• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Reservation not possible'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff_K

Just booked a Super Off Peak Return from London to Derby. I was able to get a seat reservation for the 12-02 from St Pancras on Friday 3rd September, but the return journey, leaving Derby at 1-25 on Sunday 5th September, had 'Reservation not possible'.

Just wondering why this is, and if no one on the train will have a reserved seat, so plenty of choice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geoff_K

That weekend isn’t open for reservations yet. Give it a few weeks.
I got a reservation for the Saturday okay, so why not the Sunday? Does it count as part of the following week?

I would like to get a reservation for the return on Sunday, but how can I do that if I've collected my tickets?

Nova1

I got a reservation for the Saturday okay, so why not the Sunday? Does it count as part of the following week?

I would like to get a reservation for the return on Sunday, but how can I do that if I've collected my tickets?
Visit a ticket office or ask the TOC on twitter

DanNCL

Established Member

It may be that all reservable seats on the Sunday have gone, but more likely they won’t have opened yet. Fairly often reservations for Sundays (and bank holidays) will open after the reservations for the surrounding days open, usually because Network Rail haven’t finalised the timetable.

On EMR a reservation can be made by contacting them on Twitter, or at any ticket office.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

You said you were travelling outbound on the Friday? Check the booking horizons page: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/44703.aspx

and you'll see they're reporting that for EMR, Monday to Friday is open until 24 Sept, but Saturdays and Sundays only until 22 August.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Reservation horizons for weekends are usually different (shorter) because engineering work tends to be done on weekends. You don't want to start offering reservations for trains until your sure exactly when the train is going to run.

Geoff_K

Thanks for the info everybody. I'll keep a eye on that webpage and pop down to Crayford ticket office when the Sunday is available to book.

zwk500

Veteran Member

Timetable weeks start on Sunday, yes. It's the same reason the Timetable changes in December and May take place on a sunday.

Geoff_K

Have EMR gone back to issuing actual seat reservations rather than counted place ones?
Just got my seat reservation for the return journey(Derby to London St Pancras) on Sunday 5th September, and this one is a counted places reservation, whereas the outward journey on Friday 3rd September has a specific seat reserved.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's tiresome that they've gone back to reservations. Doubtless they'll be churning them out to AP passengers whether they want a reservation or not.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm not sure. Would most people bother with one if it wasn't given out anyway.

I would expect a significant number of complaints along the lines of "I bought a ticket valid only on this train, and yet I had to stand, why didn't they reserve me a seat as they knew I'd be on it", yes.

I used to think a bit like you because I'd typically not like the allocated seat, but now we have seat selection (Trainsplit does it for all TOCs). I've booked two Avanti journeys for the weekend, both in my favourite of coach A seat 45. Why would I not want to ensure my favourite seat or type of seat, with no stress compared to trying to get to it first?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would expect a significant number of complaints along the lines of "I bought a ticket valid only on this train, and yet I had to stand, why didn't they reserve me a seat as they knew I'd be on it", yes.

I used to think a bit like you because I'd typically not like the allocated seat, but now we have seat selection (Trainsplit does it for all TOCs). I've booked two Avanti journeys for the weekend, both in my favourite of coach A seat 45. Why would I not want to ensure my favourite seat or type of seat, with no stress compared to trying to get to it first?

Maybe, but how many people would bother with a reservation if it was available for free on request.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Maybe, but how many people would bother with a reservation if it was available for free on request.

On an Advance I think most would.

If chargeable possibly not, but that might be that Advance purchasers are price sensitive so the saving may be more important than the comfort (see also the carrier bag charge).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Thanks @Cowley.

Thought I'd report that with a partial resumption of work travel I've tried to book EMR travel from Nottingham to both London and Manchester in the last few days, less than a week ahead so it's unlikely to be too early for reservations to be opened. All options showed "limited availability" on both EMR and our travel agency portal and those that I took closer to booking only offered *** counted places rather than actual reservations.

Has anyone else had similar recent experience, or can shed any light on why this should be or how long it might continue?

With the stories in other threads about overcrowding I had to think several times before booking EMR at all for a longish journey, and ended up booking with LNER for the London trip (then couldn't go due to weather disruption). Counted places are effectively useless for the traveller unless the operator prevents anyone without a reservation from boarding, and I don't believe EMR are doing that. Even if I knew there was a seat available somewhere, hunting through the reservations to find it is very tedious, and verging on the impossible on a 222 where you have to read the little display above each seat.

If this is going to continue it will really put me off travelling, as I've always been able to point out that it's not dead time if I can get the laptop out and do some work. But for that to happen I have to have one of the rare table seats.

robbeech

Established Member
EMR Told me on Monday that they are not doing reservations on the Norwich to Liverpool route (which includes Nottingham to Manchester) currently. There was no indication when (or if) these would return.

The data shows "Reservations available" for these trains so i assume by "no reservations" they mean it is counted place.

Can't help much on the London route i'm afraid. All i know is through the height of the pandemic they had removed all seat reservations operator wide and as recently as January this year i was given a counted place on a Sheffield to London service so it is possible this is still the case.

Class800

Established Member
I have something that might be relevant - work have booked me a trip from Exeter to Cardiff in early April, and the 07.27 XC service had no seat reservation Exeter to Bristol Parkway, whereas the evening XC train back home did

Status
Not open for further replies.