• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Requeststops 22 day UK Bash - GHU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

(Before you ask GHU means God Help us).

Weather in Scotland appalling, but I'm aiming firstly to clear Scotland's rail network that I have not covered so far over the next four days. Tiredness and other factors have meant that I am a few days behind but......... I have been using my phone to record notes, some photos for myself and when edited for yourselves.

The purpose of this trip is to try to clear as much of the UK rail network as I can that I have not covered before. It's not about train classes, pubs and food eaten etc, but about successes and frustrations on a planned journey made in Malaysia during my work breaks in October/November 2015 and that I am now hoping I will be able to complete. So far I am have completed the third day of my travels starting in Euston, to get to Glasgow for the start of my "epic" journey. So Here is the start of Day One from Euston to Alloa! Later a few added extra's and photo's and a few personalities I have met so far. I do have to say it has been mostly successful a start with some bonuses and a couple of minuses in spite of the dreadful weather. so here is the start of day One.

Day One Start

Having made my way from St. Pancras through the windy streets of London to a busy Sunday evening at Euston my first activity is to get my UK rail pass authorised by the staff at the ticket counter. No problem. No need to show ID, Passport, proof of residence in my home in Thailand. Then with a few hours to kill before the sleeper departed, I tried to find the entrance to the first class lounge. All I could find was a nasty set of stairs. No fun for the disabled, wheelchair users, those with a lot of baggage. Just about to give up and I asked one guy coming down stairs if there was a lift to the lounge. Yes, he told me, over the way by the entrance to platform (whatever). At platform (whatever) I could find no lift, no signage at all. Then walking back to the stairs I spotted a smallish Virgin line poster and the entrance by elevator to the lounge. Not recommended for the faint of heart. It’s small there and would be a struggle of any wheelchair user to get inside. The journey up and down is very slow. Then there is the extra struggle to enter the lounge itself. PUSH THE BUTTON TO ENTER says the sign. Then someone has handily written (It’s behind you) on the sign. Once you’ve entered, you are in for an even bigger shock. It’s like an Indian Airport First Class lounge. Dreadful furniture, in need of a good clean up, and re-decoration. What’s on offer as food and drink and it’s presentation is not even worth a mention. In fact it’s a disgrace to London, and Euston as a name as a major world terminus. I left as soon as I could figure out how to get out. I’m not surprised that there was only one customer sitting in there. OK It was a Sunday evening at about 8PM but hey that is no excuse for the state of the place or what is there as a “First Class lounge”.

So I hung around the station until about an hour before the departure of the Sleeper to Glasgow. I was in Carriage B and as my luck turned out I was at the front end of the train out in the open cold and slightly drizzly rain. The sleeper attendant was ready and welcoming. And within 5 minutes I was in the apartment with my baggage and took the opportunity to take a couple of photo’s. Back in the train, I opened my celebratory bottle of champers using the plastic cup so kindly supplied by the sleeper company. Having disposed of the fizzy alcoholic beverage, out came my earplugs and I settled down for hopefully a good nights kip. I could hear a few more passengers boarding and felt the train move out of the station and then oblivion hit me.
Next thing I knew was the attendant waking me up with my breakfast. Somehow they had changed from a pleasant blondish petite Scottish gal into a Black man. Now I know we are all supposed to take trans-genderisation as a done thing these days but that one surely takes the biscuit. (Laugh you pedantic fools)
As it turns out we were at Kilmarnock, stationary. I opened my mobile phone to my realtimetrains app and found we were on time, and actually passed through the Northampton loop which is one of my goals during this sojourn. Bonus Point No. 1! I had expected to be running through the GSW route so Bonus Point No. 2! The Realtime app makes a point of Lugton as a stop???? But nothing happened. The breakfast was really good. The Sleep was excellent, but the champers, the 2 day journey from Malaga to London (see another thread) could have been a factor to deep sleep.

Arrival in Glasgow Central on time. Disembarkation smooth, I dropped my luggage at the Left Luggage office as my hotel was not going to be ready for me until after midday, and took the bus using my Britrailpass to Queen Street to start my clearance (sorry Blindtraveller) of the ScotRail) system over the next 4 days by riding to Alloa and back. More later.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kristofferson

I do like a travelogue :) honestly an excellent read.

Euston is still a dump, although effort has been made recently to polish that particular stool...

I've heard it's difficult to get a good night's sleep on the sleeper, so I'm glad someone managed it!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That was a brilliant read and I look forward to the rest. Yep, and Euston is a dump!

Diplodicus

The last time I took the Aberdeen sleeper, the attendant asked me what time I'd like breakfast.

"What's our ETA at Aberdeen" I asked.

"Half past seven" said were Scots chappie.

"Then seven o'clock" will be fine" said I.

Sure enough, and after a terrible night's sleep, coffee arrived and I washed, shaved and dressed. Blearily, I stepped out into the corridor expecting to see The Granite City. Instead we dawdled through Arbroath???

Same wee Scots chappie answered my enquirues with the explanation that we were running 90 minutes late!

Requeststop

So here is the rest of Day one. Hope you find it interesting.

Day 1 Contd.

