• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Robert Humm books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Hello,just a quick question. Has anyone purchased books from Robert Humm? They have an out of print book that I require but have never had dealings with them. Are they reliable?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
Hello,just a quick question. Has anyone purchased books from Robert Humm? They have an out of print book that I require but have never had dealings with them. Are they reliable?
He has a good reputation. I've visited his shop and followed him on Twitter for a while, and he seems like a really nice guy. He sent out a catalogue a few weeks ago and wrote that he was thinking of retiring soon, as he is in his 70s and that he might publish one more catalogue.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Sorry no. Once had a look round the bookshop when it was at Stamford station, but I think they've moved since.

Gloster

Established Member
He is supposed to have a very good reputation, although I have never dealt with him. The fact that he operates out of a shop suggests that he likely to be reliable. I have been meaning to visit his shop for several years as I have to go to Stamford sometime to sign a document, but the other person involved won’t fix a date (they will lose more than me due to delays). When I asked about tickets to Stamford in Ryde Esplanade, the girl told me where the hospital is: it turned she had had to visit someone there.

bspahh

Established Member
I am completely confident that he will be honest. Its always possible that he could get ill. I visited the shop about a year ago, and it was tidy and well organised. The shop has limited opening hours so you should check, and possibly book an appointment if you plan to visit.

Magdalia

Established Member
Robert Humm has been in business since before the internet. The shop moved into the town in 2016 having been at the station for more than a quarter of a century.

I also have never dealt with him, but he has a good reputation, apart perhaps for being a bit on the expensive side, which is because he has a shop not just mail order.

And if you are going to the shop, Stamford is a nice place to visit.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Thanks for your replies. I’ll be using his mail order service which is advertised as £10 delivery. It’s a book I’ve been after for a while so I don’t mind the fee as long as it arrives.

Taunton

Established Member
Decent chap. Have bought from him since, before being at the railway station in Stamford, he had a shop in Chiswick. How long ago was that?

swanhill41

A1 seller..Dealt with him a lot from 2005 till he closed the station shop...He's a great character to chat too,having a very pronounced voice accent!..Very surprised he bought the shop as he was in early 70's at the time and frankly he was surprised how much work it was...As a person and seller he is the best...Note he never attempts to list online more than a small percentage of his stock,so it always pays to ring him and check whether he has it in stock..

Status
Not open for further replies.