• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Room 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
How are these ratings calculated and what was the actual number used in order to calculate these percentages.? Are there regional figures for ratings, which might show differences from area to area. I tend to disregard such "blanket" figure statistics. You have quoted these percentage figures...give actual figure breakdowns that will substantiate your statement.

Squaddie provided figures to debunk your incorrect statement that audience numbers had dropped. Fairly easy to understand. Countdown has increased its veiwership by 22% and audience share (people watching at that time of day) by 17% since Nick Hewer took over. What relevance is there in regional share? Your original assertion made no reference to regions. Disagree all you want, but don't dismiss.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/nick-hewer-brings-ratings-boost-to-countdown

What you could've done, rather than challenge Squaddie's accurate information, was back up your own assertion that the Countdown audience figure had dropped since Nick Hewer took over.

So, if you do disagree with the figures Squaddie provided (which I've checked, concur and provided a link to) can we see figures to back up your statement please. A statement that appeared to be more about personal opinion than fact.

I tend to disregard such "blanket" figure statistics.

Perhaps you should change your signature then.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
BARB reporting (probably the place from which the figures came), I believe, uses special boxes attached to 5100 users' television equipment (with their consent, of course), distributed proportionally based on total number of viewers over BBC and ITV regions, also distributed proportionally among the demographics for each region. The people in the house must press a button whenever they enter/leave a room with a television, so that the individual people within the house (eg different ages) can also be tracked.

So the totals are based on a figure of 5100. What percentage will this be of the total televiewing audience ? From the requirements of those involved, it seems that "1984" is alive and well in Britain today.:roll:

Muzer

Established Member
So the totals are based on a figure of 5100. What percentage will this be of the total televiewing audience ? From the requirements of those involved, it seems that "1984" is alive and well in Britain today.:roll:
So people volunteering (maybe even being paid? I don't know) to have their viewing habits monitored, for the sole purpose of letting advertisers and channel operators know which programmes are more popular with which people (without which, advertising on television wouldn't make anywhere near as much money as it does, as advertisers simply wouldn't know whether their adverts are getting seen or not), is now constant surveillance and erasure of history? Impressive deduction...

Bear in mind with the 5100 people being used, that 51 people would have to act out of the ordinary for it to alter the statistic by 1%. Chances of that happening are probably reasonably slim, I would imagine (but feel free to prove me wrong!)

Status
Not open for further replies.