The Alloa Branch is one of those annoying lines that I have missed over the years. One of those Red lines connected to a sea of blue. My plan was to cover this line on my last day (Friday) and then head back down to Manchester which I’m doing as I type. I caught the 10:19 to Alloa and the service was reasonably full and got myself a window seat facing forward. I couldn’t help but notice that the station platform heading back to Queen Street at Bishopbriggs was really full of passengers and that the train arriving to take them to Glaasgow already had passengers standing. I had read in Modern Railways the previous evening the 40th anniversary article by Alan Williams in which he stated that way back when, there were far more carriages on services than today. Why is it then that TOC’s know the numbers they have to carry each day but insist on not putting on enough coaches for the passengers. We were slightly delayed at the “Larbert Traingle” to allow a Dunblane train ex Edinburgh to pass in front of us and that subsequently we were 4 minutes late at Stirling. We covered the line down to Alloa at a good lick and sure enough it decided to rain on arrival in the town. I made my way down the hill to the local superstore and withdrew some cash from the ATM. I Had forgotten that in Scotland they give out Scottish notes. Made a mental not to use them before I leave Scotland. I took a couple of photo’s in the rain of the station, train and lines ahead and behind, boarded the same train back for the good ride back to Queen street. Alloa line is now blue! Hooray.
From Queen Street I made my way back to Central, picked up my bags and checked in at the hotel. Glad to be settled for the next few days, I went over my schedule to see what lines I could cover to make the rest of the week somewhat easier, due to the inclement weather forecast. Another line that stood out like a sore thumb was the Kilmarnock – Troon line, so I went on line on my faithful computer and sorted out a decent ride to cover the line. So I took the Service from Central to Troon and then rode across to Kilmarnock and then back to Central.
The trains were
16:29 Glasgow Central to Troon
17:39 Troon to Kilmarnock
17:59 Kilmarnock to Glasgow Central
The weather had cleared up at Troon which was a good thing as I was able to walk around the station which in many ways was similar to my home station down at St. Erth. There was a glorious sunset out to see and Stephanie came out of the ticket office to take some photo’s. We had a lovely chat about the station, trains, Cornwall etc. Decent ride to Kilmarnock in the twilight, and then across the platform to catch the 17:59 return to Glasgow Central which was fairly full. I managed a good seat but we arrived late at Glasgow Central. Troon Kilmarnock yet another of my red lines cleared.
My next part of my plan was to cover Paisley Canal, but the late arrival at Central meant that I had just missed that train. Realtimetrains to the rescue and I was able to cross platforms rapidly and to cover the East Kilbride line back and forth, though not much time for photo’s and train numbers. Delays at Busby on the way to East Kilbride and then a further delay for a passing train at the Hairmyres loop. Then my first mistake. I had intended to cover the Neilston branch but ended up on a train to Newton (that damned letter N) Well I had caught the 19:20 service to Newton which was well packed to start with and we slowly made our way to Burnside when we went no further. The driver informed us that for congestion he had been informed he could not go any further and was to make his way back to Glasgow Central. OK I was a bit peed off that I didn’t make it to Newton and cover the full line, but that was as nothing to the folks, 8 or so who were told that they could use public buses to get to Newton. They were using the Help device at the station and really it was of no help to them at all. Apparently no buses at Burnside, It was cold and wet how do they get to their cars at Newton? The Driver and conductor honestly tried their best for them but the time came when they had to return with me and another passenger to Central. The people on the platform stuck, having been told that the next service should be OK. To which the answer from the stranded passengers was should or will? Actually I think they were fine as I caught the following train heading towards them not long after we left Burnside. Arrival back at Central on time and enough for me to have a pint of cider and a quick bite to eat before getting the 21:05 Cross Country Service to Edinburgh via the Edinburgh suburbs line and returning to Glasgow Queen Street on the 22:30. I have to say this, How can anyone stand a journey on those Cross Country trains. The constant throbbing deep rumbling sound from those diesel engines for a long journey would be enough to drive people demented, and I was in First Class. Dreadful. Anyhow I cleared another red line from my map and got back to my hotel by 11:30 PM with just enough time for a large Bacardi a quick check of my mail and then oblivion in bed until my alarm in the morning and day 2. I was indeed a happy man.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It sounds like day 1 went really well except being turned around at Burnside. As for the CX stuff, I fully agree with you and it's one of the classes of train that I will never travel on. I'm looking forward to the next days!

