• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling Stock Seating Capacities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Sorry if something like this already exists, but I thought it would be useful to have a reference for the seating capacity of various types of stock. Also, the factors which contribute to the capacity should also be noted, eg. number of toilets, seating layout (1+2, 2+2, 2+3 etc.).

I'll start with some I've found online, please correct me if I've got anything wrong and please help expand the information.

DMUs

Class 158 Express Sprinter / Alphaline (2-car)
Seating Layout: 2+2
Standard Class Seats: 134 (ATW), 110 (Scotrail)
First Class Seats: 0 (ATW), 14 (Scotrail)
Standard Toilets: 1
Accessible Toilets: 1
Carriage Length: 23m​

Class 170 Turbostar (TPE 2-car)
Standard Class Seats: 103
First Class Seats: 8

Class 170 Turbostar (3-car)
Standard Class Seats: 179 (Scotrail)
First Class Seats: 18 (Scotrail)
Standard Toilets: ?

Class 175 (3-car)
Seating Layout: 2+2 (spacious)
Standard Class Seats: 189
First Class Seats: 0

Class 175 (2-car)
Seating Layout: 2+2 (spacious)
Standard Class Seats: 121

Class 185 Pennine Desiro
Standard Class Seats: 154
First Class Seats: 15
Carriage Length: 23m

LHCS

Mark 3 TSO (ATW)
Standard Class Seats: 70
Accessible Toilets: 0

Mark 3 RFM (ATW)
Seating Layout: 2+1
Standard Class Seats: 0
First Class Seats: 18
Accessible Toilets: 0

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boothby97

Established Member
Sorry if something like this already exists, but I thought it would be useful to have a reference for the seating capacity of various types of stock. Also, the factors which contribute to the capacity should also be noted, eg. number of toilets, seating layout (1+2, 2+2, 2+3 etc.).

I'll start with some I've found online, please correct me if I've got anything wrong and please help expand the information.

Class 185 Pennine Desiro

Standard Class Seats: 154

First Class Seats: 15

Accessible Toilets: 0​

Class 170 Turbostar (TPE 2-car)

Standard Class Seats: 103

First Class Seats: 8

Accessible Toilets: ?​

Class 185 has 1 accessible toilet
Class 170 (TPE) has 1 accessible toilet and 1 standard toilet

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I did something sort of similar ages ago- and some of the data is likely out of date now. Also, I was only doing "Intercity" stock.
Thanks, I'll have to go through and copy that information across sometime. My aim with this topic is a little different though, I'm trying to see what effect things like toilets and spacious seating like a 175 have on total seating capacity.

Class 185 has 1 accessible toilet
Class 170 (TPE) has 1 accessible toilet and 1 standard toilet
Thanks. I'll update the 170 now. With the 185, is that instead of the standard toilet or as well as?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I thought it would be useful to have a reference for the seating capacity of various types of stock.

Without wishing to cause trouble am I allowed to ask why?

I am more worried about what the seats and like and how comfortable they are. After all, if the seats are horrible or they vibrate like crazy the layout doesn’t matter!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Class 185s have two toilets one standard and one accessible.
Ok thanks, updated. Is the accessible toilet in the first class section, since I once walked right through standard and only found 1 toilet?

Without wishing to cause trouble am I allowed to ask why?

I am more worried about what the seats and like and how comfortable they are. After all, if the seats are horrible or they vibrate like crazy the layout doesn’t matter!
For me at least, legroom is an important factor in comfort. Sure it also helps to have nice seats (the 175s score highly on legroom, and the shape of the seats is quite good, but the seats are a bit too hard).

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok thanks, updated. Is the accessible toilet in the first class section, since I once walked right through standard and only found 1 toilet?

No it's in standard class on other other side of the first class compartment next to the driving cab. Admittedly it's a bit hidden but I did think there were signs at the other end of coach A pointing towards it.

For me at least, legroom is an important factor in comfort. Sure it also helps to have nice seats (the 175s score highly on legroom, and the shape of the seats is quite good, but the seats are a bit too hard).

I wonder if it wouldn't be better avoid anything like legroom or comfort (unless there is some objective measure that can be used) as those sorts of things are really down to personal prefernce/opinion. For instance I think the 185s have good leg room and would qualify as being 'spacious'.

rebmcr

Established Member
Is the accessible toilet in the first class section, since I once walked right through standard and only found 1 toilet?

There is an additional Standard section on the far side of 1st, which is essentially a very large vestibule with some longitudal seats and the accessible toilet, comprising half of the carriage.

starrymarkb

Established Member

Legroom and density are not always related in the way you think they are.

FGW HSTs have very good leg room despite being high density on paper.

Similarly Lufthansa reduced the pitch on their short haul fleet but by clever seat design they increased legroom..

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There is an additional Standard section on the far side of 1st, which is essentially a very large vestibule with some longitudal seats and the accessible toilet, comprising half of the carriage.
Ah, that explains that.

Status
Not open for further replies.