• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Richard's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Money- I staggered paying for it out a fair bit. Time- Believe it or not, today is the first day of my Semester 2 :lol:

Student grants sadly don't exist for us anymore- though I did manage to get myself a Scholarship of £1,200/yr that primarily paid for the Interrail and will pay for the next when I get the next installment :lol:

Alright for some! I didn't get a scholarship and I get the bare minimum maintenance loan, which didn't cover my accomodation installment for this term.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Alright for some! I didn't get a scholarship and I get the bare minimum maintenance loan, which didn't cover my accomodation installment for this term.

Oh trust me my actual loan covers only accomodation.

Scholarship was awarded based on overcoming of adverse circumstances- my Dad had cancer during my A2 studies and I managed to let it have negligible effect on my grades hence the award of that. Thankfully he's recovered and has the all clear now.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Oh trust me my actual loan covers only accomodation.

Scholarship was awarded based on overcoming of adverse circumstances- my Dad had cancer during my A2 studies and I managed to let it have negligible effect on my grades hence the award of that. Thankfully he's recovered and has the all clear now.

I see, sorry to hear about your Dad.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've finally read this, and wow that was an action packed day! I really should have had my Euro atlas out to follow that properly, but I got the general gist.

Lindau does indeed look a lovely place, fair play! The loco haulage sounds like fun too, and I am a wee bit jealous of that. Winner plane that would have been for me too, quite frankly if it wasn't so cold at the moment I'd be off today to Marston Green for a major planespotting session!

Munich appears to be a nice place too, although that doesn't surprise me somehow. I've also got big plans this year, as I go to Canada in May!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Toronto and hopefully Niagra Falls too! Maybe even a quick visit to Montreal if I'm lucky!
Yes, Toronto! Good on you! :p(Beats Vancouver anyday IMO) I’m sure you will like Niagara Falls too. Montreal is nice but you might want to take a French dictionary.

I can’t wait to hear your report on that, man. Hope you have an awesome time. :) Just don’t fly WestJet if you want to get there alive ;)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Mr @rg177 wow what awesome reports! I wish I could do an InterRail, a first class one is most definitely on my agenda for the future in a couple of years or so!

My favourite country in Europe is Switzerland so I’d probably spend a lot of time there, along with France as I am obsessed with TGVs. But then I’d also want to bash Le Frecce and Italo in Italy, AVE and Alvia in Spain and obviously the ICE in Germany! I’d love the freedom! :)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Mr @rg177 wow what awesome reports! I wish I could do an InterRail, a first class one is most definitely on my agenda for the future in a couple of years or so!

My favourite country in Europe is Switzerland so I’d probably spend a lot of time there, along with France as I am obsessed with TGVs. But then I’d also want to bash Le Frecce and Italo in Italy, AVE and Alvia in Spain and obviously the ICE in Germany! I’d love the freedom! :)

Switzerland is coming up in April (mainly between Geneva and Lucerne, plus points in between- I fly into Basel/Mulhouse/Freiburg Airport) and then again in July on a First Class Interrail to travel on the Bernina Express en route from Oslo to Madrid. (I could not do 22 days in Standard!).

I'd recommend a visit to the Netherlands especially if you do First Class- no faffing about with complimentary items but clean, proper compartments and spotless floors comnbined with very very friendly and knowledgeable staff at all levels make for a surprisingly relaxing journey.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Switzerland is coming up in April (mainly between Geneva and Lucerne, plus points in between- I fly into Basel/Mulhouse/Freiburg Airport) and then again in July on a First Class Interrail to travel on the Bernina Express en route from Oslo to Madrid. (I could not do 22 days in Standard!).

I'd recommend a visit to the Netherlands especially if you do First Class- no faffing about with complimentary items but clean, proper compartments and spotless floors comnbined with very very friendly and knowledgeable staff at all levels make for a surprisingly relaxing journey.

Sounds awesome!