Requeststop

Day 2
Well I woke a happy man. I had broken the back of some of my planned rides to give me extra space and time for delays. The main plan was for me to complete all the Scottish lines possible. Today (Tuesday) the main trip would be the new Borders railways. Now it may come as a surprise that I had never done a complete ride from Glasgow to Edinburgh in all the times I had been to Scotland. Today I was to clear some of those red lines. My first ride of the day was from Glasgow Central to Paisley Canal. Another of my red lines to clear. I got to Central in time to catch the 09:12 to Paisley Canal and return on the 09:35 arriving back on time at 09:54 with time to spare to connect to Edinburgh on the 10:05 to Edinburgh via Shotts, a line I had wanted to cover for a very long time. I had a great view of the countryside. One of the things I have always liked about Glasgow is that within 10 minutes of leaving the city centre you are in the countryside. The weather was fairly clear in spite of the forecast of rain and wind, and announcements at Glasgow Central of delays etc. Arrival at Edinburgh slightly delayed by two minutes and we were taken to the far end of Platform 7 so that all the passengers had to walk from the train through the driving rain back toward shelter from the station canopy. Then there was a wander about to find Platform 3 for the Train to Tweedbank. The station signage not so decent. I can see what some people mean by Edinburgh not being a passenger friendly station. My luck was with me and I got a decent seat with a good window view of the scenery. The 11:25 left on time and I enjoyed to trip all the way down. I can see why the build was so costly just by looking at the fencing and trackside architecture down the line, but I was impressed by the line and would be in favour of extending down to Carlisle. The train was moderately full even in Late January. Arrival at Tweedbank on time, a quick run around the station to take a few photo’s and then back on the train back one stop to Galashields. I was following the advice on this site that there was not much to do in Tweedbank and more to do in Galashields, so I disembarked to have a look around and find a place for lunch. Now I know that there are some on this site and within this forum who think hanging around a place is a waste of time, but I disagree. I actually found a good pub with West Country (ie Somerset) cider and a decent steak and ale pie. (none of your Norfolk or Irish muck or flavoured cider for this Cornishman). After my meal just enough time for a wander around and to buy some local biscuits, and back to the bus station for a quick pee, and suddenly as I am crossing the road the 13:32 back to Edinburgh was running into the station. One of the carriages was locked off for some reason so only two carriages available for the public. No reason given. A smooth ride back to Edinburgh allowed an on time arrival at 14:32. Tweedbank now firmly Blue on my map. The next glaring omission was the Fife Circle. So I crossed to get the 14:40 around the circle getting back to Edinburgh at 16:42 a good two hour ride around Fife. For some reason though we stopped for 4 minutes just after we left Waverley. Why? A bonus in that there was a power supply so I could re-charge my phone. Good Signal all the way on my phone too, much to my surprise. More Blue on my map.

Next another of those glaring red lines. North Berwick. This was cleared to Blue by the 17:15 from Waverley and on the return all the way back on the North Berwick to Ayr service departing at 17:54 arriving at Glasgow Central at 19:54. That was enough for the day for me. Again I had cleared up parts of my map and I had a decent meal in the hotel and some drinks in my room and a check of my plans for the next two days and a fingers crossed for day three and four, as the weather forecast was very gloomy. At Glasgow Central I had heard that there were delays and cancellations on lines due to weather and I was hoping my luck would stay with me.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's not about train classes, pubs and food eaten etc, but about successes and frustrations on a planned journey made in Malaysia during my work breaks in October/November 2015 and that I am now hoping I will be able to complete.
That appeals greatly to me: It makes a refreshing change from the repetitive style often seen in this part of the forum of "Catch train number to station, catch train number to station" ad infinitum, which I nonetheless like to ramble through in order to find the pertinent sections of commentary concerning places, pints and pies that I can weigh in on. :)
I was following the advice on this site that there was not much to do in Tweedbank and more to do in Galashields, so I disembarked to have a look around and find a place for lunch. Now I know that there are some on this site and within this forum who think hanging around a place is a waste of time, but I disagree. I actually found a good pub with West Country (ie Somerset) cider and a decent steak and ale pie. (none of your Norfolk or Irish muck or flavoured cider for this Cornishman).
Not me; my favourite part of train travel, other than supping ale en route, is getting off at a promising destination for a look around after a relaxing journey. Doubly so if a steak and ale pie is involved. :)

I've never been to Galashiels; it's a diversion off the main road that we stick to up through Lauder; but it's a very pleasantly scenic stretch of country. I seem to recall stopping for chips once in Lauder, and very good they were too. One of my favourite sights in that area is the (disused) Leaderfoot Viaduct over the River Tweed east of Melrose.
I've heard it's difficult to get a good night's sleep on the sleeper, so I'm glad someone managed it!
Personally, I sleep fine as long as it's on long welded rail, although it is helpful if you can get a berth in the middle of the carriage and not over the bogies. The problems emerge when the bogies of the sleeper car begin to CRASH noisily into every sixty foot rail joint on the likes of the West Highland line from what I assume (It was too dark and I was too groggy to check) was Craigendoran Junction onwards at about 5am in the morning.

Copious amounts of whisky in the lounge car can help, too, although not so much with the unexpected 5am alarm call described above the following morning. :lol:

Last edited:

Requeststop

Hi Sprinterguy, thanks for the thumbs up about my reporting style, sounds like you are very much an independent traveller like myself.

I found this time that a decent half bottle of champers did the trick to Glasgow!

I'm just about to post my report on Day 3 so I hope you enjoy that too. Cheers!:)
Day 3 Wednesday

I was aiming to post this earlier as I travelled south but I think I posted day 2 twice, so here belatedly is day 3. Enjoy!

Today was the day I was aiming to clear all the south Glasgow Suburban lines. Having been pre-warned of disruption on certain lines to Dalmuir and to Cumbernauld especially I was ready to alter my plans accordingly. I had noticed that on day one, my return from Alloa had taken me through Cumbernauld and Stepps; another red line cleared and a bonus.
My first ride was to Whifflet. Good train but planned return train to Dalmuir cancelled as I had been warned due to “signalling problems”, so I waited for the next service to Motherwell. That service was running late. Then excellent news. I was able to get the 10:17 to Lanark and keep up my journey and clear lines yet again. Someone up there must like me. Power available for my phone too so I could keep up to date with realtimetrains. Then more luck. I was able to get a train to Newton (yes I was careful about the “N ” and again change my plans to get to Cumbernauld via Hamilton. This Wednesday God was indeed looking after the Cornish in Scotland. All I had to do was to return to Newton and continue my plans for the day. Again this was an advantage in making space for times, cancellations and acts of God against Cornishmen.
Ah! More luck! How long would this last for? I was able to get the 13:22 to Dalmuir. Yes that line that had been closed off to me because of “signalling problems” earlier in the morning. So I thought let’s get it cleared whilst I can. Of course I was thinking in the back of my mind that surely this luck wouldn’t last too long and that maybe I’d have to use my Friday morning to cover the remained of the my missed lines before heading down to Manchester. Anyhow more research showed that this service called at Hamilton Central and I could do a bounce up and down the line to Larkhall and re-connect to Dalmuir! So I invaded a local store to get a sandwich and a Coke Zero to consume on the Larkhall branch and to have a pee in the local toilets. The 14:17 to Larkhall on time and a rainy and windy journey down the line and back again. Took the train back to Newton (care with the “N” again) and then the line to Dalmuir. This was a change in my plans for the Cathcart Circle and Neilston line. So it was the 15:03 to Dalmuir, and the 15:53 back to Glasgow Central which as it turned out for day four was an advantage. The conductor on the return train was a friendly type who was intrigued by my all line Rover, and the fact that I am resident in Thailand and he gave me a badge, celebrating the start of the Tweedbank line.

