• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revised relaunch of 'Project Rio' - could it work?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Topological

Is the answer to start at Euston so people can go to the Charles I then turn right at Bletchley to serve Universal Studios before going into Bedford and then up the MML to Dore South?

Avoids the problem of Thameslink limiting paths as well.

On Moderation
Is the answer to start at Euston so people can go to the Charles I then turn right at Bletchley to serve Universal Studios before going into Bedford and then up the MML to Dore South?

Avoids the problem of Thameslink limiting paths as well.
The answer is not to run it!

Topological

The answer is not to run it!
That is no fun though :)

I am now thinking that given the likely patronage, a couple of 150s can run it. They can use ex-TfW ones so that there are tables. Might even be tempted to give it a go in case I forget what it was like taking a 150 for 4 hours on the Marches.

Trackman

Established Member
I travelled on Project Rio loads of times, the reason I wouldn't bring it back, apart from the journey time - because it was so boring. But that's my perspective. You would think after spending decades travelling on the WCML I would be bored with it, far from it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I travelled on Project Rio loads of times, the reason I wouldn't bring it back, apart from the journey time - because it was so boring. But that's my perspective. You would think after spending decades travelling on the WCML I would be bored with it, far from it.

I've said it many times before - the WCML is in my view the most interesting of the mainlines to the north. The ECML doesn't get interesting until Durham, while the MML doesn't get interesting at all, really.

RT4038

Established Member
I've said it many times before - the WCML is in my view the most interesting of the mainlines to the north. The ECML doesn't get interesting until Durham, while the MML doesn't get interesting at all, really.
The other side of Shipley?

6Gman

Established Member
However, EMR are charging broadly consistent fares between Sheffield and London to those charged by Avanti for Manchester to London, so why would EMR offer a cheaper way to get from Manchester to London?

The premise of the original poster is therefore false.
Quite so.

When long, well-filled trains with steep fares require subsidy it's hard to see the commercial case for short, half-empty trains with low fares . . .

Grecian 1998

I've always found Derby - Sheffield to be very scenic - hilly country, some fine stone architecture in the surrounding towns and villages, the Chesterfield crooked spire and the ornate northern portals to the tunnels (just the northern portals for some reason). Further south I concede there isn't a lot to see.

The start of the ECML from Kings Cross as far as (but obviously excluding) Stevenage is also quite interesting - the numerous tunnels with varying styles - 2+2 , 1+2+1 or 2+1+1 - Welwyn Viaduct and Hitchin flyover. However I concede from that point and particularly from Huntingdon there isn't much to see. Still, it wouldn't be easy to run 125mph trains through hilly terrain.

Back OT, I concur this seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

ShadowKnight

I think EMR would take the place as the third operator/second route from London to Manchester/Leeds etc. Like Chiltern does between London, Birmingham/Oxford sort of complementing and competing with both the express and commuter services.

I think it is pretty reasonable as it would more be having intercity stock (of whatever kind) complement the EMR regional core and add connectivity to the admittedly diddy trains that run the regional routes.

Like in the summer there is often intercity stock on the east midlands - Skegness services for a reason

MCR247

Established Member
I think EMR would take the place as the third operator/second route from London to Manchester/Leeds etc. Like Chiltern does between London, Birmingham/Oxford sort of complementing and competing with both the express and commuter services.

I think it is pretty reasonable as it would more be having intercity stock (of whatever kind) complement the EMR regional core and add connectivity to the admittedly diddy trains that run the regional routes.

Like in the summer there is often intercity stock on the east midlands - Skegness services for a reason
That would be great if EMR Intercity had spare the capacity, but it doesn’t

duffield

Established Member

Not anymore there isn't, since the HSTs and then the 180s departed. If you're lucky you might get to cram on a 2x2 coach 158 or some 170 combo, if not you're on the overflow bus.

Other EMR seasonal and extension services (Leeds, York, Scarborough) ... all gone as well.

317 forever

Established Member
Maybe 1 London St Pancras - Sheffield service per hour could be extended to Manchester Piccadilly, stopping at Stockport.

The TPE Cleethorpes - Liverpool Lime Street service could be rerouted via Brinnington and replace the Northern Sheffield - Brinnington - Manchester Piccadilly shuttle.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Maybe 1 London St Pancras - Sheffield service per hour could be extended to Manchester Piccadilly, stopping at Stockport.
Why?

The TPE Cleethorpes - Liverpool Lime Street service could be rerouted via Brinnington and replace the Northern Sheffield - Brinnington - Manchester Piccadilly shuttle.
Have you considered the journey times for through passengers, and the practicality of that crossing the entire track formation at Piccadilly?

A S Leib

So Doncaster, Grimsby and Cleethorpes should have to deal with 20+ minute longer journey times for Manchester so that passengers from Derby don't need to get one of the 3 / 4 tph to Sheffield?