I would say Austria's the best for First, really comfortable seats in compartments (RJ business class), and probably some of the best Scenery in Europe!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ahem, what about NYC?!

rg177, the Bernina Express? Oh you are going to love that. I did it from Chur to Tirano and it's my most favourite journey in the world so far. A bit controversial no doubt, but even the WHL doesn't beat it for me!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I can name plenty of US cities that are better than Montreal. With just the ones I've been to: Seattle, Spokane and Tacoma all rate higher. I have differing opinions on Canada to you. With my trip back in 2014 we used an RV to travel from Vancouver right across British Columbia, Alberta and the majority of Saskatchewan (to Saskatoon) before taking it back through Saskatchewan and some of Alberta. Then down into the States traveling through Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington to get to Seattle and then up to Vancouver (BC). In BC you had plenty of pleasant people and places, the same with Alberta but there was a massive change entering Saskatchewan. People would look you up and down in gas stations (Mankota, looking at you) and supermarkets. People in coffee shops would simply be rude too (with both supermarket and coffee shop I'm taking about the true dump that is Assinaboia; all the town was missing was some tumbleweed blowing down the road). Saskatoon is up there with my least favourite cities and there was only one thing that redeemed Saskatchewan for me: Maple Creek (an excellent place on the border with Alberta) had really lovely people and was a charming place all round. Comparing Canada to the States though I'd say that the States out ranks the vast majority of the places we were at in Canada for most things. A few of the towns towards the border were quite run down but once you got into the thick of it (around Glacier National Park) it became second to none. It definitely isn't without its flaws but the people were much nicer than in Canada as were a lot of the places (obviously there are exceptions) although that's the only bit of the states I've explored so it may well be different elsewhere.

Sorry Richard for hi-jacking your thread :oops:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I can name plenty of US cities that are better than Montreal. With just the ones I've been to: Seattle, Spokane and Tacoma all rate higher. I have differing opinions on Canada to you. With my trip back in 2014 we used an RV to travel from Vancouver right across British Columbia, Alberta and the majority of Saskatchewan (to Saskatoon) before taking it back through Saskatchewan and some of Alberta. Then down into the States traveling through Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington to get to Seattle and then up to Vancouver (BC). In BC you had plenty of pleasant people and places, the same with Alberta but there was a massive change entering Saskatchewan. People would look you up and down in gas stations (Mankota, looking at you) and supermarkets. People in coffee shops would simply be rude too (with both supermarket and coffee shop I'm taking about the true dump that is Assinaboia; all the town was missing was some tumbleweed blowing down the road). Saskatoon is up there with my least favourite cities and there was only one thing that redeemed Saskatchewan for me: Maple Creek (an excellent place on the border with Alberta) had really lovely people and was a charming place all round. Comparing Canada to the States though I'd say that the States out ranks the vast majority of the places we were at in Canada for most things. A few of the towns towards the border were quite run down but once you got into the thick of it (around Glacier National Park) it became second to none. It definitely isn't without its flaws but the people were much nicer than in Canada as were a lot of the places (obviously there are exceptions) although that's the only bit of the states I've explored so it may well be different elsewhere.

Sorry Richard for hi-jacking your thread :oops:
Hmm. Some interesting perceptions there...

Well actually if we’re talking West Canada that’s probably why you didn’t like it ha ha.

Hopefully you will prefer Toronto. I definitely do. :P

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A bit late to the party Richard but I loved reading about your trip to Germany. The old 218 looked amazing.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Anybody fancy a Swiss Report? Just returned from what I can deem to be an absolutely gorgeous country with some fascinating little railways to boot.