A bit of a wait for my final journey of the day which was the 17:01 service to Carstairs which uses the Motherwell avoiding line. My God isn’t Carstairs a bleak and forbidding place. I was ever so pleased to see the 18:10 arriving at the station on time for the trip back to Glasgow Central and another early night at the hotel. One more day of travel around The north of Glasgow and a big end of day journey and fingers crossed, all passenger lines in Scotland covered. Too good to be true?? Find out about tomorrow (Thursday’s) rides.

Last edited:

PeterY

Established Member
I've enjoyed reading your blogs and looking forward to the next instalment.

It's one trip I wouldn't do in the winter months though.

Requeststop

Day 4 (Thursday)

Today’s the day I hope to complete all the rail lines in regular use in Scotland. If this day is successful then I will be mightily pleased. The day nearly got off to a disastrous start when I found I had overslept my alarm by nearly 45 minutes although it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I missed a couple of the early rides as I could complete them the next day before I travelled down to Manchester. As it turned out I was able to make it to Queen Street in plenty of time to get the 09:11 to Helensburgh Central. Again one of those annoying little Branches at the end of a covered line that needed to be cleared for ones satisfaction of seeing a bit of red changed to blue.
Actually this was part of the completion of the lines North of the Clyde. From Helensborough I went back to Dalreoch, up to Ballock and then back to Westerton and up the branch to Milngavie all without mishap, arriving there at 11:37. From there back to Anniesland to catch the 11:56 back to Queen Street to connect to the 12:31 ex Dalmuir (no problems there this day) to Springburn on it’s way to Cumbernauld. Good to be able to watch and take a few snaps of the reversal at Springburn. I took the 13:03 back to Queen Street, with the strange feeling that I was travelling in the wrong direction, but that is one of the strange things about the system at Springburn, you can arrive and depart to Queen Street in both directions. I wonder if there are other stations were this could happen. Arrival at Queen Street at 13:09 for the first of my journeys between Queen Street and Glasgow Central. The first was by 398 bus which is free on production of a valid ticket. My 22 day BritRailPass was fine. I just had a couple of lines to complete an the Cathcart Circle and to cover that accursed “N” for Neilston branch I had stupidly missed on day one.

So this time, carefully I checked the screen and found I was 30 minutes earlier than I expected and so caught the 13:35 to Neilston. Using my phone app for Realtimetrains, I was able to check my connections would work 30 minutes earlier and delighted to see that they would! Hurrah! So arrival at Neilston at 14:04, and although it was raining had time to photograph the station from the road bridge, and to witness the train reversing outside the station. Strange looks from the crew as I stood in the rain photographing the train standing in the platform, but I was a very happy chappie. The train returned towards Glasgow central on time at 14:30 and I got off at Cathcart. I just had that little bit of line out of Cathcart around Cathcart west junction to Langside to complete South of the Clyde. You can imagine my pleasure when I saw the Cathcart circle train arrive at 14:50, full of school children and travelling in the right direction. I had the biggest smile south of the Clyde. Back to Central station and to the bar for a celebratory fish and chips and a pint of West Country Cider. Yeah.

Enough time left for my final three trips to complete Scotland. I walked back to Queen Street. There were two gaps left in my map. Firstly the line from Winchburgh Jn to Dalmeny and the line from Ladybank to Perth that I was never really sure that I had ever covered. To be sure I had to do the line.
The first of these lines can only be covered either very early in the morning or in the evening. Well nothing but nothing was ever going to get me to Dalmeny in the early morning so the evening ride it had to be. As luck turns out the 17:33 ex Queen Street to Markinch connects well to the service from Edinburgh to Perth at 19:28. My first concern was that the 17:33 would run or that for some reason that God sometimes has a perverse sense of humour, it would be cancelled. Well sitting at Queen Street at rush hour is not for the feint–hearted. The number of times I saw trains depart and then back on the departure board as being delayed was nearly too much for this adventurer. Finally we made it and 3 minutes before departure we were told that the train would leave from Platform 3. At Platform 3 there was no train! Gods Humour no doubt! Then in trundled our service, and disgorged it’s passengers from who knows where and who really cares at this point. The piled onto the train and waited and we left about 12 minutes late. I was really glad to be on the move. This was one journey I really wanted to go right. In the dark we trundled through the Scottish countryside, with one passenger not caring really where he was until Linlithgow. Please let this train carry on forward he prayed silently, and yes it did. We crossed the mighty Forth Bridge over into Fife and he (I) was now down to one line to complete all of Scotland. Now there was one panic (or so I thought) was the train I was due to catch from Markinch to Perth behind us? A lack of signal on the phone brought terror to my heart and brain. Then as we approached the heart of modern civilisation known as Inverkeithing which has a connection for my mobile, I was able to find out that yes indeed, the Edinburgh-Perth service was behind us by some 8-10 minutes. Joy of Joys!

