• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

request for something we ALL can enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tubenutter

you know what, I' bloody dam tired of having this stuff go on every time I post something like this. You bloody people won't have to worry about this **** cause I'm done with these boards. Go and pester someone else and don't ever expect content from me. I'm probably through with bloody BVE too. Goodbye, and good riddance.

Surely it's you pestering "us bloody people".

And also, if it's you leaving, isn't it us that are going to be rid of you, and therefore the term "good riddance" can only be used the other way round (ie from us to you).

Just a thought.

eezypeazy

Well Foxkid, I thought I'd give your Mallard a go...

Is it all your own work? If you've borrowed any elements from other people's work, it is a requirement to ask permission before making them available in downloads.

The cab would benefit from a higher resolution graphic; in BVE 4, it looks very pixellated, and not sharp.

It would also benefit from some working meters - speedo and brake are the normal minimum.

You might also wish to consider changing the viewpoint from the cab (I don't know how that's done...); at the moment, it's almost impossible to see signals as you approach them.

Also, I wouldn't expect a British train to have a standard American "board" announcement. And the steam cylinder sounds need some adjustment, too.

Kind regards

eezypeazy

foxkid

oops, didn't know that. This isn't a "official" mallard. It's just a beta. I've got no clue how to do animated stuff though.

David

Established Member
Give Foxkid some credit, he has had a go at creating it. Now can you follow Easypeazy's example and offer constructive criticism and/or advice please?

The Snap

Established Member
I think some peoples' attitudes in this thread stink - people on both sides of the argument. People are too aggressive, and should, as David says follow Eezypeazy's route of constructive criticism.

Perhaps some lockage of the thread...? :stop: ;)

Darandio

Established Member
Can this thread now devoted to following Foxkids Mallard progress rather than jumping all over him and calling him 'stupid' when there is no call for it?

Hi Foxkid

I have given your train a short run and I am quite impressed with your work... the chuff, runnning and whistle sounds really brought the steam loco to life! It looks very realistic when running it with a route set in the BR days.

However I agree with eezypeazy that the cab does look very pixelated with BVE 4 particularly with full screen mode. You should really try to obtain a picture in a higher resolution than the current one- it will definately look much better.

Regarding the cylinder chuff sounds, there seem to be a long delay between each chuff. In real life, each chuff is heard per revolution of the wheel so therefore the chuff is heard more often.

I may be wrong, but due to the nature of steam engines, I dont think you can change the viewpoint without making more transparent regions (which means some levers and guages will need to be erased). You can change the x,y location for the driver's seat, but this means that the whole train will be shifted to the right (more like placing the train on the adjacent track) which will make it seem unrealistic.

Thats my feedback for the Mallard. Hope you will take my suggestions on board.

mallardbve4be8.jpg

In case you dont play BVE4 (as the trains thats you showed last year were in BVE2), this is what the cab looks like with BVE 4- very pixellated.

Simon_G

I had a go with the train too and my impressions were pretty much the same as those eezypeazy and Emergency Brake have reported. BTW you *can* change the point of view in BVE2, but as well as looking at the xyz position of the driver, you'll need to modify the panel bitmap so that the spectacle is straight ahead and the driver can see out. There's a bit more flexibility in BVE4.

It might help you to look at how others have done steam in BVE. Offhand I can think of the following examples:

- Don Clarke's J36 for BVE2 at www.gotopcs.net

- leezer3 has a GWR King for BVE2 and a beta A3 for BVE4 at www.bvecornwall.co.uk

- BVECOLORADO has a US narrow gauge 2-6-0 (DLG70) for BVE4 hosted at www.train-sim.com which uses a modified OS_ATS plugin to do some clever steam simulation

- there were several excellent German steam locos for BVE4 by Martin Finken, but I don't know whether they're being hosted anywhere at the moment as Martin left BVE to get married :D. I believe at least one included the effect of the driver leaning out of the window using the panel scrolling possible in BVE4. Anyone know where they are?

You might also want to contact 'Casey jones' at the Trainsimcentral forums who is very interested in developing BVE steam and is working on a GWR Hall (linked from this thread).

Kris

foxkid, while I do understand you, you must realise that all you do is just request.