Route was as follows:

-Basel/Bale local lines, Basel/Bale-Liestal-Waldenburg and return.
-Basel/Bale-Zurich-Konstanz-Romanshorn-Rorschach (two rack railways)- Sargans-Thalwill-Baar-Zug-Luzern/Lucerne-Meggen-Luzern/Lucerne-Engelberg-Luzern/Lucerne-Schwyz-Luzern/Lucerne
-Luzern/Lucerne-Olten-Bern-Visp-Montreux-Chernex-Montreux-Lausanne (Flon)-Cheseux-Flon-Lausanne-Puidoux-Vevey (Funicular Railway)-Nyon-L'Asse-Nyon-Geneva Airport-Geneva-La Plaine-Geneva-Coppet-Lausanne-Yverdon-Morges-Renens-Lausanne
-Lausanne Metro, Lausanne-Bern-Basel, a few tram moves-Basel St Johann-Basel SBB-London Stansted-Tottenham Hale-a few too many drinks in Battersea-Someone else's Airbnb floor in Wandsworth and not the coach I meant to be on :lol:

Plenty images to boot, as well...

523018, Cully by Richard Green, on Flickr

Sunrise, Lake Geneva, Lausanne by Richard Green, on Flickr

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
And now for something completely different- 24/08/18

It’s been a while- and I’ve struggled to keep up with reports- but i’ve spent the past week and a half abroad (with mixed results, all I’ll say is that 3hrs in Poland was enough to last a lifetime, while a day in Czechia was simply not enough, as you’ll read here).

The alarm had originally been set earlier in order to catch the 04:59 to Bad Schandau from Dresden Hbf, but I decided against this as I’d had a rotten previous day (bad weather, disruption, replacement buses running off without the train and vile vile staff in Thuringia) and opted for the more social 05:59 departure, having weighed up my options, and decided on a route via Most and Plzen to Prague where I’d meet up with a friend for some cheap drinks before my eyes headed for the prize in the form of some beastly diesel haulage. I was up and out for 05:25 and headed for the tram, and being so tired, boarded the wrong one :lol: I ended up running like the clappers across the main shopping area to meet my intended service and thankfully made it into the Hbf for 05:45, seeing the irritating ‘Wenige minuten später’ scrolling across my intended service’s slot on the screen. This seems to be a new DB invention- and most of the time it means a barely worth mentioning delay.

I picked up some supplies in the Spar Express before heading to the platform, to find my train pulling in on time anyway :lol: Dud 146017 was hauling the service this morning, and it was a healthy load to around Pirna where we gradually emptied out to the point of just two of us walking towards the cross-border service when we arrived at Bad Schandau, the conductor waiting for us to board 642037 before giving the RA with those coloured circles Czech staff seem to use. This seemed to be a properly designated unit for the U28 service, which runs from Rumburk, over the border into Sebnitz, through Bad Schandau, then back into the Czech Republic to terminate at Děčín hlavní nádraží. As such, it was a little posher than other units of its type, with USB ports under the seats.

146017, Bad Schandau by Richard Green, on Flickr

The conductor waited until we got over the border before doing tickets, with large amounts of people boarding at the unstaffed halts. I was pondering which language to address her in (as my tickets held- a VVO pass and Ceske Drahy All Liner- technically required a ticket to plug the gap between the borders) and settled on German in the end- not wanting to go into Little Englander mode :lol: Happily, she told me that she wouldn’t charge me anything extra and let me travel to Děčín on the combination I had. I think she was more bothered about chatting to the regulars over anything else, to be honest. On arrival, she yelled connection information down the carriage and came over to me and repeated the same in German which was helpful, though in actual fact, wrong, as she’d gotten the platforms the wrong way around!

642037, Děčín hlavní nádraží by Richard Green, on Flickr

My train to Most, the 07:30 service, was already sat there, but I noted a rather splendid looking green and cream 150209 shunting a motley rake of compartment stock on the 07:26 fast service to Prague, so I took that down to Usti nad Labem hlavní nádraží, which had a rather nice view of the castle on the hill, just as the heavens opened and we were subjected to a morning storm. Soon enough though, 162036 came in to take me to Most, complete with ancient stock that had brown leather seats and a partially collapsed floor :lol: It was however a fun journey through a variety of landscapes, although my heart sank a little as we approach Most and I noticed a load of GWTrain 628s sat in the yard. Surely not? Surely my onward train wasn’t one of those that has gone over to private? My fears were confirmed as the Plzen service was a GWTrain Regio one, and I quickly googled the fare (Ceske Drahy has no ticket arrangements with them), and while it was only around £4, I couldn’t find the conductor. Turns out it was a casually dressed lass who’d been chatting to the driver, but because my track coverage in Czechia is minimal I ended up picking a different route.