I think I was the only person who travelled all the way from Glasgow to Markinch, as I was the only person to get off the train there. A quick dash up the platform to take a phot of the train for posterity, and a wait with crossed fingers, toes and any other parts of my anatomy for the arrival of the 19:28 to Perth.

Well it was a few minutes late, but as far as I was concerned it was there to bring me to the complete coverage of all of the available Scottish rail system. I sat down in a comfortable seat, the conductor came along to check my ticket and I revealed to him that this journey was the completion of the Scotrail system. Just the 20:09 from Perth to Glasgow Queen Street was the journey on a line already completed to complete my day. From Stranraer to Thurso, Berwick to Mallaig, I’d have done it all. Earlier, I’d wondered if God had a sense of humour. Well he does. We came to a stop at a signal and waited 5 minutes. My friend the conductor came on over the speaker system. “There is a signalling problem and we will go forward a reduced speed to Hilton Junction in case of problems and from there will be able to carry on at normal speed. We carried on at reduced speed passing at least two green signals, (I was watching most intently) and as we approached Hilton Junction I saw a train stopped at the junction coming up from Dunblane. Thankfully we were allowed to pass onto the line to Perth before it, and my friend the conductor came to me and said we may just make the connection. Sadly, just after we passed Moncrieffe Tunnel I saw the 20:09 pass us the destination shining brightly on the rear of the train announcing Glasgow Queen Street. I swear I heard something heavenward laughing at me. Never mind. 70 minutes wait at Perth in the wind and cold in a Perspex glass waiting room on Platform one was no punishment for me. I had completed Scotland and I was happy. From Queen Street I walked back to my hotel all ready to pack, have a celebratory whisky, and drift off to sleep. No extra journeys to make to complete the red to Blue.

Finally, can I say this: It’s taken a few years to complete all the lines in and around Scotland. The last 3 trips to Scotland have been wonderful and I have met and spoken to some wonderful Scotrail staff, all of whom have been unfailingly friendly and helpful. So if you are Scotrail staff and are reading this, a huge THANK YOU to you all from a very satisfied Cornishman.

As I have just posted day 4 and you'd not have read it yet, I'll not spoil it! Winter does have its trials and tribulations, I'll agree.

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Great success! And a good read too :)

As we're discussing report styles, I try to balance mine between train geekery and "travelogue" (places, accommodation, food etc) to satisfy both tastes (with varying levels of success), but personally enjoy reading reports of both styles :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Congratulations at clearing all of the track in Scotland! Ouch with the 70 minute fester at Perth though. I'm really looking forward to the next bit.

Requeststop

Nice reports which Iv just copleted. The first 3 days of this plus your continental writeup kept me sain on the North ECML last night and am now envyous that youve finished Scotland! I just have Kyle left.

Kyle is a great ride my friend and thanks for your kind words and keeping your sanity. I hope you complete the nations rails soon. I'll be looking out for your reports.
Day 5 (Friday)

Turned up for the 10:22 to Carlisle only to be told after I’d walked down to First class at the front of the train that it was full, so dammit, I walked back to the first class lounge for some free coffee and oatmeal biscuits. No one to ask if I had a first class ticket or to check the others in the lounge. The lounge a damn sight much better than Euston but smaller. So 30 mins to go before departure on the 11:22 and I thought that I’d get my seat and my bags in the limited luggage space. One thing I am finding about long distance trains and those that serve resorts and airports, is that all TOC’s seem to think we all travel with little or no luggage. The above seat luggage space is again just too small for even medium sized bags that airlines in the main will accept. Does anyone agree? Why is it that a coach will have seating for say 50 or so people but luggage space for 6 or so? I did travel on Great Western when it was called First (huh) and at Paddington passengers were asked as they passed the rear wagon if they were travelling to Plymouth and would they like to store their luggage in the rear wagon. Good idea. What happened to it? So I took my seat in First class and stored my bags handily ond settled down for my daylight ride on the GSW. The coach was not so full and I was able to get out my computer and to type up the first of my reports of my Scotland trip.
So 11:22 to Carlisle on Virgin Trains. First Class. Salmon and Potato salad and Coffee and Walnut cake to eat and coffee. Kilmarnock at 11:59. Departure very swift. Friendly train crew to banter with and a decent ride down the GSW to Carlisle with arrival a couple of minutes late. I decided not to take the Virgin train town the West Coast line towards Wigan but to wait for the Trans Pennine run direct to Manchester Piccadilly rather than face a second change of train. Fortunately, there was not a difficult change of platform with my luggage and there was a café on platform 1 where I could get a heated sandwich and hot soup to warm me up. The 14:33 was waiting at the platform but the crew didn’t turn up to allow passengers on board until 8 minutes before departure. About 70 or so brave souls were waiting to board the train. By the time we had all struggled with our baggage in the limited space and settled down the train was on the move. The ride down was good, with regular on time stops. Again the Trolley Dolly of the male variety was friendly and chatty. At Preston the train really filled up with passengers. Many standing and first class was nearly full but an elderly male couple who got on the service in Carlisle both sat opposite each other in the aisle seats, greedily, and in First Class too. There is some mentality I see around that beggar’s belief at times but more of that as I continue my journey. Anticipating a bit of a struggle to get my luggage off the train At Oxford Road I sorted out my bags, and stood by the door ready to get off the train at Piccadilly. I had a long walk around the throngs on the Platform to the lift, and then the really useful travellator to the gates at the main platforms. A short walk to my hotel and a check of the times.

