• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling stock that you regret not riding

Status
Not open for further replies.

class387

Established Member
Any rolling stock that you wish you rode more before they were withdrawn?

For me, I wish that I rode the A Stock more before they came off the Metropolitan line - I still remember waiting for an S Stock as they were being introduced while countless A Stock went by. I also don't remember riding the 465/1s before they were remotored, even though I remember the 465/2s, so wish I rode one of those instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
370. While not rolling stock I could sit in for haulage 89, 58. If I can push my luck Concorde ;)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
For me it would be the Met Cam Blue Pullman units, APT-P, Class 123 Swindon Intercity DMUs. Locomotives: The LMS prototype diesel electrics 10000/1 & Southern Railway 10201-3, DELTIC, HS4000 Kestrel, Warship Class 41/42/43, the unique Brush Class 53 & Class 83&84 AC electric locomotives.

In my lifetime, the Devon Bell Observation Car/s from Waterloo to Exeter and return, The Brighton Bell - 5 Bel EMUs, Bournemouth Bell's Pullmans, The Pines Express in full Bullied coach set.

gazthomas

Established Member
For me it would be the Met Cam Blue Pullman units, APT-P, Class 123 Swindon Intercity DMUs. Locomotives: The LMS prototype diesel electrics 10000/1 & Southern Railway 10201-3, DELTIC, HS4000 Kestrel, Warship Class 41/42/43, the unique Brush Class 53 & Class 83&84 AC electric locomotives.
Yes of course, the Blue Pullman units.

We will be able to ride the Brighton Belle again soon!

fowler9

Established Member
I'll be honest, given the year I was born in and how much money I had available I am quite happy with what I managed. If I had more money I could perhaps have managed more 25's, 40's and 45's. Only units I've never had which I would have liked to have done are 442's and the APT-P's.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Although it's technically not too laye, class 373 for me. ALTHOUGH, I am going on ES this weekend so fingers crossed that I get a 373 :)

6Gman

Established Member

I missed Falcon by a few minutes after a Reading DD Open Day!

6Gman

Established Member
Only units I've never had which I would have liked to have done are 442's and the APT-P's.

442s were brilliant; as were the 4TCs. Lovely comfy seats.

Don't regret missing the APT-P - you'd only have been sick! :D

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I missed Falcon by a few minutes after a Reading DD Open Day!

I could imagine you were absolutely gutted! Just like I was for missing a one and only chance to ride behind Warship D805 Benbow from Plymouth to Bodmin Road back in 1972 :frown:

fowler9

Established Member
442s were brilliant; as were the 4TCs. Lovely comfy seats.

Don't regret missing the APT-P - you'd only have been sick! :D
Ha ha. Would have been an experience on the APT-P anyway. Never been sick on a train, done it on a ferry. Did TC's from Waterloo to Southampton and back with pairs of 73's hauling them (Prior to the 442's coming in to service), lots of fun. Did side trips from Southampton to Portsmouth behind 33's when I got there. All very exciting for someone from Liverpool. Ha ha. In general multiple units leave me cold, they really don't interest me in general and I doubt that is something that will change. I still like traveling by train and some units I like more than others but there you go.

_toommm_

Established Member
Grand Central HST's - the interior intrigued me quite a bit and the non-stop run from York would be quite fun imo

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Im going to restrict myself to things I could actually have ridden on, so anything in traffic beyond February 1982:

Class 124 Trans-Pennine units*.
Class 370 APT-P.
Class 151s.
Class 140.
Class 485/486s.
LHCS behind classes 25; 26; 27; 33; 81-85.

*= I may have been carried on one as a small child, but I have no recollection of it so it doesn't count!

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
These are all ones which would have been possible had I more presence of mind at the time, or had circumstances been slightly different.

The preserved 2BIL whilst it was still maintained on the Southern. Did travel on the preserved 4SUB travelling in tandem with it once though.

Loco hauled on the S&C whilst I was living in Leeds. Wasn't such of a railway enthusiast at that stage.

Class 310 up the WCML when I first lived up North.

Hastings thumper on the Whitby branch - was at uni in Lancaster at the time.

The VEP with a TC driving trailer. Saw it about a few times but it was always going in the wrong direction.

More 1st class compartment travel on the slammers while I had the chance.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Class 504s (withdrawn when I was 4, so reliant on my dad taking me on one!)

Southern region slam door units on non-Lymington services.

Bringback309s

Class 151 as mentioned already - does anyone have any pics of the interior?
Class 303 / 311. Anything side-corridor - the first 442 first class interior was great

6Gman

Established Member
I could imagine you were absolutely gutted! Just like I was for missing a one and only chance to ride behind Warship D805 Benbow from Plymouth to Bodmin Road back in 1972 :frown:

We'd been to the Open Day. There was a DMU shuttle back to the station. We let one go because it was absolutely packed. As we waited for the next one Falcon breezed past on a Bristol - Paddington which we would have caught had we squeezed onto the first shuttle.

Frustration indeed.

6Gman

Established Member
But my biggest frustration was not recording everything I travelled on from an earlier age!

e.g. the only steam locos I know I've travelled behind were 70026 Polar Star and 34100 Bere Alston.

GW43125

Established Member
I regret never doing London-Brighton on a 442 despite telling myself multiple times I would.
I only ever did one run with them on SN. The 1B47 run, what a cracking run it was. I wish I could have done it before.

Established Member
Class 121s for me. Trains I wanted to do for ages and was inches away from doing them on the last day but for reasons beyond my control, I didn't do them. I wished I did them earlier and stopped pushing them aside.

Mikey C

Established Member
I can't think of any stock I regret not riding which I could have

My regret is that I can't remember much about some of the old stock I've been on! The R stock on the District Line, heritage diesels on Cornwall branch lines, Mk2? carriages in NSE livery etc

Status
Not open for further replies.