150209, Děčín hlavní nádraží by Richard Green, on Flickr

162036, Děčín hlavní nádraží by Richard Green, on Flickr

The late running service to Rakovnik came in, so I hopped aboard 814152 for a bouncy run into the countryside, which sharply came to a halt about 30 minutes in. ‘Autobuzu’ was uttered by the conductor, and following my experience in Slovakia, I knew the drill. I hopped off at Jesenice with everyone else, conductor included, and jumped onto a waiting SOR12 type bus for the short (only two stops) bus trip to Louny, where 814159 was waiting to take everyone along to Rakovnik. We were already 8L at Jesenice and remarkably were only 12L off Louny, and while that left me with a -2 for the train to Beroun, I wasn’t bothered as I knew it would wait. Instead I enjoyed the rolling scenery before we pulled into the station and I jogged down the platform/track/whatever onto 814122 and sat myself in the front compartment with the conductor.

Station, Louny by Richard Green, on Flickr

814159, Louny by Richard Green, on Flickr

It was a nice run, and amusingly, following the ticket check, the conductor pulled out some fruit and a pocket knife, munching away while he asked if I had change for a 200CZK note. Unfortunately I didn’t- and this was followed by asking where I was going. Yep, sure enough, bus once more. This time, it was between Roztoky and Nizbor. The former was a beautifully set little station in what I assume is a National Park, and we headed non-stop on a Setra coach to Nizbor, where 814023 was waiting for us. Again, remarkable efficiency as we all jumped on and headed off again with very little delay (although we had ended up 9L from a variety of factors, such as waiting at Rakovnik for me :lol: ). We were so keen to depart that we took off without a bus that had been running between the intermediate stations, cue an old bloke banging on the bus door as we sailed off. Considering the 1tp2h frequency, it’s a fair assumption that the bus would have probably had time to nip down to Beroun and return to Nizbor to pick up the next service.

Station, Roztoky by Richard Green, on Flickr

814023, Beroun by Richard Green, on Flickr

At Beroun, we all jumped off the platform and across the tracks and onto a waiting pair of 471022/471041, double deck CityElefant Skoda EMUs. As haulage goes, these are probably the dullest things you can get, but I didn’t have a choice (unless I wanted to wait for the ex-Plzen in 70 minutes), so I hopped on and it was an uneventful journey to Praha hlavní nádraží. From here, it was a series of Metro moves to Andel where I snapped a few trams before meeting up with a friend and having a pint for a whole £1.08. Action resumed at 15:54 from where I left off at Prague’s main station.

471041, Praha hl.n by Richard Green, on Flickr

3301, Metro Praha by Richard Green, on Flickr

Line 15 Tram, Praha by Richard Green, on Flickr

A little Class 810 DMU was waiting in the side platform, 810449, for the journey to Hostivice. This is one of the most fascinating little lines around Prague, the 1 car train stopping at Praha-Smíchov severní nástupiště, which is a side platform of the main Smichov station in the middle of a freight yard and carriage sidings, before snaking up the hill with some very pleasant views. I was however mindful of my connection as we were running late following some slow running (police were by the tracks so assume someone had gone for a wander that they were keen on talking to). As a result, I was resigned to rejigging my plans and using up the 60 minute contingency I had in place for getting back to Dresden (local services are sparse in the evenings- 20:41 then 22:55). However, I was surprised to see that the service to Kladno Ostrovec was still there and was waiting- so I dived in at the back door of the rake of red and cream carriages, and on arrival at the aforementioned rather quaint Ostrovec-ian Kladno station, it was confirmed to me that the rather exotic looking 714202 was on the front. The 714 locomotives date from 1995, having been rebuilt from the 735 class (they do indeed look rather ancient) and I stood in the pounding rain watching the loco uncouple and run around the stock, before drenching myself further watching it get coupled up again at the other end.