I had thought of a couple of quick local rides to clear a couple of red lines, but by the time I had unpacked and sorted out a few internet problems it was 5:30PM and I decided to walk down Piccadilly and do a little shopping and have myself a celebratory meal. Back at the hotel, the Internet was working again so I posted here, had a chat or two on the Skype with friends back in Thailand and in Cornwall, ironed a couple of shirts that really needed it and planned my next day’s rides with realtimetrains. A decent nightcap and a prayer for oblivion to come soon for some sleep and that guy up in the skies gave me a really bad night’s sleep, and before I knew it my alarm went at 7:30AM. Tired or not, time for more train rides, of which more later.
Day 6 (Saturday)

Well by now you’ll have guessed that I am a little bit crazy but I have this ticket for 22 days first class UK Rail Rover and I’m trying to cover as many of the lines available for me to clear from the red lines (uncovered) and turn them blue (covered) As many of you will know there are certain trips we can do on certain days and Saturday is one for a red scar on my map and that is of course Brigg. Added to that are the lines to Grimsby, Cleethorpes and Barton on Humber. So a bit of planning has gone by to cover these lines and a few others. So, after a bad night’s sleep in which I tossed and turned and cursed most the night I swear, my alarm went off and I prepared for the day and called for the room service to collect the laundry I had accumulated in Scotland. Crossed the road to Piccadilly, was able to collect the latest Modern Railways from WH Smargs, (other railway publications are also read by the author of this blog) and over to Platform 6 to await the 08:20 to Cleethorpes to trundle into the station from Manchester Airport. One the passengers had settled down we trundled out of Piccadilly and just left the platform when again we stopped. Then off again and soon I saw the Hat Museum Chimney that announce that indeed we were approaching Stockport 4 minutes late. A great start to the day curtsey of TPE.

We were still 4 mins late at Sheffield and by Doncaster we were 7 minutes late. Why can’t we be as efficient as the Swiss? We had a longer wait at Doncaster on Platform 4, and I noticed many people wandering around looking lost and noticed one man leaving the ladies toilets. More about Doncaster later. I also noticed an EMT 125 entering the station looking really rusty and dirty, both engines and coaches. Something never tolerated on the Great Western. In Cornwall we’d be really ashamed. Onwards towards Lincolnshire, and new territory for Requeststop. East of Scunthorpe there was a very strong smell of sulphur from the steel works area that even invaded the coach. I also noticed that the scenery was very varied from heavy industrial to rural.
My plans had called for me to have 3 hours in Grimsby after a swing up and down the line to Barton on Humber, but I thought how about going over the Humber to Hull and see if I could work out something different and do some other line coverage. Lincoln was ruled out because of time, so out came my TRACKatlas and I linked to Realtimetrains on my phone and came up with a compromise. Instead of returning to Grimbsy from Barton on Humber, I’d take the bus to Hull and then back track to Doncaster to cover the Gilberdyke to Doncaster line never covered before on my travels. Then a run to Barnetby to catch the ride of the day through Brigg. So after arrival at Cleethorpes, I took a few quick snaps and crossed over for the 10:55 Northern Rail single coach to Barton on Humber which really wasn’t so bad.

I noticed deer in a field near Stallingborough, though no trees nearby; I thought deer needed trees for shelter etc. I has a wonder as to the purpose of the station at Thornton Abbey as there only seemed to be one household nearby, and no passengers at all got on or off. Berney Arms came to mind, and I wondered as to passenger numbers. There was a llama farm at Oxmarsh crossing and I think a token was taken for the single track line towards Barton. A handful of travellers got on the train at New Holland making a total of 10 on the train for the ride to Barton. The weather at Barton was decidedly mixed. In 15 minutes whilst waiting for the bus to Hull I experienced sun, Wind, Rain, Sleet, Hail and Snow. Barton looked a decent sort of town and there were plenty of buses passing by the little bus station just outside the rail station but the shelter was inadequate and the pub over the road looked inviting if it not for the imminent arrival of the bus. The bus was a single decker (bus fans don’t ask, I have no idea) and on time and not so full. The journey over the Humber Bridge was comfortable, swift and on time with a number of stops. At Hull Interchange there were planty of shops and eateries. I picked up some cash from the ATM at the station and made my way to Platform six where the 12:57 to Sheffield was waiting to take me back to Doncaster. A good run to Brough and it was nice to see the semaphores and signal box just before Brough though I understand they are not in use anymore (sadly). So Gilberdyke to Doncaster to be added to the map in Blue colours. In Doncaster I had an hour to kill, (better than three in Grimsby) so I had a wander and window shop in the adjacent shopping mall, before catching the 14:37 towards Barnetby running about 7 minutes late for my ride of the day.
Arrival at Barnetby to be greeted by hail galore. Took a few photos including the service immediately following mine, and then happened upon a couple of freights in both directions. The Sheffield service via Brigg was a couple of minutes late and there was a further hold up for clearance for the Brigg line for what I could see was possible due to manually operated crossing gates.
At Barnetby 3 people caught the train, and two more at Brigg. Maybe 12 others on the train when I boarded. At Kirton Lindsay no one got on or off the train, and at Gainsborough Central one got on the train and ten disembarked. I had planned to take the service from Worksop to Nottingham, but the thought of 57 minutes wait there put me off so again, out came the TRACKatlas and my phone and I decided to continue to Sheffield and take the service to Huddersfield and return to Manchester via that route. I’d get back to Manchester about 2 hours early, but I was really feeling the cold weather (I am resident in Thailand folks and freezing is 30 degrees lower than my soft Cornish body is used to) so discretion being the better part of valour, I took the quick route home via Barnsley and Penistone. The Train really filled up at Meadowhall and there was a little amount of show over the higher elevations of the route, but we made it in time at Huddersfield to connect to the 18:56 back to Manchester Piccadilly. A little tired but a happyish man returns to his hotel room to have a good meal, to type up the days travels, to research tomorrows journeys, though sadly buses on the Blackburn-Clitheroe-Hellifield route (Sundays only) but hey, I have covered it before but only as a diversion and it would have been good to do it again. As to where I’m going tomorrow? Ah! Wait and see. Not as interesting as Saturdays I’m sure.

