• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward111

has anybody got any tips on route building, i started building a route but when i put a tunnel in the track goes on top of the moutain? can some body please help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Decapod

I'm new to railworks too but I've succeeded in making a tunnel. There are a couple of useful YouTube videos.
The route I'm doing at the moment is single-track so I used single tunnel-track (track in a tunnel), which is linear and you lay it just like other track - it will go through a hill. What you need to do is place a tunnel decal - from the track menu - over where you want the hole in the hill - and that makes the section covered by the centre of the decal invisible but at this stage the tunnel entrance looks untidy and unrealistic. So you place a suitable tunnel entrance over it and it really works.
The decal is adjustable, if it's too big you can see 'invisibility' around the tunnel entrance - too small and the entrance is partially blocked. It's a bit fiddly first time but when you come to tidy up the other end of the tunnel you'll know how to do it!

Here's where I found out how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8z0IyNBL6M Try the different tunnel tracks an you'll find there are a couple that include the tunnel 'tube' - much easier!

You can do the same for a double track tunnel except you have to lay the double track tunnel and its track separately, I think.

43021HST

Established Member
has anybody got any tips on route building, i started building a route but when i put a tunnel in the track goes on top of the moutain? can some body please help.

Heres a tip, DONT BOTHER!!!! The track is impossible bend to shape, the splines are fiddly and the signals are impossible to set up.

The Decapod

Heres a tip, DONT BOTHER!!!! The track is impossible bend to shape, the splines are fiddly and the signals are impossible to set up.

I've been building a route and I'm quite new to Railworks - I haven't had any problem with bending the track to shape and I seem to have got signals working although they don't seem to be sensitive to direction on a single track yet!

Darandio

Established Member

Quite a bold statement! I'll guess the main cause for your frustration is that you don't know what you are doing. Always makes me laugh when I see people say this kind of stuff, how do you think others manage?

I argee with Darandio, it is funny when you get folks saying don't bother. however i was of the same opinion as klambert but found a couple of helpful vids on youtube and have also downloaded some helpful files from uktrainsim and yes i still struggle but i kept trying and i'm getting the hang of it admittedly i havent fiddled with my creation for a few months (work) but once i'm in the frame of mind i'll get back on it. but i have started doing a scenario so don't give up and keep trying yes it's frustraiting and you may want to smash it up but take 5 make a brew and only do a little at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.