• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Route also available at"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW16

My season ticket that is valid "between London terminals and Gidea Park" has "Emerson Park" printed underneath the heading "Route also available at". I asked a member of staff what this meant and she did not know; does anyone here know?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It means that as well as being valid to travel from Gidea Park to London Terminals you can also travel from Emerson Park to London Terminals. This means you could travel via Barking into Fenchurch Street.

JW16

So I could travel either from Emerson Park-Romford-Liverpool St or Emerson Park-Upminster-Fenchurch St, and between Romford-Upminster?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So I could travel either from Emerson Park-Romford-Liverpool St or Emerson Park-Upminster-Fenchurch St, and between Romford-Upminster?

Yes. A season ticket can be used to start/stop short at any of the stations along its route of validity.

Veteran Member
Interesting that the AAA ticket and the ANY PERMITTED are priced the same - perhaps there was a difference in pre-Zones days?

MichaelAMW

Interesting that the AAA ticket and the ANY PERMITTED are priced the same - perhaps there was a difference in pre-Zones days?

My random 2002 prices manual has all three of Gidea Park, Emerson Park and Romford with the same price of about £34 for a weekly, but at that time there was no "AAA" season offered for any of those stations, at least not in that publication. They may have been listed elsewhere, I guess.

I have thought before that AAA seasons are an excellent product for the commuter but I feel they are not at all widely appreciated.

some bloke

Established Member
The season from Harold Wood (also AAA Emerson Park) is the same price - seems worth buying in case it's ever useful.

LowLevel

Established Member

That often seems to be the case. The main one on my patch is Carlton to Nottingham AAA Netherfield and vice versa. The ticket not displaying AAA is the same fare. I always issue the AAA version in case it helps the passenger figures.

Silver Cobra

The Great Northern routes also have their fair share of 'AAA' routed London Terminals season tickets available. While all of them are a bit more expensive than their 'Any Permitted' counterparts, the extra travel options some of them enable more than make up for the increased cost. The four I've spotted are the following (which are also available in the vice versa):

Arlesey AAA Letchworth
Biggleswade AAA Ashwell & Morden
St Neots AAA Cambridge
Huntingdon AAA Cambridge

The St Neots one in particular is very good value, as for only 90p more than the 'Any Permitted' 7-day season, it enables travel between Hitchin and Cambridge.

Sandy seems to be the only station between Hitchin and Peterborough that doesn't have one of these. I'd also be interested to know why the Biggleswade one is to Ashwell & Morden rather than Baldock or Royston, for example.

Veteran Member
I'd also be interested to know why the Biggleswade one is to Ashwell & Morden rather than Baldock or Royston, for example.
Baldock would be the obvious one - I wonder if it was a response to a request? Customer friendliness is not unheard of :)
There were plenty of AAA tickets on the SR back in the day, and I imagine still are.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I don't think there is any passenger facing information about 'AAA' season tickets, which is a shame given their potential utility.

Jona26

I don't think there is any passenger facing information about 'AAA' season tickets, which is a shame given their potential utility.

Apart from looking at individual stations on BRfares.com. AAA alternatives are listed there where available for season tickets.

ISTR that there was a recent thread showing an extract from IKB that had all the AAA (season and non-season options).

I can't find it now but I think it was in the Ticketing sub-forum and related to journeys from West Wales.

some bloke

Established Member
ISTR that there was a recent thread showing an extract from IKB that had all the AAA (season and non-season options).

Seems to fit the description:

An updated file

Edit: The updated file is also available in section 3.8 of the Fares & Ticketing Guide, Inter-available origins & destinations.

RailUK Fares & Ticketing Guide - Section 3 - Routeing

Edit 2: Gidea Park and Emerson Park aren't mentioned in that file (dated 25 June). Perhaps there are more AAA tickets which are not mentioned there.

Last edited:

OwlMan

Established Member
Seems to fit the description:

Edit: The updated file is also available in section 3.8 of the Fares & Ticketing Guide, Inter-available origins & destinations.

RailUK Fares & Ticketing Guide - Section 3 - Routeing

Edit 2: Gidea Park and Emerson Park aren't mentioned in that file (dated 25 June). Perhaps there are more AAA tickets which are not mentioned there.
That list is nothing to do with aaa tickets, details of which are included with the fare data.

some bloke

Established Member
OK - thanks, I assumed too much.

It's good that tickets are so simple for passengers to understand.

philjo

Established Member
Sandy seems to be the only station between Hitchin and Peterborough that doesn't have one of these. I'd also be interested to know why the Biggleswade one is to Ashwell & Morden rather than Baldock or Royston, for example.

Most of the villages east of Biggleswade are linked by road directly to Biggleswade or towards Ashwell so Ashwell & Morden is the closest alternative station.
Presumably if Royston was used the fare would be higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.