• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routes that should be re-opened

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 313

Established Member
Yes, Thameslink 2000 *cough*2007*cough* Should have priority. But FCC don't have any more trains to start with the increased slots FCC will have.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

They had the opportunity of a completely new 377 build a few months back.

T

Tom

They would have taken about 1.5 years to build, and they would have been a reasonable replacement for the 319s.

Nick W

Established Member
If you reduced max speed to 100 mph on the ECML south of Peterborough you would make available another 6 paths an hour at the cost of a few minutes delay for intercity trains.

Ah but then the trains would end up taking longer doing the journey and need to run more or later trains to make up for the loss of seats.

Remember the lack of 140mph on the WCML meant that Virgin needed more trains to achieve the same number of "seats".

Thameslink 2000 Should have priority.
Thameslink 1863 ;) is coming along and there should be a link from the slow lines out of kings cross at some point. As for the south of London around blackfriars....

There's not likely to be a link at paddington or liverpool street though, nor is crossrail 1875 likely to be built.

Tom C

They had the opportunity of a completely new 377 build a few months back.

First were told from the outset that the existing Thameslink franchise would have no new trains whatsoever. The new 377 build was specificially for Southern .

T

Tom

Must have been for the old TL franchise then, as I'm sure I heard Bombardier offered a new dual voltage 377 build.

class 313

Established Member
Must have been for the old TL franchise then, as I'm sure I heard Bombardier offered a new dual voltage 377 build.

No, the old "Thameslink" TOC as well were not allowed to replace 319s until the contract with the 319s had ran out if IIRC

paul1609

Established Member
Ah but then the trains would end up taking longer doing the journey and need to run more or later trains to make up for the loss of seats.

Remember the lack of 140mph on the WCML meant that Virgin needed more trains to achieve the same number of "seats".

In this case the time delay would be marginal about 3 minutes. Could probably be dealt with with the existing timetable. Class 90s can keep time to Leeds even with a maximum speed of 110 mph.

KODIAK BEAR

Well, it has to be the S & D.

Poole to broadstone would need to be diverted slightly as it is built on but the line from broadstone to blandford is fairly intact.

paul1609

Established Member
I dont actually think that even 6 minutes is that critical and I would suggest that on most routes that could be recovered by better pathing elsewhere. Certainly every time I go to leeds the train seems to crawl along after a stopper past Doncaster. I dont really see why Welwyn North should close to provide capacity for low desity InterCity services.
An even more radical plan would be to terminate all Diesel services at "London Stevenage" with passengers changing to high desity commuter trains. The use of ECML paths by 4 car demus is particularly wasteful.

TheSlash

Established Member
Gosport is a should while Meon Valley is a woud like
I'd like to see an impartial study into how much traffic could be removed from the Bournemouth Mainline by re opening the Meon Valley line in some form, combined with re modelling Fareham.

Mintona

Established Member
I'd love to see my local Hereford-Ross-Gloucester line re-open, but I fear it won't happen anytime soon.

Spaceflower

Established Member
does anyone know what effect a line reopening (i mean a station ofcourse) has on surrounding property prices. would this be considered in a study?

tedted

I'd like the line from Chesterfield Market Place to reopen. Also preferably a metro for the Chesterfield area.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
How about using the Clitheroe to Hellifield line, extend Manchester to Clitheroe trains to Hellifield, in order to provide a link from Manchester/Bolton/Blackburn/Clitheroe to stations over the S&C and beyond, changing at Hellifield?

The Sunday Dalesrail service is well loaded according to the Ribble Valley rail website, and so, I assume a weekday link towards the S&C would do well.
Perhaps a market for weekday day trippers could be catered for?

Edit: The Blackpool North to Carlisle service is formed of 2x156's

me123

Established Member
does anyone know what effect a line reopening (i mean a station ofcourse) has on surrounding property prices. would this be considered in a study?

The Waverley Line is reopening at Galasheils in Scotland, and prices there are soaring. The new link isn't even open yet!

I think most of the lines in Scotland that interest me that should be reopened are being reopened. Airdrie Bathgate, Alloa and Waverley are three key routes that are in the process of reopening as we speak.

I would like to see the latter line terminate at Berwick-on-Tweed though, providing a link to GNER services to England without having to travel North first of all. I see they are linking a line back to Carlisle which, if used for passenger services, will be useful in lieu of this.

Other than that, I can't really think what else can be reopened.

Spaceflower

Established Member
I see they are linking a line back to Carlisle which, if used for passenger services, will be useful in lieu of this.

where abouts?

i think the leamside line (tyneside-ferryhill, via washington) should be opened as a relief line for the ECML, with a tyne-tees express via stillington.

i would like to see a station opened 100 yards from me, just for me:razz:

me123

Established Member
Yup, they do. Of course, a lot of it's SNP trying to get a nationalism refferendum, which isn't going to happen and if it does noone would want it.

me123

Established Member
Wow, pretty stupid people in the government if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.