Hi PeterY. I was just reading through your comments again before I hit the sack, and the thought occurred to me that maybe during the winter months, in spite of difficulties it is possible that the TOC's try that little bit harder to get services running as well as they can. Ok, I did feel that there was a bit of a white lie in the Dalmuir/Cumbernauld problems on Monday through Wednesday and that signalling problems was not the real reason for the lack of Peak time services as other services were running to both destinations. Also the excuse given at Burnside as congestion further down the line to (careful with the N destination) Newton was not really one that could be proven by any passenger, but I do believe that the crews, signallers, trackside crews and management do try harder in wintertime to get the public from A-B as smoothly as possible.

It must be very hard to make a decision to say cancel services from Perth to Inverness in the late evening because of say, high winds, as those who make the decision will not be the ones facing the disappointment, angst, ire and anger of the travelling public, as they are not really the front line troops as it were, but will be the ones who would have to face the media scrum if they had decided to let the services go forward and there was an unfortunate incident.

As I said at the end of my report on Day 4 even after the final delay into Perth, everyone in Scotrail over the last few days up there, and during my time travelling the rail system in Scotland over the years have been unfailingly polite and professional.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Another two brilliant days! I would have gone for the VT (if it was a 390) south from Carlisle for better 1st class service but I see your reasons for not doing so, especially with baggage. What ticket are you on if you don't mind me asking? Aren't the only ALRs the 7 day and 14 day one, neither of which equal 22 (unless you have a 14 day and a 7 day and the last day is a positioning move).

Requeststop

Another two brilliant days! I would have gone for the VT (if it was a 390) south from Carlisle for better 1st class service but I see your reasons for not doing so, especially with baggage. What ticket are you on if you don't mind me asking? Aren't the only ALRs the 7 day and 14 day one, neither of which equal 22 (unless you have a 14 day and a 7 day and the last day is a positioning move).

I'm resident outside of the UK so I am entitled to those on offer through ACP rail. www.acprial.com. I have a Britrail consecutive pass valid for use for 6 months but limited for 22 days. Most officials just glance at the pass when I show them, one or two take a more detailed look. I carry my passport with my residence visa for Thailand and a set of unopened bills with my home address as proof of address, but in the 4 or 5 times I have used a Britrail pass I have only once been asked to show identification. Also, as I'm over 60, I get a cheaper rate as a "senior".

ACP Rail also have passes for all over the rest of the world, though I'm not sure if they do South America, though I have never looked.
Day 7 (Sunday Bloody Sunday)

Don’t ya just hate Sundays. Restricted services, Engineering works, Bus replacements, and some lines with no services at all. I had no real plans for the day at all. Just to do whatever lines I could. Buses on the Blackburn lines except to Colne and across the Pennines, so that put many of those lines out of consideration. There were a couple of outstanding lines towards Liverpool via Huyton so out came the computer to look at services for the day. So I joined the 08:59 to Liverpool Lime Street to cover that section of line and at Liverpool, I transferred to the 10:47 to Blackpool to cover the line via Huyton to Wigan North Western, travelling on towards Preston. Actually on arrival at Wigan, everyone got off the train and crossed the platform to catch the Virgin service to Preston at 11:38 which was almost empty. We arrived in Preston 2 mins early, and I checked out the departure board for services to Colne which told me and a few others who were with me to go to Platform 2! When we got to Platform 2 the board was telling us that the departure was on Platform 5, so wearily we trundled over the two semi bridges back to Platform 5. Waiting for us was the Northern Trains service to Colne, dead as a doornail. Sure enough two minutes before departure, the crew turned up fired up the train and opened the doors for we cold tired passengers to board the train. Departure to Colne on time at 12:07, one minute late.

To be honest I was not feeling very well and I was very tired. I bought some Extra Strong Peppermints that were settling my stomach and some water to sip. By the time we reached Blackburn I was feeling better but I was considering curtailing my days journeys. I was indeed winging it this day. The weather was poor, drizzle, gloom and low cloud and my mind wasn’t too much on the journey or scenery or passengers. Arrived at Colne and took a few photos before realising that I didn’t have 30 minutes waiting time and that the train had a quick turn back to Blackpool. Made it in time to travel back to Accrington, and was very satisfied that the two requeststops at Burnley Barracks and Hapton were used! At Accrington, feeling a touch better and took the 14:02 to Halifax. I caught a glimpse of the Todmorden curve and wondered about all the fuss it had caused in these forums and others, and I was impressed by the station at Hebden Bridge.Arrival at Halifax gave me enough time to take a few snaps, and to take the train to Huddersfield via Brighouse. Another line now covered.

