• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT dispute on XC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
My understanding is that the dispute is nothing to do with bringing Sundays fully within the working week but how the Sunday overtime is covered.

Currently, I understand, if the TM is shown as working a overtime sunday in the base roster and doesn't want to work it, they notify their roster department and it is upto the rostering team to find alternative cover for that Sunday duty.

XC drivers have 'committed' Sundays, also overtime outside the core working week. If a driver doesn't want to work their Sunday they are committed to it unless they can find a fellow driver to work it for them. The onus is all on the driver to sort the cover out, not the rostering team.

My understanding is that xc want to bring the TM arrangements in line with the drivers, moving all to 'committed'' Sundays and this is the core of the dispute. This is what a couple of xc drivers have told me, but happy to be corrected by a xc TM or someone at the heart of the dispute.

That would make sense. My understanding is that some sort of "rostering abuse", ie attempt not to follow the agreed rostering process (which the above would be) has cause the whole issue of Sundays being outside the working week to be opened up.

Its eminently possible that CrossCountry we're just trying to get rid of the task of finding cover for TMs, and have found the whole thing has blown up into a dispute much bigger than they could have imagined.

gavin

Strikes SUSPENDED following "significant progress in talks with the company"

The union is able to confirm that a new rostering deal has been tabled by management following long and protracted negotiations. After careful consideration and noting this development, the union’s National Executive Committee has decided to suspend the planned industrial action. Therefore, all the strike action which was due to start on Saturday 20th January 2018, Sunday 21st January 2018 and Sunday 28th January 2018 has been suspended and our members are instructed to work as normal on those days. This shows yet again what can be achieved when trade union members stand together. I congratulate our members for standing firm, it was their determination and unity which has secured this breakthrough and ensured Cross Country came back to the table with an improved offer.”

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/arriva-cross-country-industrial-action-suspended/

BestWestern

Established Member
That would make sense. My understanding is that some sort of "rostering abuse", ie attempt not to follow the agreed rostering process (which the above would be) has cause the whole issue of Sundays being outside the working week to be opened up.

Its eminently possible that CrossCountry we're just trying to get rid of the task of finding cover for TMs, and have found the whole thing has blown up into a dispute much bigger than they could have imagined.

It would be unfathomably stupid for an employer to seriously think they could get away with introducing enforced overtime, against the wishes and the contracts of their staff.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
It would be unfathomably stupid for an employer to seriously think they could get away with introducing enforced overtime, against the wishes and the contracts of their staff.

I'd not heard that as an aspect of this.

More that rather than the rosters office dealing with finding cover, that they were attempting to align this process with drivers where the drivers themselves have the task of finding cover.

BestWestern

Established Member
I'd not heard that as an aspect of this.

More that rather than the rosters office dealing with finding cover, that they were attempting to align this process with drivers where the drivers themselves have the task of finding cover.

If the above posts were accurate, Drivers have to work their booked sundays - it is mandatory. They can get out of it only if they find a willing volunteer to do it for them. Guards' sundays are entirely optional, it is the company's responsibility to arrange cover for turns if the booked Guard wishes not to work it. If the turn cannot be covered, it is no concern of the booked Guard, who remains entitled not to work it because it is overtime. By moving to the same position as the Drivers, there would have been an obligation for the Guard to work their sunday if they themselves couldn't cover it. That is a move to enforced overtime, and is a very significant change.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
If the above posts were accurate, Drivers have to work their booked sundays - it is mandatory. They can get out of it only if they find a willing volunteer to do it for them. Guards' sundays are entirely optional, it is the company's responsibility to arrange cover for turns if the booked Guard wishes not to work it. If the turn cannot be covered, it is no concern of the booked Guard, who remains entitled not to work it because it is overtime. By moving to the same position as the Drivers, there would have been an obligation for the Guard to work their sunday if they themselves couldn't cover it. That is a move to enforced overtime, and is a very significant change.

You are of course absolutely right. Having reread this all I think I've confused this situation with another where drivers and guards are all committed but with different administrative processes at another TOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.