I gave you a very constructive comment about you trying to make your own, IMHO most steam trains sound the same (to me anyway) and the literature for the cabview is obviously available in books, or at the NRM.

Tom

I can't believe you said that! :tongue: They certainly do sound quite different. The Flying Scotsman for example has a strange kind of drumbeat (only way I can describe it when it is running around). American locos sound like *hit especially the whistles which are as loud as their owners.

Methinks Tom misses the sound of (you'll have to imagine this and make your own sound up) sssschhhhhhhhhhhhRMMMM.....RMMMMsssssssssschhhhhhh

The sound of a 5 pig with the motors in the middle :lol:

As opposed to an HST which is ARRRRRGGHHHHHsssssssssschhhhhhhhssssschhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssschhhhhhhhhhARRRRRGGGHH

S'alright I haven't gone crazy(er) just how would you define an engine sound in print?

T

Tom

Kettles will be kettles. ;)

5 pig with the motors is a good prospect though! :lol:

Kris

It does amaze me though - they had electrics at the turn of the last century ....... why go to all the mechanical and engineering trouble of making steam engines?

Established Member
you know what, I' bloody dam tired of having this stuff go on every time I post something like this. You bloody people won't have to worry about this **** cause I'm done with these boards. Go and pester someone else and don't ever expect content from me. I'm probably through with bloody BVE too. Goodbye, and good riddance.

Well that was pointless? Ive had the problam and overcome it to shut up!:evil4:

kettlefan

It does amaze me though - they had electrics at the turn of the last century ....... why go to all the mechanical and engineering trouble of making steam engines?

I spent all day cleaning one today. When i got home I reeked of Parrafin :(

I guess electric trains were still considered "new fangled" at the turn of the last century, whereas the steam loco "flails" was considered proven tech.

Tom B

Established Member

Probably because of the poor electricity supply at the time, best to stick with something 'known'. Plus I don't think they had proper OHLE until the 30s? So trains would have to use a 3rd rail system, which has drawbacks of speed, safety etc.

Also think about small branchlines - even now these are uneconomic to electrify so think of the 1900s when there were much more!

eezypeazy

Not quite true about OHLE - it was being used to power tramways experimentally from about 1884, and practically from about 1888. In the UK, a short colliery railway between Chopwell, Co Durham, and Whittonstall, Northumberland, used a European electric loco using OHLE at 1500v dc certainly by 1895.

You are quite right about reliability, though as this wikipedia article suggests.

Regards

eezypeazy

ChrisCooper

Established Member
In the UK, a big reason why Steam dominated the railways for as long as it did, and loads of steam locos were built after nationalisation in the 50s, was that we had lots of cheap coal, wheras oil for diesels had to be imported. It wasn't until the 60s when falling oil prices and rising coal prices caused the situation to switch.

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
Back to the subject of sounds for steamers.
All 2 cylinder and Stanier 4 cylinder locos have 4 exhaust beats per revolution of the wheels and all 3 cylinder locos have 6 exhaust beats per revolution of the wheels, due to the Walschaert valve arrangement. This is also true for the Gresley-designed A4 class, of which 4468 Mallard is part, which are 3 cylinder locos utilising Gresley-Holcroft valve gear and the quieter Kylchap double blastpipe, which can also be found on operational 71000 Duke of Gloucester.

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
Seeing as someone's already requested an LNER loco that NO ONE wants, let me request a PROPER loco that is quality traction and everyone wants. :p
This loco being the legendary LMS Stanier Princess Coronation 'Duchess' Class 8P 4-6-2 Biggest Engine In Britain Absolute Beast Of A Machine Bloody Brilliant Mainline Performer Royal Train Approved PRCLT Owned LMS Crimson Lake Etc Etc 6233 Duchess of Sutherland. :D

BTW, this post was intended as a joke, but if anyone could actually build this when time allows, that would be great! :p

So you see foxkid, that's how you request something using the ever popular tactic of annoyance (even if the members of here DO ignore me completely (you will die if this is true)) ;).

foxkid

Ok then. Oh, and no updates..I've been spending a bit of time on MSTS, sorry. Haven't had a go at the mallard again yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.