810449, Praha hl.n. by Richard Green, on Flickr

810224, Praha-Smíchov severní nástupiště by Richard Green, on Flickr

714202, Kladno Ostravec by Richard Green, on Flickr

These locomotives see very little passenger action, with the easiest diagram to get one in being the 16:05 from Praha-Bubny Vltavska to Kladno Ostrovec and return. It’s possible to get further locos in by doing short hops around Prague starting with this service- and so I do intend to try and visit again to up my numbers in an area otherwise dominated by wee railcars. I bailed on the return run at Kladno itself, which is a rather charming station with row upon row of tracks, with everyone waiting under the canopy before wandering over the tracks to their train. My next move was the service to Kralupy nad Vltavou, which had 814171 at the helm for the rural bounce as I headed back to the border. On arrival at Kralupy, I was weighing up various moves as I still had a +70 as it stood at Děčín, so some time wasting moves were welcome. However, all of them meant banking on a +9 onto the cross-border service, and with the ex-Prague fast being 15L, I didn’t fancy my chances on a similar fate with the next train.

714202, Kladno by Richard Green, on Flickr

814171, Kladno by Richard Green, on Flickr

I instead waited for the ex-Prague fast train, perhaps as far as Usti nad Labem. It was booked 151+stock, so imagine my face when a single 471064 rocked up full and standing! I boarded anyway- as the sky looked heavy, and took it through to Usti where I had a choice, waiting for the ex-Most stopper, or getting on the Liberec fast service. The Liberec was another train in original colours, and was formed of 843017 hauling a single piece of coaching stock (so basically a DMU+LHCS) which I hadn’t had yet today- so I jumped on board. Just as well, as the ex-Most was a 441 (new, plastic EMU) so I enjoyed some noisy DMU action back to Děčín, where I had around 50 minutes until the stopper. Or so I thought.

843017, Usti nad Labem hlavní nádraží by Richard Green, on Flickr

The EuroCity service to Leipzig was late- and while I’d have to pay, it was due at 20:15, and would see me connecting with the S-Bahn at Bad Schandau 30 minutes earlier, and of course it would see me getting locos all the way back to Dresden. I went online and paid the 5EUR or thereabouts for the 20 minute hop, downloaded the E-Ticket, and headed to the platform to see a nice shiny Vectron in the form of 193295 coming in. I located a compartment in the front carriage for myself, which had the lights knocked off. As a result, I had the most sedate and beautiful journey along the Elbe Valley as the daylight had one last hurrah in complete silence, aside for the muffled clickety clack of the stock. It was a quick ‘guten abend’ to the conductor, who scanned my ticket and went on her way without fuss, before I headed for the doors and hopped off at Bad Schandau. Definitely worth the extra ching.

193295, Děčín hlavní nádraží by Richard Green, on Flickr

Now, here’s where my luck peaked. I arrived at around 20:30, to connect with the 20:45 S-Bahn back to Dresden, which was proudly sat on the display across on the other platform island. The 21:15, my original intended service which would have left from the bay, was showing as ‘21:00- Pirna. Ersatzbus.’ With my train from Děčín being due in at 21:09, I’d have missed that and been resigned to the 21:45. Seems engineering works on the Elbe Valley had restricted the line to single line working, resulting in a reduction to 1tph in the off-peak. Hence, my little loco hauled move saved me quite a bit of time! It was down to 146013 to take me back to Dresden, with it being a peaceful journey in the Dostos stock to the Hbf. I’m glad to see the Dresden S-Bahn remaining a loco hauled stronghold, with 143s and 146s plying the routes all day long. However, the sight of a 442 Talent EMU, a dull piece of plastic which seems to be wrecking a lot of loco hauled opportunities on even longer distance routes (like the RE50 Saxonia from Leipzig to Dresden), on the S2 the following day leaves me fearful that DB might eventually pull the plug.

