone has to, I suppose!

Snow1964

Established Member
I renewed mine few months ago.
Tried the submit your own photo, followed the rules to the letter, but got an email saying it was rejected.

Tried a photo place in a local supermarket, that does passport photos, they take it and give a code. Went through no trouble.

New passport only took about 2 weeks, seemed to be delivered by a courier in unmarked vehicle. My old passport was only returned about 3 weeks after got the new one.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
According to the .gov.uk website you only need to have a paper form countersigned to verify your photo and application if you are applying for a:

• first adult passport
  • first child passport
  • replacement for a lost, stolen or damaged passport
  • renewal of a passport for a child aged 11 or under
  • renewal of a passport if your appearance has changed and you cannot be recognised from your existing passport
So a standard adult renewal would not need countersigning.

MattA7

According to the .gov.uk website you only need to have a paper form countersigned to verify your photo and application if you are applying for a:

So a standard adult renewal would not need countersigning.

My last passport was issued back when I was 4 years old so my appearance has changed quite significantly. Strangely I believe it is considered a renewal as opposed to a first adult passport even though I have only had a child passport. It says the first adult passport application is for those who have never held a UK passport.

I renewed mine few months ago.
Tried the submit your own photo, followed the rules to the letter, but got an email saying it was rejected.

Tried a photo place in a local supermarket, that does passport photos, they take it and give a code. Went through no trouble.

New passport only took about 2 weeks, seemed to be delivered by a courier in unmarked vehicle. My old passport was only returned about 3 weeks after got the new one.
how do you send the old one away once you have applied. Do you need to print something off or do you just post it with a reference number or something? I don’t have a printer and don’t want to start a application and get stuck halfway through.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
how do you send the old one away once you have applied. Do you need to print something off or do you just post it with a reference number or something? I don’t have a printer and don’t want to start a application and get stuck halfway through.
You don't have to print off any labels as you have to arrange for your own postage to send it to their office.

HarryF

Slightly off-topic but still passport related, does anyone know what happens in a passport interview?
My younger bro needs to have one for his passport and he’s rather anxious what happens

bspahh

Established Member
I renewed my passport last month using the standard online service, with a photo from my mobile phone. I posted the old passport by Special Delivery and got the new one 16 days later.

https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/ is good for updated news on waiting times

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
I renewed an adult passport online with a link from a photo booth for the photo.

No hassle and I got the new one in FOUR DAYS. I didn't pay for fast service. I guess I was incredibly lucky.

McRhu

I've renewed mine online in June; took less than 4 weeks to come through. My son did the same and his took less than two. A very quick and easy process which took no more than 10 or 15 minutes. I used a photo booth for the passport pics and this was printed with a unique code. When I completed the online renewal I simply quoted the code and the passport office were able to link directly to the image with no need for me to scan or send it. No need for counter signing or any such mumbo jumbo. I did indeed need to enter some details from my old passport and then send it to them (I used Guaranteed Delivery). This was returned to me (with corner cut off) about a week after my new passport was delivered. I supplied my mobile number and email address during the application process and the Passport Office kept me updated as to the progress and delivery date. Very easy and hassle free in my experience.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'd advise going to a post office instead; they can do the whole process there for you now, including taking the photo and checking it on the spot - nothing at all for you to fill in, and I got my new passport six days later...

XAM2175

Established Member
Slightly off-topic but still passport related, does anyone know what happens in a passport interview?
My younger bro needs to have one for his passport and he’s rather anxious what happens

What happens at an interview​

At customer service centres, when a customer arrives for an interview their bags will be placed in a scanner and searched for safety reasons.

The interview will last approximately 30 minutes for an application from the UK and 60 minutes for an application from overseas. The customer service officer (CSO) who interviews the customer must:
  • compare the customer with the facial image shown on the passport issuing system (if the application is for an adult)
  • confirm their claimed relationship with the child (if the application is for a child resident overseas)
  • ask the customer a variety of questions to help confirm their identity
  • confirm the circumstances surrounding the lost or stolen passports (Passport Authentication Interviews known as PAI interviews)
  • ask the customer to sign their signature, on the signature form, to check for any fraud indicators and to compare with the signature on the passport issuing system (if the customer is an adult and there is a signature recorded)

johncrossley

Established Member
I'd advise going to a post office instead; they can do the whole process there for you now, including taking the photo and checking it on the spot - nothing at all for you to fill in, and I got my new passport six days later...

I intend to do it that way for my next renewal. However, it should be mentioned that there is £16 fee for this service. They also used to charge a similar fee for their old "check and send" service which I thought it was a bit of a rip off, but for this updated version I think it is worth the money.

Shrewbly

Well done to the above winners in the passport lottery! I sent off my on-line renewal in early June and I've still had nothing other than messages to say that they've approved my photo and received my old passport :(. (My wife sent hers in on the same day and got the new passport back in 14 days.)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I intend to do it that way for my next renewal. However, it should be mentioned that there is £16 fee for this service. They also used to charge a similar fee for their old "check and send" service which I thought it was a bit of a rip off, but for this updated version I think it is worth the money.
It most definitely is worth it - especially since you don't need to find a countersignatory.

AndrewE

Established Member
Mine came back in about 8 days around the beginning of this month.
The most difficult bit was getting their algorithm to accept the photo. We took dozens, all the ones I tried to upload said "Fail. This looks like black and white!"which of course it wasn't. Then got past that and it said " Doubtful. You are either not standing straight or looking straight at the camera."
I told it to go ahead anyway and typed in that it was a fair likeness, got an email back the next morning saying it was authorised.
I'm sure I have told this story on another similar thread recently.

johncrossley

Established Member
It most definitely is worth it - especially since you don't need to find a countersignatory.

You still need a countersignature for first passport or if you are replacing a lost passport, or have changed appearance significantly. Using the post office service doesn't affect the need to find a countersignatory, unless the post office staff personally knows you. You don't need a countersignature for most renewals, whether use the post office service or not.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also isn’t bad when you consider it includes Special Delivery which costs £6.35 / £6.85 (dependent on whether you pay online or in the post office) if you were going to pay for it anyway to send off your old documents as they recommend you do. The digital version also includes a photo service which again could easily cost £4 or more if you get it done in a booth or professionally as opposed to taking your own pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.