I was wondering what to do at Huddersfield, but to be honest I was really tired and not feeling too good so I took the 15:01 back to Piccadilly on the 15:03. It was full even in First Class, though annoyingly again people had bags on seats next to them with others still standing in the first class area. Arrival back at Piccadilly nearly on time, and a quick visit to Boots to get something to make me feel better and to grab an hours or so’s sleep. I decided against any further rides today, and to relax and type up todays report and to update my map.

Tomorrow, I’m up early to do the longest days ride this trip. To where and when, and how it goes, read tomorrows report. Bye from wet Manchester.

Requeststop

Good luck for tomorrow Requeststop.
Thank you very much indeed.

Wouldn't you just know it! Just checking out the services this week from Llandudno Junction to Blanaeu Ffestiniog and it's bus replacements all week up till Saturday when I'm due to Leave Manchester <(<(<(! Hmmmmm going to have to have a look at a change of plan for that day!

richw

Veteran Member
Out of interest what documentation is needed to validate a pass?
I was reading the terms and it just says passport, but I don't understand how a passport proves residency to stop a UK resident using one, as you know many British passport holders reside overseas and are eligible.

Requeststop

Out of interest what documentation is needed to validate a pass?
I was reading the terms and it just says passport, but I don't understand how a passport proves residency to stop a UK resident using one, as you know many British passport holders reside overseas and are eligible.

Hi Richw. Well as far as I can tell from my experiences in validating the ticket, nothing needs to be presented except the ticket which in this case was stamped at the ticket office at Euston at the start of my first journey in the Caledonian sleeper. I have my passport and other evidence with me, and I do recall that I offered my passport as proof of identity but it wasn't taken.

I cary my passport and other documentation around with me but as I say, nothing is usually asked for by the inspectors at gates or on trains.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Another brill read! Shame you weren't feeling so great towards the end but that's Sunday on the rails for you!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've finally had time to read this trip report, and it's been an excellent read so far. I also enjoyed the one for the trip up from Malaga, that was a good insight into the Spain - UK journey and not one I'll be keen to replicate judging by the AVE experience. That said it appeals more than the sleeper between Spain and Paris!

As for your experience on the Cally Insomnie, you fared better than I did last time. Granted, I'm usually on the seats for cost reasons. Not that I'm in a rush to do overnight trains again, it's not an enjoyable experience for me. Sleep is not exactly easy to get on the seats, although I seem to remember an ALR journey on one where 3 cans of Murphys helped a lot!

You've certainly done well on your trip so far, despite illness on the Sunday. Congratulations on clearing Scotland, I achieved that for the second time in September 2015 following the Borders Railway opening.

I look forward to the rest of your trip report, despite being the sort of writer who goes into rather heavy detail in his own trip reports!

I need to ask, which cider did you have?

Requeststop

I've finally had time to read this trip report, and it's been an excellent read so far. I also enjoyed the one for the trip up from Malaga, that was a good insight into the Spain - UK journey and not one I'll be keen to replicate judging by the AVE experience. That said it appeals more than the sleeper between Spain and Paris!

As for your experience on the Cally Insomnie, you fared better than I did last time. Granted, I'm usually on the seats for cost reasons. Not that I'm in a rush to do overnight trains again, it's not an enjoyable experience for me. Sleep is not exactly easy to get on the seats, although I seem to remember an ALR journey on one where 3 cans of Murphys helped a lot!

You've certainly done well on your trip so far, despite illness on the Sunday. Congratulations on clearing Scotland, I achieved that for the second time in September 2015 following the Borders Railway opening.

I look forward to the rest of your trip report, despite being the sort of writer who goes into rather heavy detail in his own trip reports!

I need to ask, which cider did you have?

My favourite Cider if mass produced is Blackthorn. That's what I had. I really love if I can find it, Cider from the Cornwall Cider Company it's the closest decent Cider Company I know, to home in West Cornwall.

Day 8 Bloody Monday!
Todays Horoscope in the Metro newspaper I found on the first train I travelled on today for my sign said: Although you may have done everything possible to make sure your work is as thorough as it can be, your energies may be scattered by unexpected glitches. Bearing this in mind, it may not be best to wrap up the project yet!

Well I'm not writing the days report now. I'm too tired and I have another early start tomorrow. All I'll say is this bearing in mind that horoscope: ATW and EMT are not my favourite train companies right now. <(

Reports tomorrow.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh Blackthorn, nice. It is hard to come across, even in Cider Country (ie, Herefordshire) apart from in 4-can multipacks and 2 litre bottles. Once it was possible to buy a 15 can box for only £10 at work, an absolute bargain. Shame it didn't last though!

sprinterguy

Established Member
My favourite Cider if mass produced is Blackthorn.
Good grief, there's someone who actually likes that stuff? :shock:
Ooh Blackthorn, nice. It is hard to come across, even in Cider Country (ie, Herefordshire) apart from in 4-can multipacks and 2 litre bottles.
My local (Birmingham) metal bar has it on tap, though I really wish they didn't - I'd much rather a Thatchers Gold or Stowford Press, as per 'Spoons, myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.