146013, Dresden Hbf by Richard Green, on Flickr

Back to the present, and I was off at Dresden Hbf and heading to the Ibis Budget via tram (correctly this time), ready for a nifty day bashing the S-Bahn before a trip north to Hannover and Hamburg. Report on that might make an appearance in time.

An excellent day out east.

alexf380

Established Member
Looks like you've really been enjoying yourself over there, Richard! A very long day, though, but worth it in the end. That 714 loco looks the business too.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Indeed- a very long day! But one I'd do again and again.

Going Loco- 25/08/18

The next morning I decided to leave getting up until a little later, deciding on the 8:41 S2 to Pirna and a loop around the rest of the National Park line from Pirna to Sebnitz and around to Bad Schandau, where I’d jump off and have a look at the Elbe Valley some more. And with that, I got myself up and ready, took the tram to Dresden Hbf and got myself to Lidl for some provisions before hopping on winner 143909 to Pirna, which was quite well loaded as it was a short formation of just two coaches strapped on the back. It was a decent enough run, and I wandered over to the side platform to find ‘Ersatzbus Neustadt-Sebnitz’ scrolling along the display, with a single carriage BR650 waiting. I knew that this would break the +9 I had at Sebnitz and decided against it- instead focusing on some loco bashing.

143909, Dresden Hbf by Richard Green, on Flickr

I headed back to the main platforms in time to hop on winner 146014 to Heidenau Süd, in order to make a cross platform connection onto dud 146017 to Königstein, which is beautifully set right on the Elbe, making for an easy spot of sightseeing while I awaited winner 146016 to Kurort Rathen, one stop back the way I’d come. It was here that I realised that last night’s engineering works were in fact a month long affair, with random off-peak services getting canned between Pirna and Bad Schandau. However, the services I needed on this section this morning were running weirdly fine, albeit a bit crammed in on the single line section. Eventually, a busy rake hauled by dud 146013 came in, bizarrely on the weekend special RE50 from Leipzig. I’d have thought this would be first to get canned in the event of works, but no, it was still running. Back to Königstein I went in time to intercept dud 146017 back north to Heidenau Großsedlitz, in a quick smash and grab session on the urban Dresden stations.

146014, Heidenau Sued by Richard Green, on Flickr

River Elbe, Koenigstein by Richard Green, on Flickr

146016, Kurort Rathen by Richard Green, on Flickr

Koenigstein Bhf by Richard Green, on Flickr

146011, River Elbe, Koenigstein by Richard Green, on Flickr

Winner 143885 took me back to Pirna, with a very tight connection under the subway allowing me to dive behind winner 143967 to Dresden-Reick. That was ⅔ of the S2 turns covered, and the third one was due any moment now. Imagine the look on my face when winner, but vermin, 442116 turned up! I don’t understand the point in running this as a unit- it was packed, and Dresden’s yards were full of locos and rakes. Hopefully this was just a last minute kick-out rather than a sign of things to come, with Dresden being the last bastion of pure S-Bahn loco haulage. I took the filthy thing to Dresden-Dobritz anyway, in order to take winner 146011 through Dresden and onto some new track (after Coswig) to Meißen Triebischtal. My plan here was quite simple. I stayed onboard back to Meißen Altstadt, where I planned to drop back onto the following service by having a walk around this very pretty town and ending at Meißen station, completing the trio of shacks here.

143967, Dresden-Reick by Richard Green, on Flickr

442116, Dresden-Dobritz by Richard Green, on Flickr

146011, Meißen Triebischtal by Richard Green, on Flickr

It was a very charming little place, lots of cobbled streets and old timey buildings, marred by an AfD stand (basically Germany’s answer to UKIP), as more backwards attitudes to race et al are more prevalent in the former East Germany. I climbed up to the castle, before running back down and across the river over the pedestrian/rail bridge, reaching Meißen with two minutes to spare before 146012 took me to Coswig (b. Dresden) where I had a +23 onto the RB to the Hbf which runs via a slightly different route. Winner 442149 was in charge for this run, and it was rather dull but saw the track ticked off nonetheless. I now had my sights on the final 143 diagram on the day, and that required a trip out to Dresden-Plauen aboard winner 1440328 (complete with Class 800 seats). The final S-Bahn line is rather odd as it’s merely a duplication of the Dresden-Chemnitz railway, served hourly by a single 143+2 Dostos shuttle between Dresden and Tharandt. A short wait followed before winner 143910 took me back to the Hbf.

Meißen, Kirche by Richard Green, on Flickr

Meißen, River Elbe by Richard Green, on Flickr

146012, Meißen by Richard Green, on Flickr

1440328, Dresden Hbf by Richard Green, on Flickr

143910, Dresden-Plauen by Richard Green, on Flickr

WIth time running out, my final move was a quick out and back to Dresden Mitte, with some DMU action seeing 642324 and 642345 roped in, the former being rather busy as it was headed all the way to Zittau, the latter being rather lightly loaded. Once back at the Hbf, I loaded up with supplies from Lidl once more before heading to Platform 17 and awaiting the 15:21 to Hannover. Back in the day this would have probably been a nice motley selection of hauled stock and a 101 or something older, but these days it’s a specially procured 146+Dostos rake. Winner 146560 was in charge today, with my seat being in first class for the 4hr trip. I had a single seat at the back of the carriage, and soon we were away, heading first to Leipzig where there was a swift change of direction.

642324, Dresden Mitte by Richard Green, on Flickr

Usually, the service runs via Halle (Salle) Hbf, but today we were going via Dessau, although I wasn’t complaining as Dessau northwards was required track. It was a pleasant run, albeit rather flat and samey, and a leg stretch was welcome at Magdeburg Hbf, where we had 10 minutes due to the route via Dessau being a little faster. It was here that I sat back down and proceeded to smack myself square above the eye on the luggage rack (double deck means lower headroom), ironically as I’d just thought to myself how daft it was that someone thought squashy double deck stock to be any good for Intercity. I nursed the lump on my head as we headed for Braunschweig/Brunswick, marred by a rather jolty stop/start run, but soon enough it was time to get off in Hannover and stretch the ol’ legs again, going down into the bowels of the shopping centre/subway and awaiting the 19:36 to Hamburg.

First Class, IC2444 Dresden-Hannover by Richard Green, on Flickr

146560, Hannover Hbf by Richard Green, on Flickr

The train arrived in a little early, it being an ICE2 set for this run, with winner 402030 powering. Just an ICE4 left to get then to say I’ve sampled all the types! It was a wonderfully comfortable ride via Celle, with bags of legroom in First, and a nice smooth run as far as just south of Uelzen, where we juddered to a stop. Signal fault seemed to be the issue, as we pulled up alongside a freight train complete with very bored looking driver. Single line working seemed to be in operation as we waited our turn (around half an hour) to proceed forwards. The rest of the journey went without a hitch, and I met my friend at Hamburg Hbf shortly after 21:30 ready for a few drinks on the Reeperbahn before catching the S-Bahn back to his place in Krupunder, where I was to be based for the next few nights.

402030, Hannover Hbf by Richard Green, on Flickr

Some bashing does indeed follow!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Enjoyed reading this Richard. When are you posting the next lot?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
It has been an exceptionally long time! (Sorry to disappoint you Mr Cowley ^)

Unfortunately University has meant that time has been limited for writing up reports, but the bashing does continue, mostly in Europe.

I've taken the opportunity to do a Global and Benelux Interrail this January.

The Global one was centred mostly on Switzerland and Southern Germany, seeing some gorgeous scenery on the way and getting some interesting haulage in the books, with a small foray into the Czech Republic. I then headed home from Nürnberg to Newcastle via Frankfurt, Düsseldorf, Aachen, a brief diversion to Eupen, Brussels, Tournai, Lille and London. It was the longest rail journey I've done in a day by far at around 960 miles.

I'm currently on the Benelux pass which is First Class so I can have some peace and space (having just finished exams). Belgium has been a decent success (a few 21s under my belt which are getting more scarce by the day) and not too many of those hateful AM08 units which will quite literally appear on anything.

Coming to you from the 0744 Brussels to Amsterdam, sandwiched between 186004 and 186202, with this foray into the land of the Dutch being mostly about track, although a scoop of 1700s on Alkmaar, Enkhuizen and Berlin IC workings is due too.

Reports in some form (probably one each summing up each trip with pictures) may well come at the back end of the week.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Another resurrection time, this time hopefully more promising as my second year of university has finished (and has been finished for a while!)

Life update- I'm no longer a teenager and I'm in a happy, healthy relationship- to the extent we're off on an Interrail together next month! (And I've arranged it so it involves maximum loco haulage and new track getting between places). I haven't actually had that much time or money during termtime to do rail based bashing in the UK, with a couple of Euro bashes happening up to March (including a Czech one which I booked for my own sanity following a pretty naff time mentally- it worked surprisingly well!)

Instead I've been doing bits of bus bashing, which while not as enthralling as using the train is a nice way to see other parts of the country cheaply- e.g. for £7.30 last week I did a nice loop from Hailsham to Hailsham via Hastings, Canterbury and Ashford!

Onto the latest rail musings...

I'm currently coming to the end of a DIY ALR so to speak, which is proving to be good fun! It's taken in Anglia, London, Kent, Devon, and most of Wales, and I hope to have a report up on it very soon!

Hope all is well with everybody.

Established Member
Another resurrection time, this time hopefully more promising as my second year of university has finished (and has been finished for a while!)

Life update- I'm no longer a teenager and I'm in a happy, healthy relationship- to the extent we're off on an Interrail together next month! (And I've arranged it so it involves maximum loco haulage and new track getting between places). I haven't actually had that much time or money during termtime to do rail based bashing in the UK, with a couple of Euro bashes happening up to March (including a Czech one which I booked for my own sanity following a pretty naff time mentally- it worked surprisingly well!)

Instead I've been doing bits of bus bashing, which while not as enthralling as using the train is a nice way to see other parts of the country cheaply- e.g. for £7.30 last week I did a nice loop from Hailsham to Hailsham via Hastings, Canterbury and Ashford!

Onto the latest rail musings...

I'm currently coming to the end of a DIY ALR so to speak, which is proving to be good fun! It's taken in Anglia, London, Kent, Devon, and most of Wales, and I hope to have a report up on it very soon!

Hope all is well with everybody.

Ya alreet bonny lad. Hows it ganning? Just caught up with all this Euro bashing, sounds like you've had a canny time of it. I must admit I do like reading folks euro jaunts, I do go on youtube afterwards and see what they sound like. The almost musical Taurus, I think that's what it was called anyway, was well weird.
Frankfurt to Newcastle, not many can say theyve done that by rail in a day.
Healthy relationship too. Does that mean we'll need to remove the mothballs from our suits n get em dry cleaned soon and let the missus's they need a new hat?;) As an ole mate said to me once, bout time you got married son, we've all suffered, dont see why you should get away with it.:lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on getting into a relationship, that on its own is quite an achievement! Sounds like it's going rather well, can't be bad going if you're going on an InterRail adventure together!

I get the going on a trip for one's own sanity, done it way too often and there is a need for such a thing again here. Only 50 days to go! Glad it worked for you, nothing quite like escaping away on a trip to sort out one's head!

Exploring by bus is not a bad way of doing things, I've done it before too and it makes a nice change sometimes. Especially handy for tight budgets!

I look forward to reading about your adventures!

Status
Not open for further replies.